Pair Of Braced Bends

matthcarl

Hi all. I picked up some 1/2" HRS recently and today did my first couple of bends with it. The first was a 24" piece to gauge where I was as a braced bender. Here's the video: 24x1/2 HRS

It was fairly easy, so I cut another piece that ended up being 21.5". I definitely need some practice, but I really think I could go a few inches shorter. Here's the video: 21.5x1/2 HRS I realize the bar isn't visible when I crouch down. Sorry. I'll need to set the camera lower next time.

I also have some 1/2" square and 5/8" stock I'm itching to try, but I've had enough hacksawing for one day. I'm keeping in mind something Tim Iacobucci said earlier about steel variation. I can see myself visiting someone else, manfully bracing the steel, and not being able to kink it.

I'm also thinking about Tim Tolbert's recent bend. an 8" length of this stuff? You've got to be joking! :bow

Very well done mate :rock And that's just the start :cool

Great bend-looked very strong :rock You did a good job from potentially eating the bar on your first clip(1:07 seconds). Way to recover ;)

Great bends matt.

I noticed it too at 1.07 yikes that one could've ended badly. During that particular movement of the bend, I would position my left hand just a little further down whilst keeping my right hand as close to my body as possible, even braced against the body. That way the bar will be more vertical and secure. You will also be stronger that way. But this is just from my experience with spike bends and horseshoes. Never done any of theese longer stuff. So take that with a grain of salt and wait for the more experienced brace benders comes.

I'm also thinking about Tim Tolbert's recent bend. an 8" length of this stuff? You've got to be joking! :bow

Haha, exactly, you gotta try it to really understand how silly that bend really is.

Welcome to the world of braced bending man, don't worry too much about cutting stuff down right away, just get your form down and experiment with the different styles and positions to find the best leverage you can. Thats really what it all comes down to. I was one of the smallest linemen on my football team a while ago so I learned to lift heavy and use all the leverage I could being able to get under other guys and drive up on them. I just sort of naturally want to mess around and experiment to find my most powerful positioning. It is a little different for everyone so just go at it.

I really gotta make a video soon showing how I do stuff because I move to the hip crush pretty quick and I can start that while it's still pretty wide. Allot wider than you could get between your legs. It's allot more effective I think than trying to move it more at that weird angle where you can't row it more but you can't get it between your legs either. The under the leg method I am beginning to like allot as well if you gotta move it further. Give that one a try for sure.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I did have the wrap slip on the first bend, but fortunately I wasn't putting all my strength into the bat at the time, so it didn't really bother me. I'm still just fooling around, but I'm getting hooked on braced bending as well as short bars.

Tim, with under the leg, are you talking about bracing one end on the front of the thigh and trying to 'wrap' the bar around the back of the other leg? I've seen the Rosendauls bend this way, but only with longer bars.

Great work Matt,Looks like you be rowing into tougher bars soon. :rock :rock

Great job! Welcome to the world of braced bending. It's a real crowd pleaser and pretty addictive too. Tim's advice is right on, don't get crazy cutting it down right away, get comfortable with it then cut it down. I simultaniously worked with spikes so as I began cutting down the 1/2 inch, the spike technique started helping out. 7/16 inch HRS is great too to start working shorter but it is getting very very hard to find.

FYI, the 1/2 inch square will be noticably easier than the 5/8 but noticably harder than the 1/2 inch round. It's good looking stuff to bend. Very similiar to the hard-to-find 9/16 inch round. A 3 footer bent into a fish looks good and isn't just to terribly difficult.

The 8 incher was a tuffy.

Great job!

Tim

Tim, with under the leg, are you talking about bracing one end on the front of the thigh and trying to 'wrap' the bar around the back of the other leg? I've seen the Rosendauls bend this way, but only with longer bars.

Yes exactly, that is where I saw it first as well. I used it for the 24" and could go shorter. It is a great technique I think.

Also if you cut a peice and find it easy or even coming back to it later try and fish it. It works pretty differently than eveything else and if you want to do it on the bigger stuff it's good to start early. And again I can't say how much fun scrolling a 20' bar is if you ever get a big peice like that.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=13676

Have you read that before? Coiling is great too, I wish I had worked on it specfically more up to this point.

Yes exactly, that is where I saw it first as well. I used it for the 24" and could go shorter. It is a great technique I think.

Also if you cut a peice and find it easy or even coming back to it later try and fish it. It works pretty differently than eveything else and if you want to do it on the bigger stuff it's good to start early. And again I can't say how much fun scrolling a 20' bar is if you ever get a big peice like that.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=13676

Have you read that before? Coiling is great too, I wish I had worked on it specfically more up to this point.

Thanks for the link...I haven't seen that before. I didn't video it, but I put in my log that I fished a 48" piece of 5/8" HRS. I haven't tried it with anyhing else, or coiling yet, but the pictures in that article look like they'll be helpful.

Nice work Matt look's like you got a good start !!!!!! :D

Thanks Jason...You do any braced bending?