Grip training for wrestlers

Guest matrat

Guest matrat

Since Sybersnott asked me, just curious what kind of grip training other wrestlers are doing.  My workout includes:

1. Wrist curls- palms up and down

2. Wrist rolling

3. Farmer's walk (holding dumbells)

4. Pinching weight plates together

5. Crushing gripper

6. Rope climbing

7. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (a grip workout in itself to supplement wrestling)

Right now I'm off for a few weeks due to hand surgery, but my normal workouts are:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Saturday.

Strapholds & reps w/ gripper.  3 sets each

Tuesday.

Pronate/Supinate 1 set, wrist curls 1 set, turk DB holds 2 sets, Farmers walk with pinch blocks 1 set.  Steel bending 5 or 6 peices.

Friday.

Thick bar curls and reverse curls 3 sets each, Pinch block holds 3 sets, Plate curls 3 sets, steel bending 5 or 6 pieces.

I just started the bending.  It really doesn't have much carry over to wrestling but it seemed cool, so I tried it and I like it, although I'm not to hot at it.

By the way, cool avatar, where did you get it?

dyoder16

matrat,

Although I don't grapple currently, I was an active martial artist for many years. So I'll add my 2 cents.

I think that for wrestling/combat sports the most useful exercises are going to be:

All kinds of thick dumbbell/barbell work

Crushing strength

Wrist levering

Pinch strength and fingertip pinching on a hub or similar tool would also be helpful if you plan on getting in to flesh/muscle tearing techniques. But in my experience, muscle tearing techniques require a LOT of strength before being effective and are also difficult to apply in real life confrontations.

As for specificity in training, Tony Blauer has a great drill to increase functional grip strength with a partner. Lie on the ground with partner in your guard and grab both of his wrists as tightly as possible. Your partner then pulls and twists his arms around slowly but forcefully to make you work to hang on. Do this until he breaks your grasp and work progressively for longer times.

Lastly, I know the old school catch wrestlers were big on thick rope climbing and chins and such, so I'm sure that is very productive as well.

All the best in your training,

Elias

The Eagle Claw folks do this:

They take a small bucket and fill it with concrete. While the concrete sets, they stick their fingers into it to make holes, in exactly the same position they use to start their strikes. (thumb, index, middle).

When the concrete sets, they lift the whole assembly by the same three fingers they used to make the wholes - grip the thing like a bowling ball (well, not exactly, different fingers, but you know what I'm getting at), and lift.

I practice submission grappling. I wouldn't say I designed my grip training around it. I enjoy a variety of grip training. My current routine is below.

day1

grippers

plate wrist curls

day2

thick handle hammer curls (i call them choke curls:)

sledge hammer front to nose

reverse weaver

Marcy handle curls (using those plates w/handles built in)*

Hublift (with old plates)

day3

pinches w/ a variety of plate widths

Grip Machine*

Grippers easy*

day 4

plate curls

1/2" pinch*

day 5

Hammer curl w/squishy handles*

Blobs

Grippers easy*

Day 6

Side sledge hammer

front weaver

plate handle twist curl*

Stuff with the * is done if I have time. Lately I haven't had any!

If I was grip training primarly for grappling I would increase my work with the squishy handles. I am working on some other uses for the squishy stuff.

If you use gi's (I don't) I would get an old one and use it for  pullups, drags etc. with various grips.

Earlier in the year, I was doing pullups with a rope. I think it is a good movement, but I injured my left hand doing them, so I havn't done them in awhile. I may add them nxt year and see what happens.

Plate curls are where you hold a plate (flat side down) with your thumb on top and your fingers underneath and try to curl it.  It requires some insane wrist/finger strength to hold onto a heavy plate when it's parallel to the ground (or even move it if you're a beginner).

Strap holds are when you close a gripper with a strap between the handles and then attach a weight to the strap and hold it for time.