Broken G5 Threads...

airdevil

Had something weird happen today. I was going for the 5" G5 which would have been a PR for me. The short stuff is really hard for me to grasp with big hands... 8 1/4". I got the bolt to 90 degrees and gave it another hit. The bolt snapped where the threads me the solid part of the bolt. Has anyone else ever had this happen? It was a 5" g5 that came with the advanved FBBC bag. I heard the sound and felt it give, what a surprise!

In another news, I got some 5/16" 303 Stainless from timiacobucci... waiting on my next FBBC shipment... and cut it to 7". Gave the fake shiny a go

and barely wobbled it. Definitly harder on the kink than its magnetic counterpart. I can't even imagine the crush...

Happy training...

That's weird. I've never heard about 1/4 G5 breaking. It has been known to happen on the 5/16 version. But the threads of that is much longer than on 1/4. But I have noticed that when a really short G5 bends freakishly off center that the threads bent a bit.

Not had any threads break but had a bolt bend on the threads on one of Brendans freaky G5s: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6391

Fun stuff, did you try anything else? You could always cut the threaded part off to make it 5" to try and avoid that. I don't remeber how long the threaded portion of that bolt is though.

On the stainless front I managed to completely bend an 8" peice from kink to crush. Took 2 minutes to get it to 3" then 2 days to get under 2". The 7" and 6" will be a little while coming I think.

I also got some more 6" and 5.5" x 5/16" g2 bolts. The 6" ones have NY and 307A forged on them and a big BJC over that in black print, they are crazy easy. Like easier than a g8 easy.

The 5.5" say BGG. They are insane! I cannot even wobble one with double pads. I am sure I can get the 6" in IM pads. It seriously feels like it might be a g5 or something weird because 1/2" cannot make that much of a difference.

I haven't tried a 5.5" g2, but I know I can't even warp a 5" of the same brand I can bend easily at 6"

I haven't tried a 5.5" g2, but I know I can't even warp a 5" of the same brand I can bend easily at 6"

I've bent over 200 Grade 5 bolts in the last year and i have never ever seen one break. Maybe a defective batch? You didnt alter it did you? They are not hardened enough to snap (in one bend, not doubled over), they will always bend.

I've bent over 200 Grade 5 bolts in the last year and i have never ever seen one break. Maybe a defective batch? You didnt alter it did you? They are not hardened enough to snap (in one bend, not doubled over), they will always bend.

I'll bet there was some sort of defect... or it just happens to be weaker in the threads, which make sense. I seem to make a fulcrum between my pinky and the base of my palm when I am bending around 70-90 degrees... This would put the proper pressure around the threaded area. Who knows, I'll bend a few more and see what happens. It still makes me feel pretty badass!!!

Happy bending!

I've had a couple of the 4" g5s snap the threads off. Also almost had it happen on edgins when I first started working on those. I think it usually from holding too far out. After I started choking up on the bolt a bit more I stopped getting so much thread deflection. Do you hold way out on the ends in a pistol grip?

- Aaron

I've had a couple of the 4" g5s snap the threads off. Also almost had it happen on edgins when I first started working on those. I think it usually from holding too far out. After I started choking up on the bolt a bit more I stopped getting so much thread deflection. Do you hold way out on the ends in a pistol grip?

- Aaron

Yea.. I find my self gripper further out on shorter stuff as it is harder to get a grip. Guess its time to stop whining and get stronger!