Hard 1/4"grade 5's

dansweeney

I did a few searches, but could not find anything. Im working on getting my reverse to Bastard level, and need a source for "Hard" 6" Grade 5's(Cal over 400) since I plan on bending them for volume. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I did a few searches, but could not find anything. Im working on getting my reverse to Bastard level, and need a source for "Hard" 6" Grade 5's(Cal over 400) since I plan on bending them for volume. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I've been told that JH, diamond, and triangle brand are the highest callibrated g5 bolts around, but thats just what I heard.

The Diamond (or linear S) calibrated at 385 I think. It feels quite a bit tougher than that to me though.

The blackish colored JH brand G5's are incredibly hard. I've only found them at 5" long, but I would say they are at least as hard as a G8 of the same length.

I agree with Matt. The blackish/green JH G5's are just slightly easier than an average 6'' G8. I would say that they hover right around 400 ish lbs.(EDIT: I just checked Eric's chart, and they cal at 405lbs.)

The blackish colored JH brand G5's are incredibly hard. I've only found them at 5" long, but I would say they are at least as hard as a G8 of the same length.
Edited by Foxman

I agree with Matt. The blackish/green JH G5's are just slightly easier than an average 6'' G8. I would say that they hover right around 400 ish lbs.(EDIT: I just checked Eric's chart, and they cal at 405lbs.)

Actually Jeremiah, I thought that too until Eric needed some G5s for his comp and I sent him the greenish black ones and he said they were different then the black ones on his list. The black one on his list is a flat black and it's black as coal. I know what he means now because I have a 1/2 inch by 10 inch version.

The blackish green ones cal'd at 400 when I sent him some. They are on the hard side.

Ben is right about those diamond or "linear S" G5s as Eric calls them. I practially fell in the floor when Eric gave me the 385 numbers. I sent him another and it only hit 390 but we were all guessing like 425 or better. I feel they don't respond to the constand movement like some G5s do.

Anyway, you can sometimes find the JH bolts by the pound so they are probably the way to go.

Some triangle G5s are more on the medium side as I've found out. The FNL ones have been as low as 345 and feel totally different.

Best of luck!

Tim

The JH bolts I have are not coal black, they are dark gray and show a little iridescence in the light. I don't know what they calibrate at, but I cannot even get one to 90 degrees...about the same place I got stuck on a 5" triangle G8. I would like to try one at 6" but I haven't seen them locally.

The JH bolts I have are not coal black, they are dark gray and show a little iridescence in the light. I don't know what they calibrate at, but I cannot even get one to 90 degrees...about the same place I got stuck on a 5" triangle G8. I would like to try one at 6" but I haven't seen them locally.

I have a bolt dealer next to my house that has JH (also triangle, diamond, etc) bolts in any length you want. Let me know if you want me to send you some, it would be no problem :D

Dan-

Another good option for you would be to go to that steel shop out in your area and buy some 1/4 square or hex stock. You might get something that fits your strength at a decent price.