Spare Change?

Paul Knight

Something else that I've heard of people doing but can't seem to manage is bending/folding a quater in half - without pliers (unless you consider your hands as pliers). I've been looking for a vid on youtube, but all that comes up is a magic trick. Can anyone do this?

I don't think anyone can do that. But when you come over today I'll show you the penny I folded in half with my teeth and thumb. Steve McGranahan is quite good at penny bending.

I don't think anyone can do that. But when you come over today I'll show you the penny I folded in half with my teeth and thumb. Steve McGranahan is quite good at penny bending.

Bending coins with the teeth and thumb- Absolutely. Done with the hands-No one has bent a modern U.S. coin. The strongest sets of hands on the planet right now (Brookfield and Rogers) have both said they think its impossible to bend a US quarter. I have seen videos of legit coin bends from other nations coins which were much larger, but I do not know what they mint their coins from (may be high quality alum mixed with something?)

If some one could provide proof of a legit quarter bend, from a US minted coin-It would be hands down one of the greatest feats of hand strength ever.

Question:

After the initial "kink" (if it could be called that) of using the teeth like pliers and thumb as a bender, do you then bite down on it to get it to fold over? Basically, how do you get that complete fold over in the coin?

Question:

After the initial "kink" (if it could be called that) of using the teeth like pliers and thumb as a bender, do you then bite down on it to get it to fold over? Basically, how do you get that complete fold over in the coin?

I have never seen some one completely fold a penny, only bend it a little, which was more than enough to impress.

If some one had very strong finger tip strength, they may be able to fold it over since the kink would be the hardest part- I suppose someone has bit down and closed it, but my dentist would kick my tail in if i did that.... :blink

I'm guessing that's what Steve McGranahan does, because some of the coins in his gallery are folded in half.

And you're right about the dentist thing... thankfully, to my knowledge my dentist has never even heard of the GB, so I have no worries... but should he ever find out,

I'll be :flame and :trout

Anyone know for sure if that's what Steve did/does? Those are mighty impressive. I agree though, if your fingertips are strong enough, they could be finished there after the kink.