Knuckles Cracking...

Guest Bonzi

I notice this happening sometimes when I close a gripper, never really knew what to think of it. But hey if its a good thing we'll go with it! However I must ask how is it a good thing?

I've noticed it on gripper closes, too. I don't worry about it, but according to my high school PE teacher (a physical therapist by training) excessive cracking can lead to bone spurs, so I always kind of thought it was a bad thing.

Yeah I assumed that it was something like finger cracking, which is generally thought to be a bad thing...but if it is a bad thing I have no idea on how to get around it.

The only time cracking felt bad was when I did excessively on purpose. It never felt that bad doing it naturally from training, even if I was doing it more than usual. Well, it has hurt from training but only if I attempt something without a warm-up and my hands feel all cold, so I don't know if I can count that as the cracking or not.

The cracking noise is just nitrogen/air pockets being dislodged/popped and circulated back into the bloodstream.

This is a good thing. So when you shake somebody's hand and their knuckles pop, you are doing them a favor. :D

I found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracking_knuckles

A single event is not enough to cause damage to the joint, although there is a hypothesis that prolonged joint stress due to cracking knuckles may eventually lead to a higher risk of joint damage. However, the long-term consequences of this practice have not been studied thoroughly, and the scientific evidence is inconclusive. The common parental advice "cracking your knuckles gives you arthritis" is not supported by any evidence, but habitual knuckle crackers are more likely to have hand swelling and lower grip strength.

ive read that it lowers your grip strength as well, cant remember if it lasts long or just until the fluids (or gasses?) have reached their normail levels in the joint, which i think is under an hour. was a while ago that i read up on this so may not be a 100% accurate :whacked

I was told the cracking sound (in all joints, not just knuckles) is caused by a slightly misplaced tendon snapping back into place. It rubs the bone and can cause spurs according to my former teacher. I have heard about the gas in blood theory, but it sounds like an urban legend. I'll need to see some scientific documentation.

I was told the cracking sound (in all joints, not just knuckles) is caused by a slightly misplaced tendon snapping back into place. It rubs the bone and can cause spurs according to my former teacher. I have heard about the gas in blood theory, but it sounds like an urban legend. I'll need to see some scientific documentation.

...but it turns out I don't know everything...

Cracking joints