Started My Plat Training Today

Redmaster

Well I started my pincer training today by picking up 2 ten pound plates facing each other. The plates were very light and I know I can hold a great deal more but when I tried to slip another 10 pount plate in between it kept sliding out and I was unable to hold it. Instead I moved up to a 35lb plate and helt it with my thumb on the smooth side but I know I was getting more help from my fingers than i should have because of the beveled edge. How do you all hold 3 or more 10lb plates with the smooth edges out as they just slide all over when I attempt it. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Short answer: Time. Long answer: Time and Hard Work.

What kind of routine are you using at the moment? Please don't tell me you don't think you need to work to progress?

Short answer: Time. Long answer: Time and Hard Work.

What kind of routine are you using at the moment? Please don't tell me you don't think you need to work to progress?

I just started last week. I am training with my COC grippers, T & 1, as well as plate holds 2 times a week. If you want my whole program it is like this:

Mon- Chest, Biceps, Plate holds, Grippers

Tue- Shoulders, Hamstrings, Calves

Wed- Off

Thur- Back(Deadlifts, Pullups, Etc.), Traps(Heavy shrugs), plate holds, Grippers

Fri- Quads, Triceps, Calves

Sat-Off

Sun-Off

I have just started my grip training so I am very new to this. I have done heavy deadlifts and shrugs but want to increase both my grip and pincer strength. I do not understand how anyone can hold 3 plates as the middle one will not stay fixed in between for me. I feel like my hands are plenty strong enough the plate just slides out of the bottom as I am squeezing them at the top. I can deadlift 405 for reps so I feel like my hands are plenty strong enough but maybe I am wrong. Is this a technique issue or are my hands just too weak? Thanks alot for any help you can give me.

if you sqeeze them hard enough they will stay together.....

I would suggest you check out this site- It is very well done and has some pictures and videos of proper form and many other things...Good luck

GripFaq

Put chalk on the inside plates - even though your hands aren't touching them. it even keeps the plates from sliding as easily like it does for you hands, check it out - it will work.

I have just started my grip training so I am very new to this. I have done heavy deadlifts and shrugs but want to increase both my grip and pincer strength. I do not understand how anyone can hold 3 plates as the middle one will not stay fixed in between for me. I feel like my hands are plenty strong enough the plate just slides out of the bottom as I am squeezing them at the top. I can deadlift 405 for reps so I feel like my hands are plenty strong enough but maybe I am wrong. Is this a technique issue or are my hands just too weak? Thanks alot for any help you can give me.

Redmaster, Welcome to the GB! Where do you live? I guarantee you will pull 3x10 with chalk and technique adjustments and probably even 4x10 or more if you have a grip brother give you a few tips in person. Check out this video (click here) of a 3x10 pinch, get some weightlifting/gymnastic chalk (make sure you get the chalk all over your thumb webbing in particular and all over the plates as Paul suggested)and get back to work. This video should be enough to make you believe you can do it.

CAVEAT:if your plates are infected with hammertone paint (it's the gray paint, not black), the bane of pinchers, you'll need to clean the plates and your hands with alcohol first-don't use chalk with hammertone, remove if possible.

Edited by odin