Cheat lifting a blob

apdwler

I came up with a way to cheat lift a blob. I think it's helpful in the long run, to get your hands use to the wider width of a heavier blob. However, if you can't lift it, how do you do this.

One way would be to make a specialized device. That seemed like too much work to me. I simply added some "skid guard tread" to a portion of the blob. This is the stuff you use on floors/steps to keep from falling. It make the lift a lot easier, and allows you to train with the wider/heavier blob.

It might also work with sandpaper. This would allow you to use various roughnesses, thus various levels of difficulty. It would need to be glued on or something. The "skid guard" is self stick.

Hope the tip helps someone...

I'll add something that I've done as well.  Simply pick up the blob with which you're working with both hands and slowly release one of the hands.  This is similar to what many have done with plate pinches as well.

It is interesting to make a note of the measurements of the various sized blobs.  A 45 and a 50 have virtually identical measurements (the measurement taken from the top and the slope).  If a person can get a 45 it's only a matter of being able to squeeze five more pounds, as your hand will not have to get any wider to pinch the 50.

BC.

I just got my 80 lb York over the weekend and freed-up a 40 pound blob from it. I was surprized how much more difficult the York shape is than the hex. As of right now the York fourty is a struggle for me with both hands. I hope that once I get the "feel" of it I'll do a little better. If not I will probably try adding some grip aid.

Mike M.

Put some athletic tape on it, then chalk it.  

You'll be surprised how easy it comes up after you do that.

Thanks, Snott. I'll give the tape a try tomorrow (I have a lot of athletic tape and chalk around the house). I am totally stymied by the 40 lb York block. If the tape fails me, I may have to do something truely drastic, like get stronger!

Seriously, this block is just what I was looking for. It should be a really good challenge/project for me. Something to get me excited about pinching again.

Mike M.