Rp Trainer Review

odin

RP TRAINER REVIEW

I decided to get the RP trainer because I've noticed that my R+P are strong when

pinching, but comparitively weak when crushing-weird, but may be a coordination

issue as Teemu has stated.

My first impression was "wow, this is a quality device!" It is easy to use; it works and feels great, very smooth. I'm so happy I didn't buy any IM Tugs; the RP trainer is adjustable for any level you will ever need (I'm sure another big spring could be added as well). If you haven't seen the device, there are pics here.

The RP trainer comes with a large and a small spring which can be used for

microloading or perhaps also for beginning gripsters and very high rep work. Rubber

bands could also easily be added for microloading. Spring removal is relatively

easy even for the mechanically challenged (me). A wrench could be used, but I

didn't find it necessary.

I love the feel of the handles.The knurling is very sharp (which I like a LOT),

but some of you who don't like rough implements will likely need to file it down a

bit, it is sharper than any gripper I've tried. The handles are thick, which gives

a secure feeling and distributes the force over a larger area, which I like.

My hand is small enough to nearly use it with 3 fingers if I like and my wife

could use it almost like a Vulcan-type gripper because her hand is small.

The only thing I'd change is that I find the inital position to be farther open

than I'd like, but this does increase the versatility of the tool.

In summary, I LOVE IT-think this will be a great tool and gives a different feel

to hand training than anything I've tried. It's obvious a HUGE amount of thought

and tinkering was done to get it just right.The RP Trainer is easy to use, feels

GREAT in my hand (takes a LOT of discipline to put it down) and I think it will

help a LOT in closing bigger grippers.

Good review Odin. It sounds like a great tool. How much did that set you back ($)? Not that I can afford it at the moment but I'm always on the lookout for something to get at the end of the year when I reward myself. :)

Thanks for writing this

You're welcome Chris. Hope it helps you know if it is the right tool for your goals. I know I'll be using mine a lot when I start focusing on grippers.

Good review Odin. It sounds like a great tool. How much did that set you back ($)? Not that I can afford it at the moment but I'm always on the lookout for something to get at the end of the year when I reward myself. :)

Gumpster, I made a trade, you might want to PM him because it was very reasonable.

I love mine for all the reasons Odin listed. I traded for mine also and mlstrass is very reasonable. If you're thinking about buying tugs or are stuck on a tug, I'd suggest grabbing one of these instead or to help you move up to the next tug.

I saw Josh's R&P trainer at the KC grip contest and it's a beauty. Very well made Mlstrass!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using mine for IM training the last few workouts and it works great for that also. RP is stronger LH and IM is stronger RH and by several reps. Hopefully I can get the imbalances taken care of and it'll help me progress to the #3 eventually.

Guest NailBender

Got my RP Trainer today.

This device is GREAT!

The quality is awesome and it feels

great in either hand.

It has 12 different settings and would pretty

much make your IM Tugs obsolete.

I look forward to training with the RP Trainer

after the contest is out of the way. This is probably

the neatest grip tool I own now.

I'll have it at the Show of Hands for the competitors to try

out Saturday.

I'd be surprised at anyone who trys this thing out doesn't

buy one.

He even made mine to fit my small hands (6 7/8").

NailBender

Glad you liked it Joe and good idea holding off until after the comp. I need to make one with a smaller spread for myself one of these days...

I just got my (RP) trainer last night. WOW This thing is AWESOME!! I would highly recommend getting one as soon as you can!! This gripper is no joke. It is very well made and just feels right in your hand. I am telling you that if you are considering buying (IM TUGS) Just save your money and get an RP-GRIPPER.

Guest NailBender
I just got my (RP) trainer last night. WOW This thing is AWESOME!! I would highly recommend getting one as soon as you can!! This gripper is no joke. It is very well made and just feels right in your hand. I am telling you that if you are considering buying (IM TUGS) Just save your money and get an RP-GRIPPER.

Watch out BigMatt! That RP trainer is addicting.

It's my favorite grip device. Period!

You should have Mlstrass make you a full handle

version too. I ordered one this weekend. The combo should

be killer.

NailBender

be killer.

NailBender

Thanks NailBender now I need to spend more money!! HAHA I love it so much.

Mine arrived the other day as well. It's hard to appreciate this piece of equipment from the pictures alone, but having it in your hand you realize it is truly a work of art. Mike took and excellent idea and ran with it. The quality is top notch, and I expect to give it a lifetime of abuse. IMTUGs are nice and useful to some, but the rpTrainer is light years ahead in terms of versatility and progression. There are numerous settings that would challenge the toughest of grippers, and plenty of room to spare to add additional springs. The feel is great. It is the same feeling as the little fat TUG handles and the action is very smooth. I believe the knurling to be a bit sharper than the TUGS, but for me this is a good thing. I do plan however, to file a bit off the handles to add to the ROM. Overall, I'd rate this as one of the more useful pieces in my ever growing list of grip equipment, and I'd recommend Mike's (Mlstrass) service and product without reservation.

Guest NailBender

be killer.

NailBender

BigMatt,

I didn't mean a full handle version I meabt a filed handle version.

It's like a filed TUG.

Sorry about the confusion.

NailBender

be killer.

NailBender

BigMatt,

I didn't mean a full handle version I meabt a filed handle version.

It's like a filed TUG.

Sorry about the confusion.

NailBender

HAHA! I would like both! HAHA I need a second job!! :D

Mine came last Saturday. On time, very well made and works better than I expected. Adding Post Office style rubberbands gives a very smooth close and encourages more reps (soreness). With the 'U' in the upright position, I keep two fingers on the handles, my forefinger above the handles and below the 'U", and my index finger in the 'U'. This seems to hit the pinky more. Turning the 'U' upside down seems to hit the ring finger more. This is a great addition for anyone who wants to target a specific, ofter ignored, grip weakness.

Guest NailBender
I sense some very strong ring/pinky fingers in the coming months :tongue

Hey Mike, I got the TUG 6 closed with RP of both hands.

Aaron Corchran witnessed me do it at the contest. I used his TUGs.

Aaron went on to close the 7 of course.

Aaron's hands are scary STRONG!!!

NailBender

I sense some very strong ring/pinky fingers in the coming months :tongue

Hey Mike, I got the TUG 6 closed with RP of both hands.

Aaron Corchran witnessed me do it at the contest. I used his TUGs.

Aaron went on to close the 7 of course.

Aaron's hands are scary STRONG!!!

NailBender

Aaron is closing the TUG 7 RP and now?? WOW, no wonder he killed the MM4 :rock

• 2 weeks later...