Humbling Night With The 2'' V-bar.....

foxyj75

Hey guys, I feel like a wuss right now!! I tried out my homemade V-bar tonight, and I was expecting to easily pull 200...........NOT!!!! :blink:( I maxed out at 170!! I don't know whether my homemade V-bar is just funky, or if I just really suck at V-bar!! I guess when I go to Texas for the Show of Hands, I will see how much difference there is between my bar and the real thing. Much respect for all you v-bar guys pulling big numbers! :D

Your bar probally is not seasoned yet,whats so bad about 170,thats my max too,But I only weigh 150 with a 7-1/4" hand :D

don't worry man we all know your gonna go way over 200,just a matter of time. :cool

Guest NailBender
Hey guys, I feel like a wuss right now!! I tried out my homemade V-bar tonight, and I was expecting to easily pull 200...........NOT!!!! :blink:( I maxed out at 170!! I don't know whether my homemade V-bar is just funky, or if I just really suck at V-bar!! I guess when I go to Texas for the Show of Hands, I will see how much difference there is between my bar and the real thing. Much respect for all you v-bar guys pulling big numbers! :D

Hey Foxman. Nice job!

It might help you to do what I've been doing.

I do V-bar with 5/8" bar. You talking about hard!

I've gotten 160 lbs. RH and 150 lbs. LH it a very short time.

I fiqured with my small hands (6 7/8") I could do better at smaller diameters.

I was right. People with bigger hands can't get the grip on it I can. But, with 2"

bar, the guys with bigger hands have an advantage over the smaller handed

individual.

Try different diameters, your hands respond fast to this lift for some reason.

Keep it up!

NailBender

Show some pics of your V-bar. How's the texture where you place your hand - that can make all the difference. You may pull alot more on the FBBC bar. There will be two to play w/at the comp.

With your strength either your bar is weird or you just need practice. Even I pulled 180 my first time trying it, and I pretty much suck at eveything except bending. Have you used the 1" bar at all? I've only hit 220 with that for comparison. Also, did you try both hands? For some reson it seems like I can pull about 20 lbs more left handed even though I am a righty.

The recommendation to try left is a good one. I am a righty but have always pulled quite a bit more lefty for some reason even I don't know. Both on 1" and 2" vbars. Experiment a lot with hand placement and you'll be over 200 on any 2" vbar. It's got to be a technique issue with your overall level of strength. I bet you pull 220+ at the SOHGC. That's my prediction at least. You might try reading some old threads from some of the best vbar lifters...Mobster, Mikael Siversson, Dutch, Jim Wylie...

HAHA! I beat you out Jeremiah! I pulled up to 190 first time I tried but didn't control it on the way down :( So... it... it doesn't count and my official max is 170 as well :cry

Hi Jeremiah. I tried it also for the first time on a new bar and I am right there with ya :blush:blink:D:D

Also, I notice you didn't say anything about chalk. That is a huge factor.

Guys, here's a pic of the bar. You can zoom in on the handle and see it pretty good. After looking at it last night, I think that might be the issue. When it was part of a plate tree, it had this slick powdercoat on it so the plates would slide on and off real easy. I attempted some pulls on it like that, and maxed at 120! :blush Figuring that was the issue, I tried to strip it, but the stripper had no effect on the finish! :blink So I mounted it in my drill, and sanded off as much of it as I could. This left it with a shiny, glossy surface, so I spun it in the drill while dragging a file across it to give it some bite. Not enough bite apparently!! It is still that way in the pic.

V-bar pic

And I did use chalk(crushed up sidewalk chalk!), tried both hands(I'm a lefty, and my right was strongest), and got really mad at it!! JK! Thanks for the help guys! Later!