Hex Bastard

big nasty

It does not say on John's site I bought some stainless 5/16 Hex at a scrap yard today.

Edited by big nasty

It's CRS. A Stainless Hexabastard is quite a feat!

Is Hex CRS harder than round bar?

No comparison! I kinked a shiny to 20 degrees and couldn't even wobble the hex.

Yes, put a Hex next to a round of the same dimension and you'll see there is a lot more stock there to bend :)

BTW, I've taken a Huge Shiny to 37 degrees but have yet to move one of the Huge and Grand Hexes I have.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I think Bencrush has bent that stainless hex, though. He might be able to tell you more.

Yes, put a Hex next to a round of the same dimension and you'll see there is a lot more stock there to bend :)

BTW, I've taken a Huge Shiny to 37 degrees but have yet to move one of the Huge and Grand Hexes I have.

Look's like that will be collecting dust for a while. I also got some square stainless 5/16 also is it just as bad and 3/8 square brass any idea's.

Look's like that will be collecting dust for a while. I also got some square stainless 5/16 also is it just as bad and 3/8 square brass any idea's.

That's only the new hexes btw :) I've never tried one but the old hexes were apparently easier. The 5/16 ss sq will not be much better, over 700lbs I think for that lot. The brass sq might be doable, that sounds like a neat idea actually! I'd love to see people start up bending some sq brass :)

It depends if it's 304 or 303. The 303, Aaron ahs yet to bend, although I think he's capable of it he failed on his last attempt, about 650 at 7", not sure of the exact amount. For 304, it was about 485 at 7" (or in that area) so it's be around an easy hex at the kink and a little harder than a Golden at the crush.

That's only the new hexes btw :) I've never tried one but the old hexes were apparently easier. The 5/16 ss sq will not be much better, over 700lbs I think for that lot. The brass sq might be doable, that sounds like a neat idea actually! I'd love to see people start up bending some sq brass :)

I did a Golden 2 week's ago I will cut a piece and give it a shoot this weekend and let you know how it bend's if I can. :D

It depends if it's 304 or 303. The 303, Aaron ahs yet to bend, although I think he's capable of it he failed on his last attempt, about 650 at 7", not sure of the exact amount. For 304, it was about 485 at 7" (or in that area) so it's be around an easy hex at the kink and a little harder than a Golden at the crush.

So Derek is the Hex 304 about the same as 304 round that Ben told me was around 485 I bent this weekend it was 7''.

So Derek is the Hex 304 about the same as 304 round that Ben told me was around 485 I bent this weekend it was 7''.

Aaron's was, but not all are and I'd say this would be considerably harder due to the 20 pound difference and the fact it's hex as well.

And btw, no offense but I doubt the 3/8" Square brass will go down, if I had to estimate that'd probably be in the 600-700 range at 7".

Aaron's was, but not all are and I'd say this would be considerably harder due to the 20 pound difference and the fact it's hex as well.

And btw, no offense but I doubt the 3/8" Square brass will go down, if I had to estimate that'd probably be in the 600-700 range at 7".

So are you saying save it for later Derek HAHAHAHA! :D

I'm withholding judgement on the 3/8 square brass until I hear a report, but square is enough harder geometrically that there are 69 certified bastards (me being most recent :cool) and zero certs on the 5/16 square CRS.

Edited by The Writer

I think Bencrush has bent that stainless hex, though. He might be able to tell you more.

I've bent a lot of the 5/16" Stainless-Hex-304, and only 2 pieces of the 5/16"X7" Stainless-Hex-303. The latter was only done in 2 sessions. It's got to rank right up there with an easy KOAB. Especially on the crush, because I'm no stranger to moving KOABs when they're at 2.5" or so...I was a stranger to moving the nasty Stainless-Hex-303 though for a while longer than my first KOAB mini move.

Well I did'nt look close enough at the Brass it's 5/16 square not 3/8 I feel dumb. I will try some of this stuff Saturday or Sunday.

Well if it's 5/16" square you might want to cut it down, that'd probably be a lot easier than the 3/8" round.

Ben, as I said earlier I think Aaron's 303 Stainless Hex was like 660ish plus the fact it has a nasty stainless crush.

Well if it's 5/16" square you might want to cut it down, that'd probably be a lot easier than the 3/8" round.

Ben, as I said earlier I think Aaron's 303 Stainless Hex was like 660ish plus the fact it has a nasty stainless crush.

Thank's Derek I might try a 5 1/2 on the Brass or 6 I will see on the warmup. I also have some 1/4 square stainless I am going to play with.

Thank's Derek I might try a 5 1/2 on the Brass or 6 I will see on the warmup. I also have some 1/4 square stainless I am going to play with.

Ok Jason let us know how it goes and what you think of the stock.

Right on Derek. I still think mine probably rated right around there. I never did a KOAB, but Aaron probably remembers when I told him about doing a 7" Edgin taped to 1/4"X7" CRS. That's somewhere in Mister Roger's bending neighborhood.

Right on Derek. I still think mine probably rated right around there. I never did a KOAB, but Aaron probably remembers when I told him about doing a 7" Edgin taped to 1/4"X7" CRS. That's somewhere in Mister Roger's bending neighborhood.

That was freaking sick Ben. Yes, to finish off one of those 7x5/16 SS hex 303's is still on my to do list. Never seem to try one when I'm strong. Always some other cert I'm chasing. btw they are pretty nasty. the 304s though are not bad. I've done a 5.5" of one of those.

- Aaron

Ben, the 5/16 ss hex maximus sent you was it 304? How do you rate it? By experience how many pound it needs to bend?

Thanks

Edited by Alawadhi

Ben, the 5/16 ss hex maximus sent you was it 304? How do you rate it? By experience how many pound it needs to bend?

Thanks

That was some really smooth stock he sent me. I'd say it's 304 or the equivalent. Not a very hard bend. Felt easier than the Shiny all the way through. Maybe a 485, but one of those that of course ramps up on the crushdown. I did a 5.5" version of that Stainless Hex looooong before I was doing a Huge Shiny or Grand Shiny.