Pr For Me And A Question

lightweight

Today I bent a piece of 5/16" steel for the first time. 7.5" length HRS, took about a minute and a half in double leather. I started bending about two and a half months ago, it feels great to go from having a difficult time wiith a yellow nail to this. Now to start cutting down the length and close in on the red nail and bastard.

How would hrs and crs from the hardware store compare to the difficulty of a red nail/bastard all things being equal?

It really depends on the brand of the steel. Steelworks steel from Lowes is almost identical in strength whether it is HRS or CRS. National brand steel is easier. I think you'll find that most hardware store steel isn't true HRS. Much closer to CRS usually. Congrats on that bend!! :D

If it's A36, it's a ways off a Bastard, probably about 300 lbs at 7", with a harder crush. If it's Steelworks then you could be very close to a Bastard right now, so it's hard to say.

I have 8mm CRS and HRS and CRS is way harder. Last night I got the first mini kink into a 7inch piece CRS, and I have gotten 5inch piece of HRS to 30-40 degrees. But shorter seems to be easier for me to kink anyway.

I THINK that what I have is national brand stuff. I have some of their crs to, when the hrs becomes easier I'll give that stuff a shot.

One more question. In the fbbc benders bags are the 5/16" pieces considered bastards, or do you have to order them specifically from fbbc?

Thanks for the info.

I THINK that what I have is national brand stuff. I have some of their crs to, when the hrs becomes easier I'll give that stuff a shot.

One more question. In the fbbc benders bags are the 5/16" pieces considered bastards, or do you have to order them specifically from fbbc?

Thanks for the info.

All 5/16" round from FBBC is a Bastard, it doesn't matter if it's with a bag or seperate.

Well if you try the CRS, and it's MUCH harder then you have HRS :D

The National brand 5/16" HRS (or any diameter in National brand) is very consistent, and it has always been "real" HRS in my experience.

If it's A36, it's a ways off a Bastard, probably about 300 lbs at 7", with a harder crush. If it's Steelworks then you could be very close to a Bastard right now, so it's hard to say.

I was just looking at the calibrated fat bastard stock thread, it said a 1/4" 6" gr5 bolt is about 375. I bent one of those about a week ago now, and this 5/16" was definitly a harder bend. I'll have to try my crs in a little while to see what's up.

I was just looking at the calibrated fat bastard stock thread, it said a 1/4" 6" gr5 bolt is about 375. I bent one of those about a week ago now, and this 5/16" was definitly a harder bend. I'll have to try my crs in a little while to see what's up.

Buuut...if you read carefully, you will note only stock of the same length can really be compared. 300@7" is going to be a good bit harder than 300@6". The diameter is going to make the kink harder as well. For another example, I can bend a 5" G5 with ease, but its calibration number is 515 lbs...up near a shiny bastard...which I can barely kink. The calibrations are useful for having an idea of what's next, but in the end you have to wrap the bar/bolt/whatever up and bend the sucker.

Buuut...if you read carefully, you will note only stock of the same length can really be compared. 300@7" is going to be a good bit harder than 300@6". The diameter is going to make the kink harder as well. For another example, I can bend a 5" G5 with ease, but its calibration number is 515 lbs...up near a shiny bastard...which I can barely kink. The calibrations are useful for having an idea of what's next, but in the end you have to wrap the bar/bolt/whatever up and bend the sucker.

oops.. my bad. I'm trying a same size piece of the CR tomorrow that I did in the HR. Hopefully I can at least kink it and compare. Forget this guess work :)

Edited by lightweight

oops.. my bad. I'm trying a same size piece of the CR tomorrow that I did in the HR. Hopefully I can at least kink it and compare. Forget this guess work :)

Look forward to the report :rock

Yeah Matt said most of it, but another point, this stuff actually kinks about the same as a 6" G5 AT 6" but the crush is MUCH tougher, more around a G8 level. So basically it has a kink of 300ish but the crush will be a LOT harder.

Well, this morning I used 7.5" 1/4" CR and HR to warm up with and they felt the same in difficulty. I wrapped up a piece of 7.5" 5/16" CR had a really good bend. I was able to bend it a little further then what I did on the HR. Crushed it down to 1.25" (HR I did to 1.5"). It was maybe marginally harder, but very little difference.

I have to run to the store where I bought this stuff today, I'm going to try and get a namebrand on it. And, I'm starting to eye those bender's bags now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Very nice! It's possible you had some hard HRS to begin with, or possibly some easy CRS. I'd go for the advanced bender's bag and see what you can do with a bastard :cool

You probably just had Steelworks stuff, their HRS is pretty much identical to their CRS.

It was steelworks. I think I will order up an advanced bag soon.

When I got back home I bent a 7" piece. Felt great.