Making A Trip To Fastenal

TravisRush

I need some steel between 1/4" round and square...I live less than a block from a Fastenal and want to get some more stuff...what should I get? I'm getting 20 feet of something no matter what! :) Someone please steer me in the right direction

I need some steel between 1/4" round and square...I live less than a block from a Fastenal and want to get some more stuff...what should I get? I'm getting 20 feet of something no matter what! :) Someone please steer me in the right direction

Good to see you allready needing something stronger tha 1/4" round. 1/4" is lots harder. I'd suggest 1/4" hex which is somewhat harder than round but not nearly as hard as 1/4" square.

I believe FNL CRS stock comes in 12' lengths while their HRS comes in 20' lengths. They'll cut it shorter to fit in your car or truck if needed.

I agree with Neil go with 1/4 Hex CRS unless you want to start getting

into drill rod then I would go with the .257 they come in 3' pcs. . Are you bending

any 60d nails just curious.

It's been awhile since my last trip to a Fastenal, but make sure the square stock is "1018". Also, don't be discouraged if what you want isn't in the store itself. Every other time I've made a trip to Fastenal, I've had to had stuff ordered, custom-cut, etc. This was true when I had 303-SS cut to 20 pieces each of 7", 6-1/2", and 6". Now, if I could just actually bend one of them.... :angry:

nice going on your first G2 if your just starting to work on the 60d

get the 1/4" CRS round at 6" it's a little easyier then then 60d. also get 1/4" hex

that will be your next step up after the 60d.

Edited by lone Wolf

I will do the hex and I still have some round left (not much though) so maybe I should get both...

Brad, the last time I was there, I also had to order...it's not a problem to me...

One question though...they will actually cut it to 7" lengths? Man, I had it as 4-5' lengths and cut it myself :(

TRAVIS great job with your bending progress, I think that s awesome that you have a Fastenal that close to your house, you should never run out of steel to bend

Perhaps you should try some 1/4" 0-1 drillrod,its a good stepping stone between the crs and the hex.

Perhaps you should try some 1/4" 0-1 drillrod,its a good stepping stone between the crs and the hex.

Beware here as I bought some .250" supposedly O-1 DR from in stock at my local FNL and it is easier to bend than their .242 O-1 DR !! So I suspect the stock in-store stuff maybe was something easier than O-1. I have good calipers and believe me it is .250.

I can bend .246 FNL DR and also Yellow nails but have yet to conquer .250 FNL round CRS. My kink is the problem as it always has been (LOL when I started DO I managed a 5 deg kink in a TT :blush ) and my crush is lots better than my kink.

For certain I found it harder to crushdown .246 DR than the Yellow nail and that wimpy .250 in stock DR was easy to crush as well.

Allow me to suggest .257 DR Travis, if you are killing 1/4" CRS and if your crush isn't your weak spot since O-1 DR is definately harder to crushdown than most common CRS (1018) at the same size. However DR isn't cheap (so just order 1 piece to try) and I am unsure if .257 DR is even easier than FNL 1/4" hex although I'd suspect so.

.. neilkaz ..

Travis, I recommend buying as much of the 1/4" CRS-1045 as you can afford and store. It's harder than the 1/4" Hex even, and a pretty good bend really. I haven't had any calibrated but can tell you it's harder inch for inch than a G5 for sure. In between a G5 and a G8 in fact. Plus it's pretty cheap at something like 4 cents an inch.

OK...I'm pretty confused....

I'm working towards a 60D

The concensus seems to be that the hex is a good step between round and the 60D...am I wrong here?

What specifically should I get?

6"x1/4" Round CRS is the closest stuff to a 60d. Therefore I would go with some round. You can always cut it to 5" after you get the 6" and 60d to make it more of a challenge. I'm not sure I'd get a ton, though, if you're close. I like the idea of getting 1/4" hex, but it is going to be harder than a 60d.

Travis, I recommend buying as much of the 1/4" CRS-1045 as you can afford and store. It's harder than the 1/4" Hex even, and a pretty good bend really. I haven't had any calibrated but can tell you it's harder inch for inch than a G5 for sure. In between a G5 and a G8 in fact. Plus it's pretty cheap at something like 4 cents an inch.

Good advice on the 1045, Ben and I hope to be strong enough to use it some day, myself. I do trust that it is easier than 1018 square ?

I certainly prefer to be able to make good use of cheap stock, rather than expensive DR. .. neilkaz ..

Good advice on the 1045, Ben and I hope to be strong enough to use it some day, myself. I do trust that it is easier than 1018 square ?

I certainly prefer to be able to make good use of cheap stock, rather than expensive DR. .. neilkaz ..

Thanks Neil. It is easier than the 1/4" Square-1018, but not by much. It is really super hard stuff for the price! Jason Payne bend a 7" piece of it in Ironmind pads when he was over, nice bend Jason! I have a friend who bent a 6" G8 in Ironmind pads recently and he barely eked out a 6" bend on the 1/4" CRS-1045. It's nasty hard.

Travis

at home depot they have 30lbs boxes of 60D nails, they are a very tight spirial and are thick (not timber ties, these are 1/4) they are in a clear plastic bucket with a green and black label (they are NOT gripbrite either, i have no idea what brand)

these 60Ds are harder than IM blues. they retail for 45-50 bucks and will last you a long time. I will guess there are 300-350 nails in one box. I recommend you pick one of those up if you can. I will look in the garage and see if i can find the label.

Can somebody make a decision for me? I don't want to make any mistakes on this stuff.

Travis YOU need to make the decisions for YOUR training, every one here can offer advice and experience.

your buying some metal to bend, not a house car or college. pick something, if it is too easy than get harder, if its too hard than cheat kink or use it for Isos and it will move for you

Can somebody make a decision for me? I don't want to make any mistakes on this stuff.

Travis YOU need to make the decisions for YOUR training, every one here can offer advice and experience.

your buying some metal to bend, not a house car or college. pick something, if it is too easy than get harder, if its too hard than cheat kink or use it for Isos and it will move for you

I didn't mean for itto sound rude. I just don't want a bunch of easier stock.

Travis, I made the suggestions I did because I thought you were wanting something that was easier than 1/4" Square-1018, but was still pretty hard. If you aren't able to bend a 60D quite yet, then 1/4" CRS would probably be good. But that big box of 60Ds is a great idea too. Cheatkink a 100 of them to varying degrees and go to town on them. You'd get plenty strong just doing that in your workouts if all you had was 60Ds. Soon you'll be bending them from straight. Then cutting them down. Then buying 6" G5s. And then 6" G8s.

You could order some 9/32" O-1 drill rod from fastenal (has to be special order). Don't quite remember if it was harder or easier than my hard 60d's--your mileage may vary!

Thanks,

Justin

You could order some 9/32" O-1 drill rod from fastenal (has to be special order). Don't quite remember if it was harder or easier than my hard 60d's--your mileage may vary!

Thanks,

Justin

The 9/32" I tried was a little easier then a G8 inch for inch so I don't think that's be a good idea to order. Not sure if Aaron's was O1 or W1, but if it was W1 that just means this would be harder.