Working The Sweep

herc

no-set closes on a gripper you can close & no-set closes to parallel on a gripper you can't close

Sheesh. Most of us should be asking you for advice :bow

What are some of the best exercises to work the sweep in gripper closing?

Find a gripper that doesnt bing up at the end but is pretty equal throughout the sweep. Like gumpster said do TNS with what you can. I set myself TNS goals as well as MMS goals.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Guest NailBender
What are some of the best exercises to work the sweep in gripper closing?

Overcrushes have worked well with me.

Different widths from nearly wide open

down to parallel.

Try it and see what works for you.

As already suggested TNS (table no sets)

with what you can close is effective too.

NailBender

i have read that thickbar exercises and plate curls work the sweep.

Never liked TNS for training the sweep.

Partials with a gripper I can't close and negatives have always done the trick for me.

Really heavy negs fought hard in that range but also other exercises apart from crushing are helpful. Block weights seem to have helped me. But my sweep still sucks so what do I know.

Edited by Teemu I

If TNSing the CoC#3.5 sucks then I am afraid to know what doesn't suck for you :D

Really heavy negs fought hard in that range but also other exercises apart from crushing are helpful. Block weights seem to have helped me. But my sweep still sucks so what do I know.

Teemu, do you mean force the gripper to maybe parallel, then fight like hell until it's open?

Maybe there is something I can use my #4 for afterall :D

Teemu, do you mean force the gripper to maybe parallel, then fight like hell until it's open?

Maybe there is something I can use my #4 for afterall :D

I meant using an extended handle and really hard gripper you can barely hold somewhat closer to closed than parallel, maybe one you can hold at 1/2". But force the gripper all the way closed anyway, just fight the opening longer and harder and put extra emphasis towards the sweep range. I mean not to take it easy on any part of the ROM, but as the tendency is to take the sweep part easier than the close put extra emphasis on the sweep.

That makes sense. I realize now that I really hit this ROM with my Secret Weapon.

That makes sense. I realize now that I really hit this ROM with my Secret Weapon.
Yep. I bet SW is especially good for this.