Another 12" Spike Bend

matthcarl

You made that look easy. Now I'll have to try it and make a fool of myself.

Inspired by Bossie 308 I did bend one of the easier 12" spikes. And as promised, I do make a fool of myself. The video isn't pretty, but I get it done in the end. It was made a tad harder by a skin tear on my right palm, so I had to let the left do most of the driving. That and the fact that I had no clue what I was doing.

Anyway...Spikebending

Nice work Matt,Looked good to me. :rock

Good fight man. Is that your first braced bend? Because that is a seriously hard spike to start with and a great acomplishment. I know it feels akward at first and not real powerful but I think the form and strength gains come quicker than unbraced even if you stick with it a for a bit.

I also find it helps a ton to have a hand on both ends at all times. I know Aaron did it the way you did too but that bend didn't seem like much of a challenge for him and I don't think it was a real serious bend. Plus when something has a point on one side like that I really don't think it's a good idea to just try and pile drive it down into your leg like that. As with the between the legs style you really need to try and bend it the same as unbraced with your hands and wrists and then use the assistance force of your body to guide into the bend through your hands.

And also I use my whole body, it is braced bending so brace anywhere and everywhere you can. I don't just tricep push down like a dip wobbling out to the side of my body (well I did when I started) I brace my upper hand against my shoulder or chest or side depending on the size of the bar and the amount it has already been bent and do like a side crunch to push my whole body down into my hand and arm into the steel. I seriously have pressure marks and bruises on the side of my chest sometimes after a max braced hip crush like that 7/16" stainless.

Different people have different strengths so experiment with positions by all means but I would strongly reccomend trying to bend it first and then putting the braced force into the bend as assistance.

Keep at it man I love more people doing the braced stuff, you should try some long bars too if you liked that.

Thanks, Tim, you're advice is definitely welcome. I've kinked a few spikes before, but this is the first one I finished. I need to learn by experience, and I think I can do better next time.

Matt

Congrats on the spike and what TIM says use the whole upper body as one unit use the shoulder/upper chest to bare down over the wrist and this also stops the wrist spinning out when the arm/elbow drifts out which invites injury.

Yeah Matt, don't try to imitate Aaron, he can do psychotic things most of us don't even want to imagine with wrists of solid steel (or so it seems) :D

Great bend man, once you get the technique you'll be damn good at this stuff.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I'm still not sure what I did that was like Aaron's bend. I just screwed around until something worked. Braced bending still just feels wrong to me.