Measuring The 2" On An Off Center Nail

luuc

(See the picture that for some reason doesn't seem to work)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. A, B or somewhere between?

• A
    • B
    • between

Hey guys,

I need some help, this is probably a very stupid question (the do exist), but I'm gonna ask it anyway; if you bend a nail off center, where should you measure when you want to show you've actually got it past 2"?

I bend a piece of stainless today, 'a bit' off center, and when I measure between the ends of it, it's a bit over 2".

Of course I try to get it as far as I can, but breaking my fingers to get it to 1" might not be a good idea... :unsure

mha8ua.jpg

(This is the shiny bastard bended by M. Vogels)

Thanks a lot!

Edited by luuc

Here's the Link for you.

That doesn't look too off center to me. You measure more like 'B', but you pull the longer end of the leg down over the ruler and measure as if the legs were equal length. Therefore, I guess my answer is "In Between."

Here is a more extreme example from my own collection showing the proper way (as I was told) to measure off-center bends.

My First Grade 5 Bolt!

I've always just measured my offcenter bends just like any other. I think the rules allow you to "act" like the ends are equal and measure it like that.

Just like Ben said, I too measure as if both legs are the length of the shorter leg. I also make sure the piece is symmetrical to the top of the ruler, and not angled to one side or the other.

As jeremiah and Ben said just make sure when you put the steel to the ruler it makes a perfect V/U and it isn't tilted one way or the other then measure both as if they were the length of the shorter side, watch any of my videos (or others) where the bend is off center and watch how the measuring is done

Imagine a piece bent so off center it's impossible for the ends to be 2", is it a wasted bend? No. Besides, crushing a piece that off center means your WAY stronger than that piece of steel.

I modified the bending rules originally drafted by Pat Povilaitis. This is one area I addressed. Here's how the rules read, and they're pinned above, by the way:

The two inch measurement is to be taken from the inside edge of one leg of the bar to the inside edge of the opposite leg. When measuring bolts, the innermost portion of the bolt's head may be considered the inside edge. With regards to asymmetrical bends, measure from the inside edge of the bar's shorter leg to a point straight across on the inside of the opposite leg. Essentially you're treating the asymmetrical bend as if both legs of the bar were equal in length to that of the shorter leg.