Hammer Curl

gripparen

It isn't necessarily better just works some different muscles in the forearm. It is better for training to improve your toproll.

It isn't necessarily better just works some different muscles in the forearm. It is better for training to improve your toproll.

you have right

Specifically the brachioradialis. A flexor of the arm and also responsible for action of the forearm. Pronation especially but a little supination action as well.

Important area for pullers.

Why is just hammer curl better then ordinary curls?

Think about the starting position in armwrestling. It is like a hammer curl position. Because it's important to be strong at the start, it's good to be strong in the hammer curl.

I like Devon's version of the HC with the belt, that he demonstrates on "In the Hook". Good for learning how to lock your arm and move your body.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not better, it just works different muscles. Regular curls work the inner head of the bicep(making the bi's larger/wider), with little participation of the outer head(which make the bi's taller and more "peaky", and brachialis(a small muscle that runs under the bi's, acts as an elbow flexor when the forearm is pronated).

Hammer curls involve all 3. Basically, if you start with the wrist supinated, the more you pronate it, the more you use outer head/ brachialis. Regular curls=mostly inner, little outer, hammer-curls = little inner, mostly outer and brachialis, and reverse curls = mostly brachialis, little outer. The are for AWing for the reason Florian gave.

It's not better, it just works different muscles. Regular curls work the inner head of the bicep(making the bi's larger/wider), with little participation of the outer head(which make the bi's taller and more "peaky", and brachialis(a small muscle that runs under the bi's, acts as an elbow flexor when the forearm is pronated).

Hammer curls involve all 3. Basically, if you start with the wrist supinated, the more you pronate it, the more you use outer head/ brachialis. Regular curls=mostly inner, little outer, hammer-curls = little inner, mostly outer and brachialis, and reverse curls = mostly brachialis, little outer. The are for AWing for the reason Florian gave.

I say it is better for the reasons you just listed. Because it works the brachialis, I would think the stronger the brachialis the stronger your initial "lock" will be at the start.

• 1 month later...
I like Devon's version of the HC with the belt, that he demonstrates on "In the Hook". Good for learning how to lock your arm and move your body.

I like these as well, started playing with them with different handles and straps and they are definetely tough stuff.

• 2 weeks later...