Rgc Calibration Data On The #4's?

Teemu I

This is what I'd be curious to know, as we all know that grippers vary etc. For background I had a chance recently to try a 200 lbs #4 and I tell you that the difference to my 206 lbs #4 felt huge. On the best attempt I came closer to closing this 200 lbs #4 than my 197 lbs Super Elite. If I didn't know better I would have called even this 200 lbs #4 "easy" although I didn't close it yet. But from the other topic I learned that one #4 used in one competition was 190 lbs and that is the same as the hardest #3.5 I've closed. I think it is far easier to say what is an average #3 as there's more data but it seems to me that it is not that clear when we are talking about #4's. The variation between them is huge to both directions.

So all this made me think that what would the average #4 actually be? Also what would be what you can call a decent #4? Also of the #4's that have been closed, is there RGC calibration data available? I'd rather hear some views that are based on data than guesswork or speculation. As Josh Dale said on the other thread, RGC is the best we got so far although it doesn't tell the whole truth.

From Gripperhell:

#4 (19 grippers calibrated)

Average 209 4.0

Low 190 3.67

High 230 4.36

From Gripperhell:

#4 (19 grippers calibrated)

Average 209 4.0

Low 190 3.67

High 230 4.36

Yes, I've seen that but the number of calibrated grippers was still pretty low so the average might actually be something else. Also as there is so much talk about new #4's beeing harder, can it be that most of them really are 209+ lbs?

I have 2 #4's that have been calibrated by Climber511

2004 #4 2&3/4" spread 199lbs

2005 #4 2&7/8" spread 228lbs

I have another 2004 #4 that I haven't calibrated yet.

OK, thanks to you as well John for contributing. There's a huge difference between your #4's as well. In addition to the 206 lbs 2005 #4, I have one from 2006 that is 226 lbs.

I have 2 #4's that have been calibrated by Climber511

2004 #4 2&3/4" spread 199lbs

2005 #4 2&7/8" spread 228lbs

I have another 2004 #4 that I haven't calibrated yet.

:whacked

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I have 2 that I have calibrated,

a black spring double stamp I got from a board member 215#

and a 2006 #4 GR8 spring 226# before I filed it.

I have another one that is still in the package

- Aaron

Toughest #4 calibrated here in Finland was 233 lbs. 30 lbs makes for unbeliavable jump, as even small difference of couple of lbs can make a difference whether you close the gripper or miss it by 1/4".

Edited by Teemu I

I'd be interested in what years go with which calibration so we can see if an "average" #4 has changed over the years. I'd also like to know what the average of the gripperhell #4s is if you throw out the high and low. I've got a 195# #4 and Eaton's 199# #4 and there is a noticeable difference in between the two.

On a side note: both Eaton and my #4 have the engraved handles, and back in the day those were "uncloseable" and everyone wanted one without the engraving. I'm sure we'll find the same to be true of the mythical GR8 springs.

I hope to calibrate my #4 when Chris is over tomorrow. As well as any other #4s that show up. I'll post the results.

Maybe #4s vary more due to the springs simply being bigger than #3s or other lesser grippers, and with more metal in the spring, there is more scope for poundage variance. Percentage-wise, variances may still be similar though. For example it is improbable we'd see 40lb differences between Trainers or between #1s. But the percentage variance may be similar?

Agreed, Duncan. I don't have a calibration device, i don't think anyone in the UK does (david if you are reading this can you let me know if you know of one?), but my #4s and those i have tried vary all over the place. I think the variance of #4s is less documented than that of #3s and fewer tests have been done because 1)not enough people are close enough to the #4 to really care how hard their #4 is 2)#4s are like bricks to most and therefore just by squeezing they wouldn't be able to tell if it is 'easy' or 'hard'. Of the #4s i have tried, the gr8 ones seems to be a LOT harder than the older ones i have attempted.

My double stamped, engraved handle hits 215.

Okay, I bought a 2005 #3 and #4 recently when Ironmind released that small batch they found. The #3 was hard, and the #4 also felt incredibly hard, even as far as #4s go. I never calibrated it because it really is easier to have two people.

Well, when Chris and Brandon were over this weekend, we calibrated the gripper at 245lbs. :ohmy

We recounted the weight to make sure we didn't make a mistake, and took a pic of the weight hanging there because we couldn't believe it. Now I know why I can't even use this thing for negatives. :whacked

Okay, I bought a 2005 #3 and #4 recently when Ironmind released that small batch they found. The #3 was hard, and the #4 also felt incredibly hard, even as far as #4s go. I never calibrated it because it really is easier to have two people.

Well, when Chris and Brandon were over this weekend, we calibrated the gripper at 245lbs. :ohmy

We recounted the weight to make sure we didn't make a mistake, and took a pic of the weight hanging there because we couldn't believe it. Now I know why I can't even use this thing for negatives. :whacked

That is the sickest #4 I've heard about so far! :blink No wonder it's a brick, my regular spread and mount BB Pro was 248 lbs, as well as my extended handle Pro. So that is incredibly tough #4!

Tis true. It was 248lbs. Hard to even fathom someone closing that.

I hope it can be calibrated by another in the future too. Was it 248lbs, Chris? I have the number at home and was going from memory.

I hope it can be calibrated by another in the future too. Was it 248lbs, Chris? I have the number at home and was going from memory.

ya im pretty sure it was 245#