Back After A While

Lol999

Hi all, back after a long while. Been photographing life and doing bits of DIY. Last year I was hoping to train to enter this years grip comp at David Horne's but it never came to pass. Then in early Feb this year I had an argument with a 10" mitre saw: I've managed to shave off 10% of the middle knuckle of my left middle finger along with severing the extensor tendons. Plastic surgery and 16 stitches later I can get a slight bend on the finger after 6 weeks. it's gonna be a long lay off from anything lefthanded. Obviously I can no longer do any boxing training or use my KB, which I might have to sell if I can no longer grip it safely with my left hand.

However, on a grip related note I started getting my COC Trainer out and repping away with my RIGHT hand. Then I broke out the #1 and do sets of low reps. Then I decided at the end of one of these mini workouts to get my RB160 out. I closed it to within 10mm of touching, which is all I could do last year when I was training grip seriously! Makes me think I was overtraining somewhat :blush

Anyway, hope everyone's well.

Cheers, Lol

I'm glad to have you back and hope you make a good recovery.

I had the very same argument with a 10" power mitre saw in the early 1990s, shaving off the tips of my left forefinger and middle finger. My injury wasn't nearly as serious as yours, though, requiring only a few stitches.

glad to see your back, heal up soon. have your other injuries recovered?

Hi egg. No mate, the injuries/condition are ever present hence the sale of the trap bar last year. Was hoping to get back into some cardio, Kb training, hitting the punchbag and a bit of grip. For now it's just the bit of grip and, when I can get my fat ass on the spinning bike, some cardio. What a moron. I still can't believe it.

Cheers, Lol

• 5 months later...

Well it's been 6 months since my last post and a few things have changed since I did the finger. In July I completely TNS closed my RB160 for the first time not once, but twice after months of no regular training! I was demo-ing it to my son's Swedish friends who were visiting and was so surprised I gave it to one of the Swedish lads who's a strength enthusiast as a present (he's still trying to close it). I've been doing quite a bit of thick bar training using my homemade concrete barbell with 2.5" bar that's building my forearms and hands nicely. I tried pinch grip training agaiun today and managed 67.5 Kg easy enough, compared to my previous best of 70Kg that's not too shabby. As for the hand, well I can now almost close the Coc #1 with it, which is pretty damned good considering, and on the back of my surprise Rb160 close I've ordered a Coc#2. Can't be bad. Full damage in it's dislocated state can be seen here! Ouch!

Cheers, Lol

Edited by Lol999

Ouch indeed, I think I'd keep my distance from the table saw's if at all possible - that's one nasty wound.

Hope the recovery continues well, as the already near close of the number one is truly inspiring considering the extent of the injury.

Best of luck!

first off. ouch!!! that looks really bad!

and secondly, well done on your achievements with the injured hand, that is very impressive.

all the best.

Cheers Dimmers, it's been a long journey from the pink squeezy foam in physio. Soon as I get the #1 closed I'll cut loose on the #2 with it. major face pulling!