Not grip realated

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I no this has nothing to do with grip, But since Roark started the thread about grip feats that you don't belive and I made my statement, he pointed out that the bench press has been aided by bench shirts. ( VERY TRUE )  I just wanted to say that I have been training for a bench contest on Oct 5. Last month I hurt my shoulder/chest and can't bench with a regular grip at all. I have found out that I can do close grips. So I am going to go on and compete and bench close grip. And no, I am not going to wear a shirt. Roark, you motivated me to keep the shirt off then that I am doing close grips. I know this should not be on this board, but I wanted to thank Roark.

Due to sloppy form for years etc I too have had the same problem and found that I also can do close-grip BP as described.

Harlan,

Good luck in your contest.

Years ago I tried this as a wrist exercise:

On a bench, assume the top (finished) bench press

position, but with a grip where both palms are facing

your head (Anthony Clark's style).

Now instead of performing a bench press, simply

allow the hands to arc toward the head (keep arms straight).

Then wrist curl the weight back to the top. It's rough on

the thumbs which carry most of the load. Keep elbows

unbent.

For safety, use the power rack safety rods set just below

the bottom of your arc range, so that if you drop the bar

it settles on the the safety rods and not your head!

Fun for variety, but be ready for onlookers to point out

that you don't know how to perform a bench press

:D

Sure is grip related! I narrowed my grip by 5 to 6'' on the benchpress, and my shoulders have thanked me for it. Also my very narrow grip benchpress poundage is very little less than my normal grip. Good to know that people are not just training their grip.

So have I.  The elbows flare with a wider grip killed my pecs and shoulders over the years. I am paying now.

I've moved it in as well.

And what hurts in a different way, is that after a while you  catch back up to the poundages used with the wider grip, which means you could have gone narrow from day one and maybe never injured your shoulders.

hi harlan, good job not wearing those pieces of ###. today at contests if you do not spend 250 dollars on a triple demin shirt you can not win. One little piece of help still flare your elbows out do not keep them under your forearms good luck :

I bench close grip since the last two years and my shoulders thank me everyday for it. I lift a little less weight but never hurt my shoulders since switching. CGBP, dips and OHP are a killer combination for a big and strong upper body.

Yall don't give powerlifting gear any credit.  Have any of yall ever put on a super tight poly bench shirt?  Talk about a grip workout!  When all my team members are putting on bench shirts, guess who they come to look for?  The guy with the strong fingers, who can pinch up that last little bit and pull it down in the arm pit.  Wanna good forearm pump?  Try rolling up some knee wraps and cranking them on someone as tight as possible.           :)

It's a great tricep builder also and has a better carry over for the standing press.Ibelieve John Davies , Shemansky and Doug Hepburn uesd narrow grip bench to improve the Olympic press.

Best of luck in your comp.

Chris

Dips, CGBP, shoulder press and rowing are all I do now.  Once a week, very low volume and lots a weight.  Making better gains than I ever did w/o the aches and pains.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

As far as just triceip work, I think I like JM press beter than close grip. For those of you that have never tried these,give them a go. Do them just like close grips but stop the bar about 4-5 inches from your chest,pause, and lock out. I have also found that squeezing the bar and actualy trying to bend it ( during benchpress ) keeps me tighter and in my groove beter. Oh, and strongmitts has a point about putting on powerlifting gear. Not a bad workout in itself. This is also a drug tested meet and just a state meet, so I should do ok. After all, I get to compete in the master's class ( 40-45 ) . Also I doubt there will be many in the 319 lb class at my age ,that are drug free.

Just a quick suggestion for those of you having shoulder pain during medium to wide grip benches.

Instead of pressing back towards your head, which puts the stress on the shoulder and causes your elbows to flare out thus taking the stress off of the triceps, try keeping the bar in a straight line.

Take the bar out of the rack, at arms length lower it towards your feet as far as you can without it falling on your belly, then lower it to your upper ab region.  The whole time drive the elbows into the side of the body and squeeze out on the bar like you are trying to pull the bar apart.

One the bar reaches your upper abs, press it out.  Yes out.  Keep it going towards your feet as much as possible as you press up.

You will find this is extremely hard!  And, I would say a 300 lb bencher would struggle with 135 for reps so start light.  But, it fries your triceps and makes them stronger.  Within a couple of months, the elbow flare will be gone along with the shoulder pain!

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Since I am going to be doing it in a contest, I am treating it like I would reg bench. After warm-ups, I am doing 5x3 actual work sets. As far as hand spacing goes, I have my index finger on the start of the knurl. You may have to play with that. If I go any closer it hurts my wrist.

Question:  does anyone here use a thick bar to do their benches?  And if so, what kind of results are you getting?

When I bench (and this may sound odd), I don't do any warm-up... I just go straight to it with what I left off on.  I can do 2 sets of 10 with my bodyweight on the bar.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I have never done flats with a thick bar, But I have done inclines. To tell you the truth, I feel stronger with the thick bar. I know I am not , But I like the way it feels in my hand when I am pushing.

Hey Rick,  today I tried benching in the manner that you described and found it to be an extremely effective exercise.  Thanks for sharing it.

Sybersnott, i always bench with a 2 inch bar and i have had great results through using it.When i now try using a normal bar it feels like a toy.