2008 March - Arnold Classic - climber511

climber511

Some Arnold impressions

Professional Body Builders – a very strange world they live in – one I don’t even want to visit, let alone live in. Both men and women.

Professional Strongmen – pretty much born I think – the smallest man on the stage was I think 310# and none of them were what I call fat. Most men in the world simply don’t have the ability to become that large and strong – with any amount of drugs, these guys just picked their parents much better than the rest of us! The weights at the Arnold Strongman are soooo heavy – I’m surprised that these guys, as truly blessed as they are, can hold up to it. I have to wonder what these guys are going to feel like at my age. They will certainly pay a price I think for the strength feats they do. That said, it’s hard not to admire and envy that kind of ability.

Power Lifters – a pleasant change this year – a different federation was at the Arnold and some of these people actually looked like human beings. The music was much lower, no show girls, nothing like the production of the last few years. I can’t keep up with the federations in PL any more and have no idea what all is different in this one but I liked this better. Still some very strong people there.

Olympic Lifting – this year it was the Nationals at the Arnold so the quality of lifting was higher in general than in years past. But on the other hand, it was no longer a meet of the people who lift simply because they love it – no kids – no Masters – no locals. I kind of missed that aspect. I do have to say these young men and women are certainly more “normal” and healthier looking than most of the strength athletes you see at the Arnold. Being Nationals, they are also drug tested.

The crowd and the “Expo” – every year I say “never again” will I fight the crowd in the Expo hall but every year, I find myself back in there, maybe for the same reason we all stop and look at a car wreck along the road. Most of the booths are supplement companies of one sort or another – there must be an amazing amount of profit in them. Some pro BB (freak) sits there telling young kids (and guys old enough they should know better) that a bottle of this stuff will add 20# of pure muscle in 3 weeks or some such nonsense, and of course the kids hang on every word and shell out their allowance for it. A lot of equipment booths, mostly just wrinkles on old themes but now and then something new or at least worth while. Some of them have “challenges” which are pretty fun to try – although I always fare rather badly I’m afraid – the results on these challenges would yield some very interesting data on the condition of the people willing to try them. I have to wonder what is going on with most of the people who work all these booths, their skin is seriously nasty looking – I don’t know what it is but it’s not a good thing. And no it’s not the lighting! I do enjoy seeing old friends and usually make a few new ones there. Had a nice visit with Mr. Strossen Thursday evening while setting up the Olympic Lifting venue – interesting as usual - he has a large viewpoint on the world of strength from all his travels.

Anyway, I survived another year at the Arnold – Never Again? Well…………..

Climber, thanks for the insightful write-up and interesting observations.

Did you try the GNC grip gauntlet?

Climber, thanks for the insightful write-up and interesting observations.

Did you try the GNC grip gauntlet?

Sure I try it every year -

COC 2.5 closed

Tried the #3 - very very close

Blob - glued to the floor

RT - same glue hehe

I have to do something to get a free Tee Shirt!

Had a nice visit with Mr. Strossen Thursday evening while setting up the Olympic Lifting venue –/quote]

Four things:

1. That is Dr. Strossen to you.

2. Did they change the GNC Grip Gauntlet from a 2 to a 2.5?

3. Did you see Tex there?

4. Did you see my brother there?

They moved itup from a 2 to a 2.5 after the first day they had like 5 or 6 people get all 3. They moved the RT up to 197 as well. Wade over hand tossed the blob when we were over there. That is just plain wrong with that blob!

Four things:

1. That is Dr. Strossen to you.

2. Did they change the GNC Grip Gauntlet from a 2 to a 2.5?

3. Did you see Tex there?

4. Did you see my brother there?

1. I actually call him Randy, not that he didn't earn his Dr. but at one point a few years ago, he said to call him Randy so I do - he took my picture drinking coffee Thursday during a break in the set up process at the Olympic lifting - that was the most impressive thing I did all weekend :D . I mostly lived on it during the 15 hour set up process that day.

2. It was a 2.5 - it was a 2 last year so I guess they changed it. I read somewhere they were going to change it after the LA show.

3. I saw Tex early on with Richard, Bert and Cyclops, then again as he was pressing the big KB at the American KB Site in the Expo hall - that is one big strong fellow. I missed him at the GNC Challenge but heard he did everything with ease - no real surprise there.

4. John was one of the first people I saw at the Olympic WL venue - we had a nice visit - a really nice guy.

My feat for the weekend was spotting John before he saw me and avoiding getting my picture taken.

Pretty much have the same insite as Chris. Definitely a freak show but not all some really good people to just have to look harder all the oiled down bodies make a glare :cool . Hit the regular boothes we like to hit played with that monster KB and talked with Andrew who is as strong as usual. Do need to mention I watched my brother clean and press that bell for a tie with the number Tex did also wacthed him snatch it and bottoms up the 40K way to go Nick. Had a good time especially at Nick's Friday night hit some stuff haven't been able to get lately.So on to next year like Chris siad I'll probaly be there for the wreckto :D .Seriously thinking I should go Friday Afternoon and try Wade's blob before I spend a night breaking myself I'm going to get that blob someday if it kills me.Oh ya tryed one of the stones at Slater's booth and scared eveyone around me with my awful technique wish Nick would of got a pick of the faces.

Nice write-up Chris - thanks. :) I doubt I would ever attend such an event but it's interesting to hear about it.

Guess I could throw in my 2 cents.....As for the crowd, you guys gotta try to get there when it opens on Friday morning. I managed that for the first time this year and the crowd was alot easier to navigate! The Pro bodybuilders are entertaining to look at but I can't imagine the price they pay with their health. I did get to meet Richard Sorin and Big Tex. Both were very approachable and seemed to enjoy speaking to everyone. I think Dr. Strossen got a pic. of Mr. Sorin and me. I was in mid-sentence! Hmmm, maybe it didn't turn out . I did get to see Tex perform the Grip Gauntlet with ease! Also saw him lift the blob by the face; just reached down and plucked it like a daisy. Anyway, it was fun. I'll probably do it again next year.

Tim

Edited by TimK

Wonder how I got the emoticon in the top bar????????

I always enjoy the Arnold. The insane frreaks are a big reason I go. I don't want to do the same things to my body as the freaks but I am glad they do.

Another reason I love the Arnold is all of the events that you can watch. I have never been to a weightlifting contest before a couple of years ago at the Arnold. Not my cup of tea as far as actually competing in one but I certainly enjoyed seeing it. I liked seeing the table tennis and all of the equipment for sale in that area. It is interesting to see stuff other than walmart ping pong paddles. I also watched some ju jitsu which I thouroughly enjoyed.

This year I took my 9 year old son and one of the things I did was try to point out all of the guys from the Pumping Iron movie (it is a tradition for me to watch it at least once the week before the AC).

One of my favorite things to do in the expo hall is check out any new equipment that might be out or try out equipment that I have never tried before. This year I tried out a glute ham bench. I really liked it and now I am going to build one for myself. I also tried out a vibrating lifting platform. It was very strange and expensive ($8000). However if I hit the lotery I will definitely have one or two. I also got to see how it works and I could not make one with my resources.

Plus it is fun to try to pick out old celebrities of the iron game walking around in the crowd. There are lots of them and they look like regular guys now.

One other thing is getting to see some folks I know from here. I didn't spend a lot of time with them but it is still nice to see some faces you recognize and touch base.

I had a blast, I always do. I will certainly be going back again and again.

Mike