How Many Closes Does It Take To "season" A Gripper?

Mitch Kirchner

Ok, I been training very serious the past month on grippers and pony clamps for my thumbs. I have quite a bit a grip training under my belt, but took a about 2 years off. Two years ago I closed my #2 and double filed it and closed it, thats the farthest i ever got with my grip. But after 2 years of no serious grip training just maybe once ever few weeks close my #2 for the hell of it, most my strength kept with me, and now I since I been training my grip hard for a month straight I am stronger than where I left off from 2 years ago. I have to use grippers cuz I'm away from home and grippers you can take anywhere. Well I been doing negatives with my #3 and when I use both hands I close it. I've probably closed it about 50 times now. Just how many closes does it take to season it. I was thinking about 100. I think it's a hard #3 cuz it is a 2005.

What i've heard and noticed, Cocs don't season much. Other brands like RB will season much more.

I think you are just stronger and grippers are same.

For about how many closes gripper need when its fully seasoned, people have been saying about 100 closes. Still i don't think that it needs so many closes.

Edited by Koura

Well, I got it a little past parallel now no settin it. I got a long ways to close it. I'm planing on going in the army soon. My plan is to close it before I leave for basic, possibly cert on it cuz I know in basic I won't beable to train grip. I plan to do basic in sept. so I got enough time to close it i think. I hope. :unsure

Ok, I been training very serious the past month on grippers and pony clamps for my thumbs. I have quite a bit a grip training under my belt, but took a about 2 years off. Two years ago I closed my #2 and double filed it and closed it, thats the farthest i ever got with my grip. But after 2 years of no serious grip training just maybe once ever few weeks close my #2 for the hell of it, most my strength kept with me, and now I since I been training my grip hard for a month straight I am stronger than where I left off from 2 years ago. I have to use grippers cuz I'm away from home and grippers you can take anywhere. Well I been doing negatives with my #3 and when I use both hands I close it. I've probably closed it about 50 times now. Just how many closes does it take to season it. I was thinking about 100. I think it's a hard #3 cuz it is a 2005.

Hey Mitch, I wouldn't worry about the seasoning. It varies by gripper, even within brands. In the scope of actual training, you'll do so many hundreds/thousands of closes on a gripper that all that will matter is "can you close the gripper or not?" Your #3 would be hard because it's hard, not because it's a 2005. The easiest #3 I have ever seen was a 2005. Don't get hung up on seasoning and the difficultly of the gripper. Hopefully, it IS hard and you'll be in much better shape when you finally close it. These are just some thoughts to motivate you to keep on working hard and stay focused on the goal--the handles touching on that nasty gripper! Good luck!

Welcome back, Mitch and good to see that you didn't lose any crush strength. After 50 closes your CoC, if it is not fully seasoned, should be almost fully seasoned, from my experience. I wouldn't expect much change it in from here.

.. neilkaz ..

• 5 weeks later...

I still can't get that #3 of mine shut. It is a bear. I'm back at my normal home, so I been mainly training my grip with my Beef Builders Grip machine, TTK, and the Beef Builders supported wrist roller. Haven't even really trained with the grippers. I'm going heavy on the grip machine up to 230 lbs for my last set. I do that a 15 sec negative. I might only do grip one day a week, and the the wrist shit like wrist roller a few days later. I go hard and heavy when I do it though.