My Hands Are Slow

Chris Mathison

I put it best in an email to a friend. Heres the copy-past

Im on the gripboard for advice. My problem now is that my gripper training has consisted entirely of heavy singles, negatives, bracer closes and overcrushes. Which has worked EXTREMELY well but left me with a very slow hydraulic like close(check my newest vid, especially the HG350 close). So Im looking for ideas on stimulating some fast twitch hand growth(aside from obvious fast closes on a lighter gripper). I think that will help me crank that last 1/4" of the 3.5 and beyond.

Im abosuletly sure this has been discussed before and I did search for a thread on it and couldnt find one. So if anyone has any insight or link to a discussion please help.

thanks

Edited by Chris Mathison

Do sets of 3-5 with a gripper that is medium for you, if you are going for the 3.5 use a 2.5 or a 3 would be better, and treat every rep as a single. Set it, snap it shut, let it open, set it, snap it shut, open, etc. I would stay in the 3 rep range, 3 sets 3 closes as fast as possible.

Heath's better at this shit than I am, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I always like to warm up with fast reps. I take a gripper around a #2 give or take, and do doubles untill I get pretty fast.

Maybe helps with speed (my hunch is it does) maybe not, regardless it is a decent way for me to warm up.

Chris, I was responding to you email when I saw this thread so I will just put my thoughts in here. Heath said basically what I was going to say.

I, personally, need pretty extensive warm-up sets with grippers (T, #1, etc...) before I can even get decent work in. It's even better if I have done some wrist rolling or thickbar stuff before hand. This has helped the speed of the reps as well and I can't close crap when I feel I am moving slow.

Thannks for the replies. I will have to force myself to work on speed 3-5reps with a 2.5.. Its just not rewarding anymore closing a 2.5 or under so I havent done it in a while.

Matt,

I am the exact opposite. I can pick the 3 up anytime of the day and close it.. slowly.. but it closes. my warmups for my gripper training usually consists of 2 singles on the #2 and then onto the #3.. Probably why I've ended up with this crappy hydraulic close. sometimes it even looks like I stall out but its just slow.. If I do wrist rolls or basically any other grip i seem to blow my max effort crushing load early and I cant even shut the 3. BTW. this summer if we meet at klavetters for some training how do you feel about pulling with me. I see in your youtube account that you like armwrestling.. well so do I. I think you would be a good opponent :rock

and finally how are things coming with the grip comp you were tossing around a while back?

Edited by Chris Mathison

Bob's fast reps on the warm-up theory is also good, my warm-up reps are always as quick as possible.

One thing you may want to remember is that on hard (near maximal) closes it should take you a while to close the gripper. I do not have a force/velocity curve diagram to post but if you look at one, maximal tension and strength is at one end and velocity is at the other. Try flexing and then moving quickly, you have to relax to move quickly. Only on closes that are not requiring maximal or near maximal force should you be able to go quickly.

There are some exceptions to this there is a strength/force phenom where you can explode at maximal force however if you don't complete the movement in that burst you fail because your neromuscular system "puts the brakes on".

If you want to see for yourself try to take a weight that you can snatch easily and intentionally don't finish the snatch...you shouldn't be able to keep it up at the sub lockout position. (There are always abberations to every rule.)

I may be wrong, this is just what I have read, so take it with a wheel barrow of salt.

One thing you may want to remember is that on hard (near maximal) closes it should take you a while to close the gripper. I do not have a force/velocity curve diagram to post but if you look at one, maximal tension and strength is at one end and velocity is at the other. Try flexing and then moving quickly, you have to relax to move quickly. Only on closes that are not requiring maximal or near maximal force should you be able to go quickly.

There are some exceptions to this there is a strength/force phenom where you can explode at maximal force however if you don't complete the movement in that burst you fail because your neromuscular system "puts the brakes on".

If you want to see for yourself try to take a weight that you can snatch easily and intentionally don't finish the snatch...you shouldn't be able to keep it up at the sub lockout position. (There are always abberations to every rule.)

I may be wrong, this is just what I have read, so take it with a wheel barrow of salt.

Hey man you bring up an awesome point.. thanks a bunch. I can close the 2.5 pretty damn quick but 3 and higher go slow.. I think youtube ruins my brain because I see people closing the 3.5 so fast(TEEMU!). thanks again.

That is a valid point. I close even the heavier grippers rather fast but they are still slower compared to my lower closes.

Man...I haven't trained grippers in a long time...

my closes have never been really fast like how Richard Sorin's are, but i like the hydraulic close myself. a lot of my friends who try out my #1 try to explode and crush down to hear the click and then let go, but they can't even get the handles to touch like that, then i close it like a machine for reps and they're like "wow that is pretty crazy control"

Yeah, there is the whole force/velocity curve. "Fast" is always relative.

Snatch is a bad example, you can't stop it midway (if you are good at the snatch) because you drove the weight up with your legs, it would be too heavy for your arms to control.

Some people naturally are more explosive, some are. This is trainable, and of course different people respond differently. WIth the force curve on the grippers, learning to apply strength fast can be a good thing.

In general I think trying to be faster is almost always a good thing even if the gripper forces you to be slow.

agreed. I just tend to get too comfortable with a particular gripper and break the first rule of grippers which is squeeze with all your might everytime.