Pr For A Newbie

rniel

I have been at this bending thing for only about 5 weeks.

Hit it very hard and after this last 3 days rest I bent a 5/16" 5" long Grade 2 bolt. Nice pr for me. Nothing special though. Anyone know what I should be moving up to next?

I was going to get some 1/4" round HRS cut to 6" pieces maybe.

If your grade 2 is like the one I have. Then you will cert on a huge bastard. Maybe even a grand! Not kidding

If your grade 2 is like the one I have. Then you will cert on a huge bastard. Maybe even a grand! Not kidding

Thanks. Now just got to figure out what a huge bastard is. I got my bolt at lowe's, I went to the bastard website but I didn't know if I could get some of those bastard nails without buying the whole kit or not.

I have been at this bending thing for only about 5 weeks.

Hit it very hard and after this last 3 days rest I bent a 5/16" 5" long Grade 2 bolt. Nice pr for me. Nothing special though. Anyone know what I should be moving up to next?

I was going to get some 1/4" round HRS cut to 6" pieces maybe.

Are you sure you meant 5/16" and not 3/16"?

Just your suggestion of using 1/4" HRS as a progression seems a little odd?

Thanks. Now just got to figure out what a huge bastard is. I got my bolt at lowe's, I went to the bastard website but I didn't know if I could get some of those bastard nails without buying the whole kit or not.

Yes you can. Scroll all the way down the bending bag section and you'll find you can "stock up" :D on all the extra stock you need. Go ahead and get yourself some 5/16x7 and some 5/16x6 from FBBC because you should be able to take them down pretty far, if not all the way. I have finished off a huge bastard and some 304 stainless 5/16x7 and I have yet to finish a 5/16x5" G2!

Are you sure that was 5/16" diameter? Not trying to cast doubts, but that is an amazing accomplishment in my book. What else have you bent? If you are doing 5"x5/16" I agree you shouldn't bother with the 1/4" HRS and move on to 5/16" CRS.

I think it was, but I might be wrong. I had bought some 1/4 grade 2 and it was like butter to bend so I went one higher. I'm going to drop by lowe's since it's next to my house and make sure that is what it is. I have the bent up bolt with me to compare. I'll check back tomorrow.

Are you sure that was 5/16" diameter? Not trying to cast doubts, but that is an amazing accomplishment in my book. What else have you bent? If you are doing 5"x5/16" I agree you shouldn't bother with the 1/4" HRS and move on to 5/16" CRS.

I am going off this chart http://home.insight.rr.com/strongman/yields2.html

It says a 6 inch 5/16 Grade 2 Carriage Bolt (cut from 8 in. bolt) is about 220lbs. so I didn't think it was that good.

Edited by rniel

I think it was, but I might be wrong. I had bought some 1/4 grade 2 and it was like butter to bend so I went one higher. I'm going to drop by lowe's since it's next to my house and make sure that is what it is. I have the bent up bolt with me to compare. I'll check back tomorrow.

I am going off this chart http://home.insight.rr.com/strongman/yields2.html

It says a 6 inch 5/16 Grade 2 Carriage Bolt (cut from 8 in. bolt) is about 220lbs. so I didn't think it was that good.

I think there might be some confusion regarding the terminology. I'm sure others can say it better, but what we call "bolts" are actually "hex fasteners" according to my local hardware store, and have threads only at the very end. "Carriage Bolts" typically have threads the whole way up and are easier to bend. I found the bolt you are referring to on the chart, and it is rated below a 6.5" Yellow Nail. I have bent numerous 6"x5/16" hex fasteners and they are close to a Red Nail as far as kinking difficulty (way at the bottom of your chart).

So I guess my advice would be to buy the beginner's bag from FBBC and see what you can do. Well worth it.

Yea the threaded 5/16 carriage bolt at lowes are easy.Ive bend the 4 inch ones. Definetly big difference from the regular 5/16 bolts.From what i remember the 4 inch 5/16 carriage is comparable to a 6 inch 5/16 standard G2.......

Yeah I went to lowe's it is a 5/16, threaded all the way through though. It's not that great, but I'm pretty happy with it because compared to what I started with i've made some nice improvements in a short time. I'll post a video when I can get up to something big.

Yea the threaded 5/16 carriage bolt at lowes are easy.Ive bend the 4 inch ones. Definetly big difference from the regular 5/16 bolts.From what i remember the 4 inch 5/16 carriage is comparable to a 6 inch 5/16 standard G2.......

Yeah I went to lowe's it is a 5/16, threaded all the way through though. It's not that great, but I'm pretty happy with it because compared to what I started with i've made some nice improvements in a short time. I'll post a video when I can get up to something big.

I, for one, love watching bending videos and it doesn't need to be anything 'big' to entertain me.

I, for one, love watching bending videos and it doesn't need to be anything 'big' to entertain me.

Cool, I will have to try and get my 3/16" crs x 3" on video. Can't get the 2.5" yet. If a 6.5" x 5/16" crs is a big bastard is that a "little bugger"?

Edited by timiacobucci

The 5 inch is def a good accomplishment for a newbie.Have you tried to 60ds from lowes? There the hardest ones i ever came across...........

The 5 inch is def a good accomplishment for a newbie.Have you tried to 60ds from lowes? There the hardest ones i ever came across...........

Look through the boxes at Lowes. My local Lowes had 2 boxes of 60d's; one was the easy Griprites, and the other was these awesome Sivaco nails. Very easy to tell apart because they're thicker in the shaft and the head. Almost 5/16'' thick, and usually are right around 300-340ish in lbs. I love em'! They make a good stepping stone after you've mastered the easier Griprites.

Look through the boxes at Lowes. My local Lowes had 2 boxes of 60d's; one was the easy Griprites, and the other was these awesome Sivaco nails. Very easy to tell apart because they're thicker in the shaft and the head. Almost 5/16'' thick, and usually are right around 300-340ish in lbs. I love em'! They make a good stepping stone after you've mastered the easier Griprites.

Yeah the ones at my Lowes have the real thick heads.They have to be one of the toughest 60ds out there !!

Congrats on the bends keep it up and you will not have a problem chooseing stock the problem will be finding harder stuff :D

My lowes must suck because I couldn't find any nails above a 20D. I did find a 60D at Home Depot on sale for 8 cents each, but it looks really intimidating to me. I got some 40D nails that I still cannot bend so I'll work up to those first I guess.

There must be huge variances in these nails because the 20D galvanized nails at lowes I got are very easy, but got some at a western store that said 20D and they are much thicker and much tougher to bend.

I'm making my own chart so I can at least compare between different stuff I have a loading pin with an eyelet that I put he nail through load up weights and pick it up until the nail bends, then I take note of that. I don't know if it's accurate at all, but it will tell me if one nail is tougher than another.

Edited by rniel

I'll save you some work!! :D Here is an awesome chart if you're just getting into bending:

Strongman's Chart

Also, at the top of this forum, there is a sticky entitled "calbrated fat bastard stocks and a couple more". Tons of good stuff in there also!!

My lowes must suck because I couldn't find any nails above a 20D. I did find a 60D at Home Depot on sale for 8 cents each, but it looks really intimidating to me. I got some 40D nails that I still cannot bend so I'll work up to those first I guess.

There must be huge variances in these nails because the 20D galvanized nails at lowes I got are very easy, but got some at a western store that said 20D and they are much thicker and much tougher to bend.

I'm making my own chart so I can at least compare between different stuff I have a loading pin with an eyelet that I put he nail through load up weights and pick it up until the nail bends, then I take note of that. I don't know if it's accurate at all, but it will tell me if one nail is tougher than another.

Edited by Foxman

I have seen those charts, but they don't have the nails that I buy from D&B supply or hardware stores around my area. They are helpful somewhat though for the round HRS and things like that.

I'll save you some work!! :D Here is an awesome chart if you're just getting into bending:

Strongman's Chart

Also, at the top of this forum, there is a sticky entitled "calbrated fat bastard stocks and a couple more". Tons of good stuff in there also!!

My advice would be to pick up some 1/4 HRS steel rod from Fastenal, Hardware store, or a metal supplier(cheaper), and bend that instead of the 30 and 40d nails. That way, you will be bending stuff that guys on here are more familiar with, and can give you more informed advice on the progression and toughness of a piece in question. If you find that the HRS is too easy, get some CRS instead. Bend it till it's easy, then cut it shorter. No need to go shorter than 4''. Once you've mastered that, hit up the 60d's! Try out lots of different brands. Cut those shorter as well. Then on to 1/4 square. bend till easy, then cut shorter. Once you get to a 6'' 1/4 square CRS, you're close to bastard level. There's nothing wrong with bending 30 annd 40d nails, but it's just that very few people bend those kind of nails, and with the 1/4'' stock progression, as you get stronger, you'll be working with the same lengths of stock, just the diameter and material will eventually change. :D

I just bought some 1/4" HRS this morning. Warmed up and gave it a try with 6" piece and dammit it wouldn't budge. I think I am having a bad day though. I feel I can do this when I'm feeling strong.

My advice would be to pick up some 1/4 HRS steel rod from Fastenal, Hardware store, or a metal supplier(cheaper), and bend that instead of the 30 and 40d nails. That way, you will be bending stuff that guys on here are more familiar with, and can give you more informed advice on the progression and toughness of a piece in question. If you find that the HRS is too easy, get some CRS instead. Bend it till it's easy, then cut it shorter. No need to go shorter than 4''. Once you've mastered that, hit up the 60d's! Try out lots of different brands. Cut those shorter as well. Then on to 1/4 square. bend till easy, then cut shorter. Once you get to a 6'' 1/4 square CRS, you're close to bastard level. There's nothing wrong with bending 30 annd 40d nails, but it's just that very few people bend those kind of nails, and with the 1/4'' stock progression, as you get stronger, you'll be working with the same lengths of stock, just the diameter and material will eventually change. :D

Try a 7'' piece. :D

You're probably strong enough to kink the HRS now. Just practice getting the form right with easier stuff, then kill it. There is plenty of video on youtube if you need help with form (or just to get fired up, like me).

Thanks I think I need to rest for a while. I'm going to take a week off and start this up again cause I'm getting pain in my hands after a workout that lasts for hours. I've been dunking them in a bucket of ice for as long as I can stand it so the pain stops. I hope my hands start to adjust to this. I did kink that 1/4" HRS metal, but couldn't get a full bend. Next time I'll start with the kinked piece I'm sure I'll get it.

You're probably strong enough to kink the HRS now. Just practice getting the form right with easier stuff, then kill it. There is plenty of video on youtube if you need help with form (or just to get fired up, like me).