Try This!

Paul Knight

Check this out - I got this training technique out of a John Brookfield book (its probably good for building hand strength ;) ) I'm finger walking a 15lb sledge (equivalent) It's a very good workout! your hand get tired pretty quick. Anyways - alot of you have probably already seen this technique, but it seems like everyone I've shown this to hasn't seen it before, so I thought I would share it < < P.S. if you've never done this before and you can do 15 or 16lbs - you'll be doing twenty in no time (20 is hard)

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/120613930...890_9785767.wmv

If the link doesn't work - its in my gallery

Haha, one impressive thing after another Paul :whacked I've seen it before and you'll be hard pressed to find a guy on here who hasn't read Brookfields book but sledge walking is, regrettably, not often used by many :(

Haha, one impressive thing after another Paul :whacked I've seen it before and you'll be hard pressed to find a guy on here who hasn't read Brookfields book but sledge walking is, regrettably, not often used by many :(

I havent read it.. Sounds like I need to. Thanks for the link Paul.

Yeah, I read about it in Brookfield's book as well. I've tried it with 8 lbs and it is HARD!

Yeah thats freakin hard man.I am pretty sure I saw Smitty from Diesel crew showing this in one of his vids.And of coarse he made it look easy.

I thought that was hard with my 10lb. I don't even have anything bigger to try. Actually I couldn't even find anything bigger at any hardware stores around me. Where the hell are you guys getting 20lbs sledges? Those can't even be good for use as an actual sledge hammer.

Just watched the video. I see how you got a 15lbs sledge now.

Edited by timiacobucci

I can usually get 17# on this, though that weight is still quite challenging. On a good day, I might get 19#, and my PR is slightly over 21#. This exercise is brutal, but very beneficial.

I havent read it.. Sounds like I need to.

Mastery Of Hand Strength is MANDATORY REQUIRED READING on this forum!!! No exceptions whatsoever!!!! :angry:

Actually, any book by John Brookfield is a good read. I also suggest Super Squats (Dr. Randall Strossen) and Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik.

Go over to Super Strength Training website by Bill Hinbern and brush up on the classic masters (have the free catalog sent to you, hint hint). That way you won't look like a total noob :unsure when we discuss who did what where and when. :happy

http://www.superstrengthtraining.com

I thought that was hard with my 10lb. I don't even have anything bigger to try. Actually I couldn't even find anything bigger at any hardware stores around me. Where the hell are you guys getting 20lbs sledges? Those can't even be good for use as an actual sledge hammer.

Haha, they don't sell them at your local home depot :laugh 20lb+ sledges are concrete smashing and heavy demolition hammers, aka 'specialty' hammers. You'd have to either order one, make one like Paul did or get lucky and find one at a tractor supply or other store in your area that has one.

Haha, they don't sell them at your local home depot :laugh 20lb+ sledges are concrete smashing and heavy demolition hammers, aka 'specialty' hammers. You'd have to either order one, make one like Paul did or get lucky and find one at a tractor supply or other store in your area that has one.

I got mine at www.drillspot.com

Edited by John Eaton

Hmm. I've seen 20 lb. sledgehammers at local hardware stores. I've been tempted to pick one up, but then remembered how hard it is to lever my 8 lb. hammer and decide I'd better not waste my money.

John - Have you tried to finger walk your 20lb?

John - Have you tried to finger walk your 20lb?

I'll have to give it a try and let you know how I did or didn't :D

After watching a vid of John Eaton levering a 20 lber, Im gonna go buy one. Whats funny is I cant ever lever a 12!!!! But what the hell eh ?

After watching a vid of John Eaton levering a 20 lber, Im gonna go buy one. Whats funny is I cant ever lever a 12!!!! But what the hell eh ?

Thats the spirit!

same here. didnt even move . i can do the thumbwalk thingy. but not the twohander.. :(