Lurker's introduction...

Notus

Well, I figure I’ve been lurking around here long enough.  I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Elias Notus and although I’m now addicted to grip training I don’t think I need a 12-step program just yet… not unless the program involves a lot of heavy singles. ;)

Seriously though, I’m a beginner to grip training and have been humbled and inspired by many of the feats of strength displayed by members of this board. Being an opera singer by profession, I’ve set the rather modest goal of having the strongest grip of any opera singer in the world (which is a modest goal only because most opera singers aren’t interested in lifting anything heavier than a forkful of pasta).

More importantly though than introducing myself, I wanted to thank all of you that take an active role in this board - COCs and Newbies alike. I appreciate having this excellent resource available for such a specialized interest.

Thanks,

Elias

Thinking that if you close the #1, you just might be the opera singer with the mightiest grip!  :D   Welcome to the GripBoard!!  :)

I'm not pro yet but I did just start lessons at the local conservatory.  I'm a reasonably accomplished (skillwise, or so I'm told) rock singer but I wanted a new challenge.  If I ever get lucky enough to get paid for singing we can crush the competition :).  

As a side note I find it interesting that a lot of people who are really into grip strength also usually have some sort of artistic interest whether it be philosophy, music, or sculpture.  Kind of shows the character of the people looking for functional strength and the difference between them and the gym-weenies who llift to try and impress people with their size.

Thanks for the welcome guys!  I appreciate the hospitality and support.

Sybersnott - I closed the #1 for 17 consecutive reps the day I got it in the mail, so maybe I already have the mantle... but I'm not gonna take any chances.  I'm going to give "crush the opposition" a whole new meaning in the opera world.  ;)

Morgan - rafter chins... LOL!  Not unless I get to use super glue.  :D

Drassk - Good luck at the conservatory.  Although I think it is easier to make a living as a rock singer than in opera/classical singing... you never know. A buddy of mine was an engineer before taking up singing in his early thirties and now is singing all over the world having a great career. Also there was a tenor named Jon Vickers who was a lumberjack in Canada before becoming a successful singer (I bet he had a grip!).  So keep up the studies and drop me a line in the future and let me know how the singing is going.

Stay well,

Elias

Well, I'm planning on going to my doctorate in math right now so the worry about making a living off music isn't really there.  What I mostly do it for is the love of performing and the chance to play with better musicians.  Of course, if I had a chance to do it as a job I'd have to take a hiatus from academia :)