Big Bolt Ranking

timiacobucci

I know we don't have calibration data for these pieces but where do you suppose these pieces rank in comparison to one another, given the same length.

1/2" brass, 1/2" hot rolled steel, 7/16" cold rolled steel, 3/8" grade 5 bolt, and 3/8" grade 8.

And has anyone ever found longer big bolts like these? Like 8" – 14" range 3/8" and 7/16" grade 5 or grade 8, or f911 bolts?

I know fbbc has the 10" x 3/8" g2's but I haven't found much anywhere else.

At mcmaster carr I found a few things.

8",9" and 10" x 3/8" g5

8" x 3/8" g8, Tim T wanna give her a go?

allensfasteners.com has

7/16" x 8" f911 :blink It is the only one I have ever found above 7" and most are not longer than 6".

I wish I could find a 14" or 12" x 3/8" f911. Do they just not make long high grade bolts?

Tim T has bent some long 3/8" G5s, not sure what length though, but I think he's bent an 8". I can't really tell you the rankings because I've never tried most of that stuff.

I know we don't have calibration data for these pieces but where do you suppose these pieces rank in comparison to one another, given the same length.

And has anyone ever found longer big bolts like these? Like 8" – 14" range 3/8" and 7/16" grade 5 or grade 8, or f911 bolts?

I know fbbc has the 10" x 3/8" g2's but I haven't found much anywhere else.

I usually go the other way, looking for shorter bolts to bend, but I think I saw some longish 3/8" G8's at a local hardware store...maybe 8". I've also found plenty of long g2's in 3/8" and 1/2". I think some hardware places will special order stuff if you ask.

I usually go the other way, looking for shorter bolts to bend,

I was really meaning for braced bends. I don't think this range of stuff is within 99.9 percent of people's unbraced range. That is why I was looking for longer stuff. To use to work up to shorter stuff. An 8" x 3/8" g5 is no begginer's bend, hell the 10" x 3/8" g2 is not even. Tim T is just a mutant braced bending freak.

I've also found plenty of long g2's in 3/8" and 1/2". I think some hardware places will special order stuff if you ask.

Good advice on asking about a special order I will have to ask about that. What length of those 2 g2's did you find and what store was it?

See what I was thinking was that I can do a 14" x 7/16" crs now and if I could find a 14" x 3/8" g5 and g8 I could compare them directly.

I usually go the other way, looking for shorter bolts to bend,

I was really meaning for braced bends. I don't think this range of stuff is within 99.9 percent of people's unbraced range. That is why I was looking for longer stuff. To use to work up to shorter stuff. An 8" x 3/8" g5 is no begginer's bend, hell the 10" x 3/8" g2 is not even. Tim T is just a mutant braced bending freak.

I've also found plenty of long g2's in 3/8" and 1/2". I think some hardware places will special order stuff if you ask.

Good advice on asking about a special order I will have to ask about that. What length of those 2 g2's did you find and what store was it?

See what I was thinking was that I can do a 14" x 7/16" crs now and if I could find a 14" x 3/8" g5 and g8 I could compare them directly.

Yeah, I don't do much braced bending, so I don't remember the exact bolt sizes for the longer and thicker stuff. I could check if you want to know what size/brands they were. I was at a local place called Allerdice. They do a lot of industrial supply out here, but I don't think you'll find them anywhere else.

Never tried an 8 inch by 3/8 G8, only the G5. The G5 was a painful bend and I really didn't like the spring it had. It wasn't real far off from the 1/2 inch by 8 inch HRS. I've got a bunch of 7/16 CRS but it's been so long since I've braced any I really can't say for sure. I'm guessing it's not far off the 1/2 inch HRS except probably on the crush. I'm betting the 1/2 inch has a much tougher crush.

I was eyeing a mean looking 10 inch by 1/2 inch G5 bolt the other day. It was a flat black (looked like coal) "JH' bolt. I don't think that would be humanly possible but it sure looked mean. Probably be over twice as hard as the 1/2 inch HRS.

Can't say on the brass either.

My guess is this. 3/8 G5 would be noticably easier than the 1/2 inch HRS. The 3/8 G5 and the 7/16 CRS would probably be in the same league depending on the particular batch of CRS. As with the smaller sizes I'm sure that some 7/16 CRS would be tougher than the 1/2 inch. I'm betting the 3/8 G8 would be on par with the 1/2 HRS and may even feel tougher to some braced benders - like myself - because given 2 pieces of steel of equal toughness but different size, the smaller one is usually much more painful. Less contact area = more pain. Factor that in with you need sufficient padding and add the spring to it and it makes it want to flip around really bad if you use the between the thighs crush. I've had it happen and I really thought I broke my fingers once.

The 7/16 inch G2 bolts are fun too. Definate step up from the toughest 80d spikes but probably not quite as hard as the 3/8 G5. Look impressive when bent too.

Later,

Tim