"drop Forge" & Comparison To Cold/hot Rolled

Guest indi

jumping straight into it..never bent before...never tried to bend before. i saw a wrench lying around and it says "drop forge 7/16 and its 6inches in length. i wrapped the wrench in a wash cloth and tried a bend for fun, and it bent slightly...and i really wasnt expecting it to. so i gave it my all and within 30 secs it bent completely in half (the sides are just over half an inch away from touching). so i had a few Q's and figured this would be the best place to ask :

how good/(or even bad) of a bend is this for a noob to bending?

what does "drop forge" mean? (is it generally easier to bend drop forge than compared to cold/hot rolled of the same length/thickness? the same? harder?)

any links or explaanations would be appreciated. thanks alot :D

(yes, very happy over his 1st bend :D )

That is a good starter bend man!!! You could go to a hardware store and get one of the 5 wrench sets and see how far you get through them. Try some 6-8" Champion or craftsman crescent wrenches too.

Nice bend! Really depends on the wrench. I've had some that were as you describe and made in India that are drop forged garbage and my 7 year old braced bent them. I've had some chinese ones that were as you describe and it was an extremely tough bend.

Drop forged is just a method of forming the metal. Drop forging will typically make the said piece of metal stronger just as cold-rolling will.

The companions are a great suggestion although I just got back from sears and the new batch of 8 inch companions are seriously thick. Haven't tried one yet but they look serious. As for the craftsmans, good luck on that one.

The craftsman tappet open end wrenches are a great set to get because you have a whole progression. Also, if braced bending is your aspiration, then spikes are great to train with and bend.

Great job and welcome!

Tim