Tps Grip Assault 08

crobb1320

First off I want to say congrats to everyone who competed :rock it was cool to meet the the few there that I did not know in person.The contest was awesome with some great feats.I felt my showing was good since I was the only 150Lb Midget there :D How ever I was not pleased with my 2HP or Rolling thunder performance.My showing was as follows:

1-closed #2 missed 2.5(which was more like a 2.8)

2-2HP,got 156,missed 168,just before it touched the bar my right hand slipped :angry: That hurt.

3-38 lbs on I/M hub,missed 41,had it floating but thats it,that hub is slick.Pr would have been 42.

4-Rolling thunder+110,had 120 up,felt as I was locked out but I never got the nod.120 would equal my best.

5-2"Vbar I think was 165,missed 170. Most I ever got was 175.

6-Sledge levers,got I think it was 3 reps on an 8Lb'er,no experience here,everyone was surprised on this event,especially since it was starting out with a 17Lb. sledge :blink and if you could not do that ya used the 8.

All in all it was a great day,Jedd and John were killing the 2Hp and Vbar.after the show was a lot of fun as well,Jedd holding a 150 Lb. kettle bell over his head and picking up a 50lb. blob,SICK.we all had fun hubbing my Hampton plates.I bent 3 horseshoes back to back,S/C U/L 0,1,2,that was a pr for me,also got a 42lb blob Rh,36lb. blob Lh, at the same time also a pr for me.Damn near closed my 2.5 too.It was a great day and everyone had a great time,other people had got some good pr's too but I can't remember them all,so I will let them tell it.

P.S. Bigmatt,I told ya you would be glad you went,you did very well man.

i agree. well done everyone!

i loved the event lineup, except for the tie breaker....lol

1- closed the 2, then closed the 2.5 which was actually a super master, and missed on the "easy" 3.

2- 2HP, pulled the 156 and then the 168, then i missed on the next one.

3- HUB, pulled 38, then pulled 41, missed on 46.

4- RT, pulled 145, 155, and i think i missed the 165, but don't remember for sure.

5- 2" VBAR, pulled 205, 215, and barely got 225 up, smashing my old record of 180. (shows how often i work that :P)

6- almost got 1 rep with the 17 lb sledge, but couldn't get it back up. then i got 16 or 17 reps with the 8 lb.

7- bonus tie breaker event between me and brendan- one hand lift on a 3" bar- don't even know how much i lifted, but brendan kicked my ass :P

jedd was insane, no doubt. i don't care what anyone says, i'd count that lift. well done bro.

all in all it was a great time, and i think everyone had tons of fun. i almost face lifted a 36 lb blob. got it up a couple inches and it jumped out of my hand, taking a decent amount of my thumb skin with it. i bent a scf #2 into a heart, and a 1/4x7" piece of brendan's titanium. got it down to 2 1/2" and it wouldn't move past that, no matter how hard i pushed. that was the springiest stuff i've ever seen. when all is said and done, i had an awesome time and can't wait till next year.

I also Agree it was a great time!!!

1. Grippers I closed the hard #3 that I could not close last year

2.2hp 168 no training ever only other time I have touched one was GGC last year.

3.Hub got 35 then got brave and said throw 45 on there and missed it twice.

4.RT 155lbs in plates not sure of the total I avoid RT training its my weak link for sure got to get on that.

5.2" FBBC vbar 225lbs total PR no training either

6.Got 2 full reps with 17lb sledge lever and lost it on the third.

7.The tiebreaker was the 3" Barbell one handed dead I got 95lbs on it and Josh missed he did get 85lbs, ten on that thing can glue it to the floor.

Cant wait to compete again it was super fun!!!

Brendan

Dave has an AWESOME gym!!! Lot's of cool toys there. He is a super nice guy as well. Doesn't hurt that he is a fellow Marine :D

Everyone was very cool and supportive of others.

1. Managed to close a hard #3 to tie Jedd and Brendan.

2. Seemed to be on fire in Euro Pinch lifted 228lbs with no trouble. Got 234lbs maybe halfway up and lost it. Second to Jedd on this event.

3. Showed poor judgement on starting weight on IM hub lift. Never messed with one before. I was feeling great after the Euro and figured "how hard can 35lbs be?" Well, I found out it was Kryptonite for old John :blush. To his credit Jedd, asked me if I was sure that I wanted to start there. I didn't listen and I learned yet another valuable lesson :D

4. Typically I do really poor on v-bar. The 2" v-bar appears to be different :cool Tied Jedd with 255lbs on this.

5. Jedd and I tied on Rolling Thunder with 190lbs in plate weight. I had a chance to edge Jedd, but couldn't lock out 200lbs in plates.

6. Managed to get 8 or 9 reps with the 17 lb sledge to actually take an event!

Afterwards Big Joe Mugovero of the Breakfastclub Gym and I had fun one hand deadlifting well over a 100lbs on the 3" barbell.

Did a couple 50lb blob scoops BTF with either hand.

BigMatt had his new Vulcan gripper from David Horne with him. Jedd, Brendan and I each closed it on level 12 with either hand after we had done a ton of other stuff. I must say it is a really nice piece of kit :D

Don't overlook New England, they have some serious grip guys there :rock

I look forward to next year!

Great contest writeups guys! Great work John! Monster 2HP man! And a great 2" vbar too! Sledge levering is crazy as usual...

I enjoy these write-ups as though I was there. Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts. :D

Awesome job guys...Charlie, despite being a 150 lb. midget, you managed to beat the 210 lb. midget!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!!

This is what I did>

1. Grippers - Closed the #2 pretty and missed the 2.5 on my next two tries.

2. Two-hand pinch – This was the first time I ever done this and I got 146LBS as my best.

3. Rolling Thunder - I did 132# as my best.

4. 2" Vbar - I have never done this and my best was 200# on it. ( I LOVE THIS EVENT NOW!!!)

4. IM Hub lift - This was the first time I did this and my best was 34#.

5. Sledge Levering - I could not do the 17 lb. sledge, So I had to use the 8# sledge for 9 reps.

6. I had a tiebreaker with Matt Carl who kick my butt the (one-handed dead lift on a 3" bar) I missed it on 85#.

This was my first event ever. I was very nevus and did not know how every one would treat me. I just told every one I would go and watch but you would not have any of that. I am grateful to all of you that pushed me into competing. I had such a good time. I was so glad that I went and meet all of you. Every one hade encouraging words to say that keep us motivated. Meeting the people I have been reading about (Jedd Johnson, John Eaton) for 4 years no this board was awesome. To see how fare they come just shows me how fare any can go if you really want it!

Thank you all,

Matt English

(Bigmatt)

This is what I did>

2. Two-hand pinch – This was the first time I ever done this and I got 146LBS as my best.

4. 2" Vbar - I have never done this and my best was 200# on it. ( I LOVE THIS EVENT NOW!!!)

5. Sledge Levering - I could not do the 17 lb. sledge, So I had to use the 8# sledge for 9 reps.

6. I had a tiebreaker with Matt Carl who kick my butt the (one-handed dead lift on a 3" bar) I missed it on 85#.

This was my first event ever. I was very nevus and did not know how every one would treat me. I just told every one I would go and watch but you would not have any of that. I am grateful to all of you that pushed me into competing. I had such a good time. I was so glad that I went and meet all of you. Every one hade encouraging words to say that keep us motivated. Meeting the people I have been reading about (Jedd Johnson, John Eaton) for 4 years no this board was awesome. To see how fare they come just shows me how fare any can go if you really want it!

Thank you all,

Matt English

(Bigmatt)

You did great on your first contest Matt :rock And thanks for bringing the New Vulcan gripper for us to try :cool

This is what I did>

Thank you all,

Matt English

(Bigmatt)

For being so down on yourself in another post you put up real good numbers Matt, great job! :rock

Contest was fun and was nice to meet all of you! Was my first contest so it was a great group to have around supporting and encouraging me . Thank you to everyone for helping me and to Brendan for letting me bend some of his bars.

-Chris

ps- I finally change my location so Matt wouldnt think I was deceiving him anymore :laugh

Edited by crs9740

Contest was fun and was nice to meet all of you! Was my first contest so it was a great group to have around supporting and encouraging me . Thank you to everyone for helping me and to Brendan for letting me bend some of his bars.

-Chris

ps- I finally change my location so Matt wouldnt think I was deceiving him anymore :laugh

Ha! Oh well, don't do it for me. But I really did think someone was coming all the way from Hawaii just for the event...

Great writeups and contests everyone. Congratulations to all who showed up and gave their best.

Dave has an AWESOME gym!!! Lot's of cool toys there. He is a super nice guy as well. Doesn't hurt that he is a fellow Marine :D

2. Seemed to be on fire in Euro Pinch lifted 228lbs with no trouble. Got 234lbs maybe halfway up and lost it. Second to Jedd on this event.

3. Showed poor judgement on starting weight on IM hub lift. Never messed with one before. I was feeling great after the Euro and figured "how hard can 35lbs be?" Well, I found out it was Kryptonite for old John :blush. To his credit Jedd, asked me if I was sure that I wanted to start there. I didn't listen and I learned yet another valuable lesson :D

4. Typically I do really poor on v-bar. The 2" v-bar appears to be different :cool Tied Jedd with 255lbs on this.

5. Jedd and I tied on Rolling Thunder with 190lbs in plate weight. I had a chance to edge Jedd, but couldn't lock out 200lbs in plates.

Afterwards Big Joe Mugovero of the Breakfastclub Gym and I had fun one hand deadlifting well over a 100lbs on the 3" barbell.

BigMatt had his new Vulcan gripper from David Horne with him. Jedd, Brendan and I each closed it on level 12 with either hand after we had done a ton of other stuff. I must say it is a really nice piece of kit :D

Great performance in most areas John! It looks like you are poised to win a contest or at minimum get some top 3 placings if you can avoid bombing any events.

You're going to make a few of the top guys nervous with that Euro performance. :rock:rock:rock Now, if you start training it, and improve 10%/10 KG or even 10 lbs....Now what the hell is wrong with you re: getting that double Blob lift? That should be a piece of cake for you now-just kidding, I know the feel on Blobs can change and they're not a reliable lift for most of us.

I feel you on that hub, I think 35 lbs. would stymie me as well. I think if you'd have lifted even 10 or 20 lbs. on the hub, you'd have gotten 2nd place.

I wish i could have met Joe Mugovero, isn't he the guy that did something like 58 or 60 inch deadlifts in succession?

Those Blob scoops are sick. If anyone thinks they aren't difficult, they're crazy, and need to try it themselves.

Edited by odin

I think the 9 reps with the 17lb might be more impressive than the 228 on the 2HP. That's A LOT of reps!

Did you guys CCS that Vulcan on level 12?

I think the 9 reps with the 17lb might be more impressive than the 228 on the 2HP. That's A LOT of reps!

I got distracted and posted before I commented on that, continuing the trend of John's levering to be overlooked, I guess the thought process must be:

"Oh, that's John Eaton, he has bionic/pneumatic/hydraulic wrists and elbows, so let's not dwell on his levering ability even if no one other than Slim could do it"

I did tell him that it seems his levering does get overlooked when we talked on the phone yesterday. But it's funny that you (Josh)can do some things wrist/forearm related that John cannot approach yet (plate wrist curl, wrist curl and others). The dimensions of strength available for development in the lower arm are fascinating in their complexity.

Hey John, what was the setup on the lever? All the way down to the head?

17 for 9 is nice. Something for me to shoot for.

Joe Mugovero standing next to Jedd, look like father and son. He told me he has deadlifted the Inch 64 times total over time. That's only the ones he counts though. He only counts it if he lifts it to lockout and back to the floor under control.

The Blob BTF scoops are a different lift, than deadlifting a blob BTF. I don't think, I'm far off on that. but I could be wrong :blush

I did 8 good levers on the 17 lber and the 9th my arm dipped and wasn't counted. I also did some super strict levers to the nose, after the contest.

Hey John, what was the setup on the lever? All the way down to the head?

17 for 9 is nice. Something for me to shoot for.

It was free standing to the head or break the plane of the head. Dave did not count any that the arm dropped at all. I got 8 good ones and the last one my arm dipped and didn't count.

It was real nice to see levering at a contest again and not because I'm biased :D

Well i did 9 with the 8lber. HAHA That was PR for me! John is very good at it.

Sure, brag about it :D (I got one rep)

Sorry, double post

Edited by The Writer

Well i did 9 with the 8lber. HAHA That was PR for me! John is very good at it.

Sure, brag about it :D (I got one rep)

Yeah man,Bigmatt you got more than us 2 combined. :D Ya big lucky. :D I only got 3.

Edited by crobb1320

Very fine lifting everyone! Well done.

Jedd, congrats on the victory!

Brendan, great job on taking second!

Mr. Eaton... :bow and :rock and :mosher :mosher It's apparent you jumped up a few notches since Gripmas.

Jedd and Eaton, what were your official weights on the pinch? Were the plates and equipment calibrated to within 1/10th of a pound, at least?

Did you guys CCS that Vulcan on level 12?

Josh we were crushing the Vulcan at various widths but were not using a credit card, one of the crushes with my left was no set but most of them I would say were just wider than paralell.Nice Gripper for sure Feels like you could really get some serious resistance on the highest settings and was nice to work with.

Brendan