Farmer's Walk

thefight

I think both within reason. I mean a 20# Farmers walk for ten min isn't going to help but using a heavy (for you) weight and working both the distance and time up to a min or so will make you stronger I think. It depends what you're trying to do I guess if that's the "best" way to get there.

I know a guy who uses farmers walk during highland games season to keep his strength. I think he actually uses a 500# frame carry. It helps him keep muscle mass but, still concentrate on speed.

brent

I think both within reason. I mean a 20# Farmers walk for ten min isn't going to help but using a heavy (for you) weight and working both the distance and time up to a min or so will make you stronger I think. It depends what you're trying to do I guess if that's the "best" way to get there.

So you recommend for me to increase the weight once I get above a minute or so if I'm working more towards strength?

Working FW up to one minute will build your endurance mostly. If you are unexperienced with FW i would suggest lighter weights for longer distance, and time to get your whole body used to it first. This will stabilize your midsection in a better way than heavy weights for shorter distance in the beginning. Later on when your hips, midsection, grip and traps are getting used to the exercise you can load up and shorten the time/ distance to build more max strenght. If you take the time to do this, my own experience is that this is an exellent core workout giving a good base for several other strongman events.

Good luck and Stay Strong! :cool