Tps Write-up

matthcarl

Oh, well, I was going to wait for the official results to go up, but I might as well put down what I can. My memory is terrible, though, so I hope my fellow competitors will forgive me if I make any major errors.

1. Grippers - Not my forte, exactly. I closed the #2 pretty easily on the first try, but the jump to the next gripper was too much. They had a BBSM masquerading as a 2.5 that I missed on my next two attempts, despite an impromptu setting lesson from none other than John Eaton :D I think a few people got the hard #3 they had there...not sure if anyone went higher. I admit I wasn't paying close atention.

2. Two-hand pinch - I had never tried this event, so everything was a PR :D I got 126 and 146 with no trouble, but I jumped up to 168 and missed it twice. The big news here is obviously Jedd's WR attempt with the plates coming off. There were seeral cameras on, so I'll let others arbitrate that. What might almost be overlooked is John Eaton putting up 226 (I think) and making a goot attempt at 234 as well. I think that moves him to #6 on the 2HP list, but don't quote me.

3. IM Hub lift - This was probaly my best event overall. I am including the weight of the pin and hub in the numbers. I missed my first attempt at 41, then got it the next time around, and got 44 on my final attempt. I think A couple of people got over 50, but I'm not sure by how much. As I posted elsewhere, a couple of people had trouble with the slick device (not naming names John :whistel)

4. Rolling Thunder - I do not know what the handle and pin weighed, so I'm just counting plates in the weight. I had only tried this once before, so my PR was 110 lbs. When I got air under 135 in warmups, I decided to start at 115. I got that nad 125, but could not fully lock out 135. Again, I have no idea what the best lift was. 220+ I want to say.

5. 2" Vbar - I have a 1" Vbar, but had never lifted a thick one before. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected, really. I got 170 and 180 on my first two attempts, and missed 190 on my final. My best on the 1" is 221 by comparison. I know Jedd Attempted 280, but I can't remember if he got it or not.

6. Sledge Levering - Not sure I want to talk about it :( I think I proved to the world that I have the weakest wrists of any bastard bender. I could not do the 17 lb. sledge, and only got one rep with the 8 lb.-er before I almost dropped it on my head. Eaton, of course, made us all look foolish by going for at least a dozen reps with the 17.

There was also a couple of tie-breaker lifts, doing a one-handed deadlift on a 3" bar. Brendan outpulled Josh McCann for 2nd place, and while it hardly mattered Matt E. and I also did a tie-breaker for I believe 7th place. While I have never tried a 3" bar, those of you who read my log may know that the one hand DL is my pet lift :D I made a mockery of Matt's feeble efforts while easily lifting 85 lbs. (Sorry big guy, couldn't help it :D)

After the event we did a few more feats. I got a DC1 horsehsoe stuck at 90 degrees. Kind of surprised I moved it at all being so tired and not having decent padding for my leg (yes, some of us wusses need a towel, at least). I tried a Huge bastard and failed. One neat thing I got to try wa 1/4" titanium. It kinks easily enough, but is so springy I couldn't get it to 2". I'd feel worse, but Jedd had trouble with a similar piece :D And don't ask, because I have no idea where to get more titanium. I got to play with Charlie's sweet Hampton 45's, and did a bunch of hub lifts righty. Tried for the double, but my weak left hand betrayed me :D Jedd did some amazing stuff with blobs, including a LH lift while holding a 115 KB overhead.

I am really not sure of who placed where, but working from a picture I think I can remember who was there. It was neat to meet Jedd Johnson and John Eaton, legends that they are. I have a feeling Eaton's laziness is far overrated after seeing him in action. These guys aren't too far away and I hope to get down the Diesel Crew one of these days. I actually thought John would take second...he must have bombed something worse than I thought. Brendan and Charlie I already knew, and it was good to see them again and meet their friend Josh McCann - whose large hands and overall strength obviously paid off with his 3rd. Gene Matrin was the 'old guy' of the group, but definitely strong and kicked my butt with ease. I was impressed by Chris (don't know last name, sorry) making the trip from Hawaii, but apparently he is deceiving us all in his GB profile...he really lives up in MA. Anyway, he did much better than me, and also has a killer DU kink that made my wrists hurt just watching. Big Matt is a cool guy and it was nea to gawk at his gripper collection, including the ridiculous BB Universe. We were pretty evenly matched, going ack and forth on some events. We are already shaping up for a rematch next year. Bring it on :cool

Edited by The Writer

TPS Group Shot

Also, I almost forgot, but Joe Mugovero showed up as a spactator, though he also did a little lifting. He took some pictures and emailed me this group shot. In the back row from left to right is Chris, Brendan, Jedd, John Eaton, Josh McCann and in the front it's Gene, Matt English, Me, and Charlie. Just for the record, I might look like an escaped felon on crack, but I am a peaceful and gentle person in reality :D

Good write up Matt and thanks for putting up the pic!!!

Brendan

I had a good time and want thank every for pushing me to go and participate. Meeting all of you and have a good time doing what we all like to was incredible. Now I have a gage on what I can do and what I need to work on i.e.(every thing! HAHA). Hope we can do it again soon. Thank you all for your support!!

All did very well and a good time was had by all. It was great to meet some new people, thanks for coming out and feel free to come by and train anytime.

Here is your final placings with your total weights to include the weight of the impliments.

your numbers are in event order, grippers, 2hp, rolling thunder, 2" v-bar, im hub,

sledge hammers 17lbs, unless labeled 8 lbs.

Jedd Johnson

1st 3 248 197 255 44 2

Brendan Dwyer

2nd 3 168 162 225 41 2

Josh McCan

3rd 2.5 168 162 225 47 8LBS

John Eaton 3 228 197 255 0 8

Gene “old guy” Martin

2.5 168 157 225 0 8LBS

Chris Irving

2 146 142 190 31 8LBS

Charles Robbins

2 156 117 170 44 8LBS

Matt Carl 2 146 132 180 44 8LBS

Matt English 2 146 132 200 34 8LBS

Edited by davetps

my last name has 2 n's..... :tongue

Sorry dude!

lol no worries. nobody ever spells my name right. well, sometimes my parents do.... :laugh

Congrats to everyone. I will see you guys next year..

Bruno

Nice to hear from you Buno and know that you are alive? Whats up? why the no show?

To much work, to much beer and to many stupid injuries. I got stuck at work so I couldnt come buy. How is your training going?