Question For Gazza And Aaron

bencrush

This is also an open question to anyone else who has ever moved a Big G8 (Eric, please chime in since you moved one a big amount on the sweep!) in any range. Kink, sweep, crushdown. I've kinked a few, so that's not my biggest concern. I want to hear from the guys who've moved them in the sweep range and especially the guys who have crushed one down from any distance.

Do you think the crushdown is harder than the kink or sweep on the monster Big G8s? I know that's a hard question to answer considering we all have different strengths in different ranges. But in general, when you guys bent these, was it a terrible kink, followed by a hard-but-doable sweep, and then a very hard crush? Or another order.

I am not bending them from straight or on the sweep, but I cheatkinked a 6 and 11/16" Big G8 to 2.75" and took 5 hits and 4 isos to get it to 2". Plus it's 3/8" offcenter, so that made it even worse. I can't imagine, seriously, bending this SOB from straight to then sweep it to the crushdown and then have to deal with the immense freaking pressure on the crushdown. I think the guys who have never touched one of these on the crushdown ought to buy some and go to town. It'll probably bring up your crushdown strength faster than anything else. The spring on them is freaking nuts! On 2 hits I only moved it 1/32" each time. That's pretty screwed up because I've also crushed down a 5.25" Edgin faster and easier than this.

Thanks in advance. :cool

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7132

Ben, for me the kink on those is night and day harder than the crush. Sweep was hard but doable and crush was springy but not as bad as I expected. I had done a few from various stages of prekink 7" ones that is long before I could ever get one moving from straight. 7" kink is not my strongest area of bending though. Damn your crush is getting strong though finishing a cut down Big G8 prekink or not is some big stuff. Congrats! :rock

- Aaron

Ben, for me the kink on those is night and day harder than the crush. Sweep was hard but doable and crush was springy but not as bad as I expected. I had done a few from various stages of prekink 7" ones that is long before I could ever get one moving from straight. 7" kink is not my strongest area of bending though. Damn your crush is getting strong though finishing a cut down Big G8 prekink or not is some big stuff. Congrats! :rock

- Aaron

Aaron

what was harder, Big Gr8 or the KOAB? I have been moving my KOAB ISO bar the last three work outs, but i know there is a spot i will be stuck at for a few weeks, and i am almost there. I am wondering if i should drop down to a big Gr8, but some people listed them as harder than a KOAB

your thoughts are appeciated

i tihnk the lastest KOAB's cal'd at 780, pretty sure thats higher than the G8

I know Teddy i saw that too- but the thing with the Cal is it does not reflect how springy a piece of steel is a 710lbs bar that is springy would be way harder than a 780 that does not.

Look at the golden bastard- not really tougher than a red nail, until you move past 90 degrees. the last inch and half feels like sponge, shove down, springs right back

So that is why i ask- looking for my next logical progression

It depends which KOAB you have Adam, if it's the latest ones the Big G8 will be WAY easier, if it's the older batch the G8 will be a little harder.

A Big G8 is not 710, it's 675 I think, just a note

Edited by vikingsrule92

Adam, get some big G8 and see what you can do with it. I was working on the KOAB myself and was really surprised that I could kink the big G8. Even if it was just a small kink I could still do more damage to it than a KOAB. But off course it might be a totally different matter beyond the initial minikink.

It depends which KOAB you have Adam, if it's the latest ones the Big G8 will be WAY easier, if it's the older batch the G8 will be a little harder.

Derek

my KOAB arrived last month, so i am not sure if that is the same batch Eric cal'ed

if that is the case, i need to head to fastenal tomorrow.

Also- Aaron, what brand of gr8 (if known) did you get? do they have hatches or weird marks on the head to make them standout?

I am sending Eric a big Gr8 after i buy them tomorrow because i am interested to see how tough these buggers are...

Derek

my KOAB arrived last month, so i am not sure if that is the same batch Eric cal'ed

if that is the case, i need to head to fastenal tomorrow.

Also- Aaron, what brand of gr8 (if known) did you get? do they have hatches or weird marks on the head to make them standout?

I am sending Eric a big Gr8 after i buy them tomorrow because i am interested to see how tough these buggers are...

I think those are the new ones in the upper 700s, but you might want to send one to Eric.

Aaron's Big G8 bend was with a Triangle Brand G8 from FBBC.

It depends on the brand, but as long as it's Triangle it won't fluctuate, as bolts usually don't, it should be 675, just like the one Aaron bent

Im with Aaron Kink on the big g8 was the hard part it actually felt harder for me to kink than the same bolt at 6inches but like Aaron my kink is my weak point once its moving if it keeps going to about 95degrees or more its a done deal.

I told people before get some of these and some 3/8inch stainless and prekink em and use em for crushdown training everything else then feels easy unless you find other big stuff.

Ben

You seem to be doing mostly crushdown work of late and letting the other take care of itself thats pretty much how i trained bending for a long while still do from time to time once your fighting those big bolts and stainless and conquering them in there hardest zone like your finding out all that strength will cross over then once you dial in your technique bang its amazing.

Ive tried a good few different koab bars and equivalents the big g8 for me was harder to kink than all of them bar one so the poundages dont always reflect the difficulty but i always new that numbers are sometimes just that numbers :D you either have the strength or you dont and you keep on hitting it till you do have the strength its only another piece of steel.

Edit ive done three different types of big g8 bolt there pretty consistant but i would say the triangle brand was slightly harder.

Ben get yourself some big f911s for crushdown training those are significantly harder than a big g8.

Gazza you still never showed us that big f911 bend. I really can't wait to see that, and a certain square perhaps?

Adam, you know you are gonna want to try the big g8 regardless so just get it man! You will find out yourself how it feels. Moving a koab iso bar, crazy man. Is that from straight or kinked or where?

Aaron, have you tried any 3/8" stainless yet?

Ben, I have only done 1/4" g8's and only 6" or less. But the springy crush was the hardest. I don't see why a bigger peice of the same thing would be any different. I also am like aaron and gazza in that 7" kink is difficult for me. I think this is why they are saying the kink is harder. By all logic the crush should be way harder if you in a comfortable kink range, if 7" is hard for you than obviously it is gonna suck getting it kinked, if you have the flexibility like mr. unbraced 10" spike bender David Wigren, then the kink is easier.

Gazza you still never showed us that big f911 bend. I really can't wait to see that, and a certain square perhaps?

Adam, you know you are gonna want to try the big g8 regardless so just get it man! You will find out yourself how it feels. Moving a koab iso bar, crazy man. Is that from straight or kinked or where?

Aaron, have you tried any 3/8" stainless yet?

Ben, I have only done 1/4" g8's and only 6" or less. But the springy crush was the hardest. I don't see why a bigger peice of the same thing would be any different. I also am like aaron and gazza in that 7" kink is difficult for me. I think this is why they are saying the kink is harder. By all logic the crush should be way harder if you in a comfortable kink range, if 7" is hard for you than obviously it is gonna suck getting it kinked, if you have the flexibility like mr. unbraced 10" spike bender David Wigren, then the kink is easier.

Tiim

I bought a BB Galaxy a few weeks back, crushdown reps with those plus ISOs goes a long ways, plus spending a lot more time working my reverse and DU. I will get my next goal before Summer. The bar was cheat kinked about 15 degrees to start, and i just keep it in my gear bag, once or twice a day i hit it.

Hey for you, on an unrelated event, i got some info on that shoulder thing we were talking about, PM me

- Aaron

Thanks for the reply Aaron! I don't predict that I will ever bend anything very hard again from straight. But thanks a lot for the crushdown compliment! You guys are monsters.

Im with Aaron Kink on the big g8 was the hard part it actually felt harder for me to kink than the same bolt at 6inches but like Aaron my kink is my weak point once its moving if it keeps going to about 95degrees or more its a done deal.

I told people before get some of these and some 3/8inch stainless and prekink em and use em for crushdown training everything else then feels easy unless you find other big stuff.

Ben

You seem to be doing mostly crushdown work of late and letting the other take care of itself thats pretty much how i trained bending for a long while still do from time to time once your fighting those big bolts and stainless and conquering them in there hardest zone like your finding out all that strength will cross over then once you dial in your technique bang its amazing.

Ive tried a good few different koab bars and equivalents the big g8 for me was harder to kink than all of them bar one so the poundages dont always reflect the difficulty but i always new that numbers are sometimes just that numbers :D you either have the strength or you dont and you keep on hitting it till you do have the strength its only another piece of steel.

Edit ive done three different types of big g8 bolt there pretty consistant but i would say the triangle brand was slightly harder.

Ben get yourself some big f911s for crushdown training those are significantly harder than a big g8.

Gazza, thanks for the insights man! Yeah, you had it right all along training the isos so much. I might have to get a few big F911s then. Course I'm still very challenged by the Big G8s for now! I microbudged a 5 and 7/8" Big G8 in my training session today...not even quite a millimeter, but I measured and remeasured and am pretty sure it actually moved. Holy crap those are insane. I've bought some 3/8" Stainless-304 and can't move it a fraction at 7" or 8". I can flex it at 8", when it's cheatkinked to my strong range of 3" and under. But how you bend this shit is beyond me. It tests my cheater bar to the max and it isn't even Stainless-303. I also bought Stainless-303 though and since I had only tried previously to move a 12" bar of this (cheatkinked to 4 or 5") it was a big eye opener to cut a shorter piece of 9" and not be able to move it at all from 3". I could flex it, but nothing else.

I bought a BB Galaxy a few weeks back, crushdown reps with those plus ISOs goes a long ways

I don't know allot about grippers, I only have 4 coc ones. That galaxy looks like fun, I didn't even think there was one that would be challengeing for crushdown work but boy I was wrong. Are these made for crushdowns? I mean they have to be a gag for actual grippers, 1000 lbs?! Does anyone know the spring diameter on the last 3 big ones, galaxy to universe?

I also bought Stainless-303 though and since I had only tried previously to move a 12" bar of this

Braden got some of these. I will bend this braced! It may take a me a little bit though. But cutting it in half, my god. And doing that unbraced, my god.

Braden got some of these. I will bend this braced! It may take a me a little bit though. But cutting it in half, my god. And doing that unbraced, my god.

Yeah, these are beastly to braced bend at 12"! I have done a few but they're pretty expensive. Almost $6 a bar where I buy them.