Inverted gripper work

Rick Walker

I am sure this has been discussed here before, but I am wondering about the effectiveness of training the grippers up-side-down.  Does it help?  Has it helped anyone to close bigger grippers?  Does anyone do it on a regular basis?  Can those of you that are COCs close your #3s inverted?

Rick Walker :hehe

I am not sure of the results to be had from inverted gripper training, but I do it anyway. It is harder, so I guess must be like using a slightly tougher gripper. Say a 2 becomes a 2.2. At this time I can close a #2 inverted with either hand. I just tried a 3 this way for the first time and was less than a 1/4'' from a close.

Personally, and this is my personal opinion, I don't know why anyone would want to close it upside down let alone train that way if you are working on the grippers themselves with a goal in mind (like closing a 3).  Again, just my opinion.

I agree with Wannagrip. I do only one rep with a #2 inverted in my routine. Mainly just for the heck of it. Maybe using less fingers with the gripper the correct way up would make more sense.

Very quickly, as I'm on my way out. I have enjoyed using the grippers in an inverted style and feel that they strengthen my index and middle finger over a greater range of motion. I have inverted the #3 and held it for 10 secs, also closed the 520lb SoS gripper and got the #4 to 3/4" inverted. Anyway, it's just another form of training, and if it works, use it! I believe it's also good for armwrestlers, anyway this and more info on Inverting are in 2 articles in Iron Grip.

All for now, David

Hmmm... for me, closing a gripper inverted seems much easier than closing it in the traditional manner.  You've got your two strongest fingers and a big thumb muscle in a far better leveraged position on the gripper, as opposed to the traditional style, where the weaker pinky and ring finger are at the end of the gripper.  I would think that training the gripper inverted would only assist in keeping the pinky and ring fingers lagging behind.

It just seems a bit counterintuitive if the reason for doing them is to improve your strength to close a gripper in the traditional manner.  But I've only closed a gripper inverted a handful of times, so I may not fully understand the benefits, if any.  

BC.

The grippers are poster children for the Principle of Specificity.  You invert it and it's a new ballgame.