Bending technique

Drassk

I just went to the hardware store today and picked up some aluminum gutter spikes and some 3/16" square steel rods(don't laugh at the newbie  :blush ).  They were pretty easy to bend after the initial bend and I can crush them to a U once they're bent enough to fit in one hand.  What I'm really wondering is what muscles are you guys pushing with to bend nails?  Are you locking your wrists and using a lot of shoulder (which is where I seem to feel the bends most) or are you using your wrists more?  Does anyone have a video of some bending?  I went to Strongman's and Tom's pages and I find the 'Slim' style of bending much more comfortable but something just doesn't feel right.

Pick up the latest issue of IRONMAN magazine; they have an article in it about Bill Pearl and Chuck Sipes talking about their strongman acts, specifically about steel bending and other feats of strength that they used to perform.

I've had experience bending the ironmind crs bars for about two months now and have experimented with the three fundamental hand positions. Out of this, I've found the spike bending style to be the most advantageous in terms of total muscle recruitment. Using this style seems to allow more shoulder, upper arm, and pectoral involvement, thus more power can be generated and transferred. It took me about a month to fully bend the blue bar in this style, and now is quite easy. Using the "slim" style or a hand-over-hand type grip seems to require more wrist and hand strength, and even the yellow bar stops me when trying either of these ways and feel dar less comfortable. I don't know much about bending -- just the information accumulated from this site and a few others. Anyone else find it easier to bend this way, or is it just me? This is my first post, by the way. I'm from Atlanta, GA.  :D

Bigdog,

Good job bending the  blue.  I also favor the spikebending style, but I mainly bend using wrist strength, like Strongman does in his avatar. Initially I tried locking my wrists and using more lat and tricep strength.

What are you doing for progressions now that you have conquered the blue?

Robert