Cobra Rhodes

Matt Brouse

Vs. Bill Sinks...

A quickie vs. Sharon Remez...

Vs. Dave Patton sitting down...

vs. Bill Sinks No. 2

Vs. Charlie Yorston seated

He often looks like pulling in dangerous positions, but he is not, as he didn't hurt himself.

He often looks like pulling in dangerous positions, but he is not, as he didn't hurt himself.

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, same here, he hits that shoulder roll and the arm starts cranking back but it pretty much just makes him unmovable. Ridiculous.

That looked like something from "Over the Top". Long matches going back and forth that are supposed to be unrealistic by real arm wrestling standards. IMO it much more entertaining than seeing 2 seconds fly swats.

He IS in a Dangerous Position. Just so you all know. A dangerous position is the strongest position, as you are adding the strength of your joint to your muscles and tendons, and most people who go there don't hurt themselves.

IMO it should not be an illegal position.

Bob

He IS in a Dangerous Position. Just so you all know. A dangerous position is the strongest position, as you are adding the strength of your joint to your muscles and tendons, and most people who go there don't hurt themselves.

Bob

Bob, maybe you can help me out:

If this IS a dangerous position, why doesn't the ref stop the match? What are exactly the rules about this position? Doesn't the ref has to stop the match or does he has discretionary authority?

Bob

Bob, maybe you can help me out:

If this IS a dangerous position, why doesn't the ref stop the match? What are exactly the rules about this position? Doesn't the ref has to stop the match or does he has discretionary authority?

Bob are you talking about Cobra or Bill, or both being out of position. Funny thing is I've seen video from a different angle on the Secrets of Armwrestling tape and they show Bill's hand being way outside of his shoulder when Karen Bean is talking about the "Break Arm" position, yet the match wasn't stopped and no warning issued. So same question as Florian - how come these matches weren't stopped?

I bet it was because Cobra is a legend and Bill is a very well known and respected puller as well and the refs probably don't always call it when a veteran does it!

But what do I know! Just trying to see if I can guess Bob's answer :tongue

Arturo is correct.

First Both, at different times, are in Dangerous Position. Many times when well known pullers don't get call in this position.

Dangerous Position, when your pulling arm is behind your pulling shoulder and your are turning your body away from your arm.

Arturo is correct.

First Both, at different times, are in Dangerous Position. Many times when well known pullers don't get call in this position.

Dangerous Position, when your pulling arm is behind your pulling shoulder and your are turning your body away from your arm.

How "dangerous" a position is depends upon who is doing it. In EVERY broken arm I've seen in real life (only about three or four), no one was in a "bad" position nor were they in a long, heated battle with Alexey Voevoda or John Brzenk. In short, they were inexperienced pullers whose bones were not used to that kind of tension.

At the 2003 Nationals, I saw one of the lighter guys get his arm twisted into a pretzel - one of the most difficult to watch matches I have seen. Yet, nothing happened because through many years of experience of pulling, his bones density adjusted accordingly to the tension.

I don’t recommend pulling with arm behind the shoulder as you are almost asking for trouble, but there is really no such thing as a truly “safe” position if you are new to the sport and just starting out. There’s always some risk involved. At the same time, you NEED that tension on your arms in order to stimulate bone density and growth.

(Keep in mind I am a pulling rookie, but, I think I have a good understanding body mechanics and such)

So, essentially, this "break arm" position is considered dangerous because of the considerable amount of torque place upon the elbow, medial ligaments and the ulnar/radius. It is, however, this same position and resultant torque which is also advantageous to the puller simply because the force generated by the pulling action is then compounded with the body essentially "fighting it's own mechanics." The joint/arm is at its end range of motion and thus will be either more difficult to pull further or it will break.

Wow, looks like I'm still long winded... :)

The "break-arm" position is mostly dangerous because the only thing supporting your arm is no longer muscles and tendons, only your humerus bone. It is at great risk of a rotational fracture.

I bet it was because Cobra is a legend and Bill is a very well known and respected puller as well and the refs probably don't always call it when a veteran does it!

But what do I know! Just trying to see if I can guess Bob's answer :tongue

If I ever become a well known and respected puller I sincerely hope I get called every single time for a dangerous position. If a ref has given me warnings, for dangerous arm, I always thank them after the match for looking out for my arm.