Visit To The Whey Consortium

coombsfh

Today I visited the whey consortium. As soon as I arrived a bear walked out of a house across the road and led me into a concreted square full of atlas stones and crates. Without so much as a proper introduction to any of the kit, "video me trying the vulcan on level 15 for David."

The frist video showed the closed gripper but was less than ideal for showing the set, the second was good for the set but the close was missed by the narrowest margin.

To start off we did weaver stick. I knew what it was but had only done one before and pleasingly I just about managed 6 3/4kg after one failed attempt.

Then was rolling thunder which Steve murdered repeatedly and I merely played at then got cross and felt small and useless.

Following this was some "junior" (my arse) strongman training which consisted of the exceedingly knackering weighted sled drag, atlas stones (only to 100kg for me) onto a platform and farmers walk which I found hand not only on the hands but also the tops of your shoulders.

I was almightily impressed with some of the regulars who were nailing some very impressive figures. I saw laurence Shallei doing some insane dead lifts etc and that was inspiring and humbling all at once.

I also tried some blob work (not a 50 though) and managed to get a middle-ring lift. I also did plate pinch negatives on 3 10's and 5 5's. I was dead by now but having never done any bench press before I wanted to try one. I am not sure what I got to but Steve said he thought 100 KG would not be out of the question if I practised a little and went at it more rested.

I really enjoyed a hard day with Steve and it was enlightening, humbling, motivating and good fun.

Only a swift report as I have to go and eat pizza to replenish my seriously dwindling supplies of energy.

Excellent day, thanks Steve, everyone should try to visit as just the tips alone are worth the fees.

Kind regards to all, Merry easter,

Fred

Fred (bad Steve, no cookie!) forgot to mention that when he got home he was so stoked gave me a 30 minute phonecall to fill me in on his visit before he even got out of the car!

Sorry - Fred :blush

We pretty much did a workout with the weaver stick and Thumbless Rolling Thunder. We had a few spare minutes before the 'juniors' (more novices really) arrived and so played with the 44lb Blob and first the baby Inch (Fred had no problems with this) then the Inch (a different matter).

He then joined in, as he says, with the strongman training. Farmers first and I think he worked to the big 100-kilos a hand but not for a real distance - baring in mind he has (he said) not even deadlifted it wasn't a bad first try. We then did thick bar clean and press and while his first efforts with 70-kilos we're off his 2nd, 3rd and 4th all passed muster. He did 24metres with 100-kilos and the same or a little less with 160-kilos but was out at 220-kilo sled drags. We reset the atlas platform and I watched him to 80-kilos but missed his work with the 100-kilos. I think Kai and Tony worked to 110-kilos (platform was at about 48-inches). I think the guys did a finisher while I showed Fred some tips on plate pinching. Having given that a go he asked form some pointers on the bench and I had him do some successful lifts with a solid 80-kilos but 90 was not on today.

I'd said at the beginning he had both an advantage and a disadvantage in not knowing where is limitations were - so he'd give it his all but not save anything for the next lift. He'll be tired but it'll have been fun. I agree with Twigs earlier statement in that Fred shows some potential for a guy who says he's not done much if anything with the weights before.

With Steve, Loz, Harry, Mike, Nick etc training at the Whey it is probably one of the most "happening" venues in the UK at the moment - up there with Adlington, the Pompey Massif, Leeds etc....

As soon as I arrived a bear walked out of a house across the road and led me into a concreted square full of atlas stones and crates.

For some reason that really made me laugh :D

That sounds like one fun day indeed

As soon as I arrived a bear walked out of a house across the road and led me into a concreted square full of atlas stones and crates.

For some reason that really made me laugh :D

That sounds like one fun day indeed

lol yeh steves a lot bigger than he looks in videos

good work on that blob fred! keep at it dude!

Today I am thinking how much of my money I can afford to blast on weighty easter presents for myself. I quite fancy a load of plates as they have a multitude of uses. First they can be stuck onto scaffolding as a v-bar, stuck onto scaffolding as thick bar and also as a chubby weaver stick. They also work your pinch.

Today I am also feeling the burn, my traps shoulders and back are all shot and complaining. Feels good to know I can shift a little bit of heavy stuff though.

Also performed an easter moony on my mate's mum. We loved it, she is upset but i feel it was worth it!

Anyone UK fancy selling a blob50?

Today I am thinking how much of my money I can afford to blast on weighty easter presents for myself. I quite fancy a load of plates as they have a multitude of uses. First they can be stuck onto scaffolding as a v-bar, stuck onto scaffolding as thick bar and also as a chubby weaver stick. They also work your pinch.

Today I am also feeling the burn, my traps shoulders and back are all shot and complaining. Feels good to know I can shift a little bit of heavy stuff though.

Also performed an easter moony on my mate's mum. We loved it, she is upset but i feel it was worth it!

Anyone UK fancy selling a blob50/55/60?