Unreal Soreness

anson

A week ago today I had my first training session at Rick Layton's in Albermarle, NC. It was a great time, super bunch of guys. My mistake was going all out effort. The next day I was sore, but 48 hrs after the session the misery set in. I'm not talking about the robust muscle ache you get after an intense bout of heavy squatting or dead lifting- I'm talking debilitating joint instability in my elbows and shoulders. Guys, I've never felt anything like this, even lifting my 11 month old son caused throbbing pain for days. I'm going back today, this time I'll go a little easier till my joints are ready for the real work. I've lost an entire week of being able to do any king of upper body training, even the baby 15lb DBs felt like they were shattering me. Hopefully I've not done any permanent damage to my connective tissue. The reason I'm writing this is because I know a few people will read it before their first arm wrestling practice, do yourself a favor and don't go all out in the beginning, there will be plenty of time for that later.

A week ago today I had my first training session at Rick Layton's in Albermarle, NC. It was a great time, super bunch of guys. My mistake was going all out effort. The next day I was sore, but 48 hrs after the session the misery set in. I'm not talking about the robust muscle ache you get after an intense bout of heavy squatting or dead lifting- I'm talking debilitating joint instability in my elbows and shoulders. Guys, I've never felt anything like this, even lifting my 11 month old son caused throbbing pain for days. I'm going back today, this time I'll go a little easier till my joints are ready for the real work. I've lost an entire week of being able to do any king of upper body training, even the baby 15lb DBs felt like they were shattering me. Hopefully I've not done any permanent damage to my connective tissue. The reason I'm writing this is because I know a few people will read it before their first arm wrestling practice, do yourself a favor and don't go all out in the beginning, there will be plenty of time for that later.

Some people just have to learn the hard way :blush . Somehow I'm not all that surprised that you are one of them :D . Ice and Ibu - increase circulation any way possible - even walking will help. Even light pulling only a week later (before you heal) is going to mess you up again so be careful.

A typical start :)

I know exactly what you're talking about Anson. Training with bands in my basement at submax efforts has reduced my recovery time from about 1 month to about 2 weeks after a a tourny or all out match(es). My advice would be ice and rest until you heal up, otherwise you'll just be spinning your wheels. My gym time and grip training have gone way down since increasing my AW training because of the after-effects you're talking about. I guess you either love it or you don't.

Very typical early armwrestling experience. Don't train again until you are absolutely sure that the soreness is gone. Over time this soreness will go away or at least get much worse. I have only been armwrestling for about a year and a half, and not even very consistently, and that sort of pain is basically gone. I can train all out for maybe half an hour or so on the table and have little or no tendon pain the next day now. However, if I were to train AGAIN the next day, that would be a huge mistake, and I would certainly have pain. I pulled in a tournament saturday and my arms felt fine afterwards. Sunday I wanted to try out my new dip belt so I did a couple pull-ups with a little weight added and my arm started screaming. Strange, but just the way it works I guess.

Yes typical start.

Here's some points.

1. Don't throw anything with that arm, as you will be in BIG pain.

2. Put the tens machine on to aid recovery.

3. This is essential, get the area massaged when you can. It hurts but boy is it worthwhile.

4. Ice and heat, rest and anti-inflams.

David

i always warn people before they have their first practice :D even people who lift a lot but you will adapt over time. I remember when i started my elbows and even my shoulders hurt after pulling but now if i pull on Sunday by Wed i am ready for my arm workout no problem.

I had the same problem as you after my first-in-a-while armwrestling session. I couldn't work out for 2 weeks afterwards, and even after that, I was still sore for 2 or 3 more weeks. The inner elbow hurt so much that I broke into a very heavy sweat for 20 minutes or so, even though the temperature in the room was cool. ;)

That's Arm Wrestling in a nutshell.

I suggest not doing grippers for 2-3 days after arm wrestling. You will regret it. :dry

I know your pain Anson. Rick was right when he said you will get weaker before you get stronger. I took me a day or so after my first practice to fully understand what he meant by that. been sore for about a month now. I am starting to like this soreness but hate the weakness. see ya next Monday.

Used to armwrestle often, but now I only do it when I'm feeling froggy. It alway's hampers my grip training. Hurts my elbow more when I struggle for a comback.

I know through my studies and my "years of experience" in training (because I'm soo old :rolleyes ) that I would know better than to step in and just go at it. But once I get the chance to legitimately train with armwrestlers...I'll go all out. I may have studies but I'm a meathead first and foremost.

I hope your next few workouts prove as or more productive and less detrimental to the rest of the week.

I know through my studies and my "years of experience" in training (because I'm soo old :rolleyes ) that I would know better than to step in and just go at it. But once I get the chance to legitimately train with armwrestlers...I'll go all out. I may have studies but I'm a meathead first and foremost.

I hope your next few workouts prove as or more productive and less detrimental to the rest of the week.

It's really hard to hold back at practice. As soon as you lock up, it's GAME ON! Even when we intend to only have a "light" workout, we come out of practice dead.

You do have to go VERY easy for the first couple of months. I hurt my right wrist in the first practice and after a year, it still bugs me from time-to-time. It took away my bench and grip strength for over 6 months. I was almost at the pin line, fighting to get back up. I turned my hand 45* toward the thumb side to try and open his fingers and "maybe" top-roll back up. That's when he finished me off with a quick turn of his wrist. He was much stronger and WAY more experienced. OUCH.

You must learn WHEN TO LOSE. Especially in practice. You'll never get to a tournament, if you are always hurting yourself in practice. I'm not saying slack off but every practice can't be 200%. Practice is for learning new techniques, as well as getting your tendons stronger. It takes time to learn your limit and hopefully your injuries won't be big ones along the way.

More than anything, armwrestling takes TIME and PRACTICE to get really good. It's easy to overdo it in the beginning. :)

• 1 year later...

I am newbie to armwrestling but have been working out with weights for many years so i am also fairly strong. On vacation I had the great experiance of training armwrestling with two world class arnwrestlres, a woman and her male sparring partner, and they were very nice to me and showed what and how to do and I pulled like really hard. The day after, no pain... Whatsoever. So i decded to go to the gym and do some heavy benching and bicepscurls... Went ip to 60 kg on the Z-curls (she could a double on 70 kg and I had to beat that:) It hurt like hell and I couldnt get full strength but still tried. But the day after, and the day after that... And so on. OMFG, I cpuld hardly lift 5 kg or hold 5 kg at 90 degrees, but I healed in a week. But the guy I pulled with adviced me to start pulling with the little boys and the SLOWLY work my way up. I will follow his advice!

:laugh this made me smile, but i sincerely hope you heel up soon. i had a similar experience after rock climbing for the first time.

R.I.C.E will help.

:laugh this made me smile, but i sincerely hope you heel up soon. i had a similar experience after rock climbing for the first time.

R.I.C.E will help.

Heck no way, I am from Asia and eating RICE everyday too but the pain persists :D ...Kidding. Of course R.I.C.E helps a lot

You know you're an AWer when the pain is something you would "man-handle" or can't wait for it to go away so you can do it again, knowing it will come back. I would say AW pain is one of the most intense pain! I used asked couples of bodybuilder guys to Aw with me in the gym, after awhile they would quit because the pain become such that it'd hindered their work out. Despite the fact that I was 5'6" 145# and they were 5'8" and 215# and 235# respectively.

But from trainer perspective, some soreness could become an injury and you can rest until it go way completely. I always question the fact that is: WHY IS THERE NO PROGRESSIVE TRAINING IN AW? Would you go to the gym on th every first day of you life and try to bench your max? squat your max? Heck NO! But we would AW to the point of unreal soreness. I do AW my fitness client on arm day, and they love it (despite being kicked in the a$$) But I take measure of not going all out on them to make sure they will come back again. All except Mike Altman (check him out on youtube.com) He is a Jujitsu practitioner for over 24 years and his wrist/forearm is rock solid. I'd to go all out on him before he told me it's sore next day (he weighed 200#)

RICE is an anagram for Rest Ice Compression Elevation

ship

Thanks... I keep that in mind next time I overdo it! But this time it worked with light training and some massage, but I will not aw hard for a week or two!