Champion Of Champions Comp For 2009

David Horne

While we're on the promoting issue and lack of competitors for this years Brits.

I have now started to put together the Champion of Champions comp for 2009. It needs to be this far in advance, as I have lots of new ideas and these need to be tried out. New equipment needs to be purchased, and I've had the first quote for some new equipment just for one event at £177.

Anyway, obviously the equipment will be used after the comp, so it's not wasted, and with entrance fees and sponsorship hopefully I'll at least come out even.

Reason for this thread is to guage the feeling of those who are qualified (anyone in the top 3 here)

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/gripc...tsprevious.html

And to see if they are planning on attending?

David

im interested david - ill ask the obvious question >what are the events?

Paul,

I will have a practice comp this year on the evnts to see how they work, so obviously I don't know the events yet. The comp is about 16 months off!

I'll be there - I know it's very early but a firm date will be a big help in planning everything - the wife and I are planning a vacation of it with attempts on the Dinnie and Inver stones as well - and with luck, one of those Scottish mountains as well. July is it? That would work out beautifully for us.

Paul,

I will have a practice comp this year on the evnts to see how they work, so obviously I don't know the events yet. The comp is about 16 months off!

i completely understand how you cant list the events for certain, especially with you trying out new ideas, but at least for me personally, it's hard to say if i will compete in something without really knowing what it is >would be helpful if you could give us a rough idea of what you're thinking

Paul,

The evnt will test all aspects of grip strength. The events will be known with roughly 12 months to go which I think is very ample. In fact I can't think of that many comps that give you that much notice.

It's pointless giving you ideas of what the events are as they may change, and this is why there is a practice event.

It will probably be held over 2 days, with each day lasting a max of 5 hours. I want the contest to interest the crowd, so the events will be chosen with this in mind.

David

Paul,

The evnt will test all aspects of grip strength. The events will be known with roughly 12 months to go which I think is very ample. In fact I can't think of that many comps that give you that much notice.

It's pointless giving you ideas of what the events are as they may change, and this is why there is a practice event.

It will probably be held over 2 days, with each day lasting a max of 5 hours. I want the contest to interest the crowd, so the events will be chosen with this in mind.

David

interesting - having all that notice should make for a good turn out

Also all the competitors had t-shirts with their name and country on. It looked very cool.

Do a search for the pics.

Paul,

David

As per David I posted info for the British at xmas and you're not down as wanting to have a go yet.

Paul,

David

As per David I posted info for the British at xmas and you're not down as wanting to have a go yet.

bad events for my injuries / had other goals this year (mainly just to get stronger an figure out how to be injury free) - decided against doing this years brits a while back

i dont know why others are not wanting to compete though, theres now 9310 members on this board an only two are wanting to compete in british championships!?!? many competed last year too - dont understand it

Paul - no novice class - that's the main reason for a lack of competitors this year IMO.

Paul - no novice class - that's the main reason for a lack of competitors this year IMO.

that was one thing i was thinking of, but im 100% sure grip is increasing in popularity, an the number of members here shows that, so either way i would expect different - ive noticed other contests have good interest also >hopefully things will have changed by the day

that was one thing i was thinking of, but im 100% sure grip is increasing in popularity, an the number of members here shows that, so either way i would expect different - ive noticed other contests have good interest also >hopefully things will have changed by the day

Yes grip is definitely more popular especially with the top strongmen in the country training their grips regularly. The Devon Strongman boys here do some pinching, thick bar and 2'' v bar quite often. Of course you have the Whey boys with Steve who all train grip aswell. The Portsmouth camp like their grip stuff aswell. The question here is how popular are grip competitions these days? Woudl they be more popular if they were done in conjucntion with strongman shows for exmaple the world rolling thunder champs where Mark Felix did 301?

I agree with you and with Sam. We have 35 paid up members of the BHSA. Numbers will always vary from year to year but if we looked back at the points earned by open class competitors and those from the novice class there were only 1 or 2 true novices. I also guessed that David may have been overwhelming in the years when no event took place but would remind those considering competing I've only won once.

All of that said I also think people should bare in mind, as I always did, that it is a chance to prove yourselves. You train all year and contribute (by becoming members, by putting on events of your own and by doing your bit here and on other grip boards) so should almost need to be able to show that you also walk the walk. That it is a chance, once a year or so, to mix and meet with fellow grip buts is also being missed.

I do understand the expenses involved having spent good sums of money in the past on traveling, lodgings, food, etc yet we have had international competitors. I'm probably one of the least well off on this board (yes really) yet scrimped and saved (and got the odd bit of support) to do what I've done so far.

David also mentioned the strange situation we're seeing in strongman as well. The Welsh regional qualifiers has been cancelled due to lack of support and this is a great shame for the lads willing to have a go from that area.

The events don't matter too very much to me - I have my favorites and hope at least one of them makes it in and there are a couple I simply can't do due to injury that I may never do again but no matter. I really do hope for a big attendance though - I would much rather come in 29th out of 30 (I hope not to finish last) and know I did that against most of the strongest grip guys on the planet than finish 9th out of ten and know most of the strong grip maniacs weren't there. I'm looking forward to seeing what David comes up with - he's pretty darn imaginative - I'm sure it will be challenging at the very least!

I'll be there! I have waited 4 years for this comp :rock

I am looking forward to whatever events you come up with :rock

Chris, Chad and Jedd it will be great to see you there. Lets hope that the best guys in Europe and UK attend as well.

I'll keep everyone posted with any info, and as I said after the try out I will know a lot more.

I want a quick, spectator friendly contest. Hence the reason it will be over 2 days.

I'm looking at 10 events, that will test everything, so there should be plenty of events you will like.

David

That's great news Ben.

I suppose 20 competitors would be a good number and a success with the way strength contests are filling up over here.

will my second place in novice of last years brits count? Or will i need to get my act together and get to a comp between now and then?

Pete,

I've never included Novice contests for the reason that they are really a stepping stone, and many Novice comps have had athletes that really could have competed in a higher class.

Good to see you are interested in the comp.

David

List of those who have qualified so far.

UK

Frank Allen

Dean Bolt

Stevie Cherrie

Andrew Christie

Raymond Christie

Fred Coombs

Michael Daly

Gerry Davidson

David Elmer

Mark Felix

Steve Gardener