Weaver Stick Video?

twig

Can anyone post a vid of the weaver stick discipline being done with good form? I've read the descriptions, but I've never seen it done.

Needs to be levered more than that but otherwise ok. It is best started from a position lower than parallel, then moved through that to a few degrees above before being lowered back under control. I'll see if I can put something together soon.

Cheers, Paul, but that link doesn't work for me.
I'll see if I can put something together soon.
Cheers, Steve...er...if you do, can you make sure it isn't windows media player, cos they've recently discovered mine's a copy and won't let me watch it until they've got a pound of flesh!

Cheers, Steve...er...if you do, can you make sure it isn't windows media player, cos they've recently discovered mine's a copy and won't let me watch it until they've got a pound of flesh!

use this, it's better than windows media player, and it's freeware.

EDIT: FYI, I downloaded the Weaver Stick file, and the VLC Media player plays it correctly.

Edited by odin

Wasn't that a good lift Steve? I thought the rules said you had to raise the stick to parallel.

Iy looks parallel from start to finish - so no levering at all.

Cheers, Paul, but that link doesn't work for me.
I'll see if I can put something together soon.

Use another viewer to watch wmv files.

Having gone over the rules a few times, specifically the parallel lifting portion and then the arm against the body section then watched the video several times while talking it over with David it IS a good lift (my only excuse is that it has been ages since I did them). :blush

Having gone over the rules a few times, specifically the parallel lifting portion and then the arm against the body section then watched the video several times while talking it over with David it IS a good lift (my only excuse is that it has been ages since I did them). :blush

ok steve its time for a good rundown on this lift 1. length of stick 2. diameter and 3. whats the best materal to use and what your saying is its best to start about one inch below parallel and go one inch or more above for a good lift and leaning forward is ok and whats a good weight better weight and best weight to strive for thanks

Maybe (probably) I'm doing something wrong, for I am Luddite, but I still can't see it!

What does Luddite mean?

ok steve its time for a good rundown on this lift 1. length of stick 2. diameter and 3. whats the best materal to use and what your saying is its best to start about one inch below parallel and go one inch or more above for a good lift and leaning forward is ok and whats a good weight better weight and best weight to strive for thanks

I'm really curious as to these things as well Steve. Thanks for any help, I don't know ANYTHING about this lift :blush

Hey... that's me :)

I took this video when I was preparing for an aussie grip comp that never happened.

I'll tell ya, every bit of weight makes such a big difference with this lift!

As far as materials go, I did notice how much the broomstick I was using was bending when I was doing these... seems these would be better done with something more rigid.

From the USAWA site:

F12. Left and Right Hand Weaver Stick Lift

Stick dimentions: 42 inches long. At one end, place a notch 1/2 inch from end. The weight will be placed in notch. Thirty six (36) inches from center of notch, mark a line on stick. This will be the foremost position of the hand. Place some sort of bracket (angle brackets will work )at this point, leaving 5 1/2 inches for the gripping surface. The gripping surface may be taped, for thickness, with non-stick tape.

Place the stick on a surface, even with the lifter's hand when hanging straight down. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. The stick must be lifted straight up from the lifting surface, with no rocking of the stick prior to lifting. The lifting hand and arm must remain free of the body, and the heel of the hand must remain on the top of the stick. If the hand twists around the stick, the lift is not allowed. The entire weight must be free of the surface and under control. The lift ends on command.

The lift may also be made by reversing the grip and grasping the stick with the little finger towards the weight, instead of the thumb towards the weight. The body may be bent during this method of lift.

For the lift to the front, 5 pounds is not bad, 6 is getting good, 7 is pretty damn good, 8 is awesome.

Thanks Bob!! What kind of a stick would be good? Dowel rod or something of that sort? Or would that not be strong enough?

Clearly I'm not Bob...

But I use an old wooden flag pole that I recycled and made into a weaver stick, so I'm pretty sure a dowel would work. An old broom stick (if long enough) would probably work well also.

:bow to the mighty record setter on this event by the way. My wrist throbs in his honor every time I think about that... (wasn't it something like 20-22lb to the back lever?).

Edited by jw7

Maybe (probably) I'm doing something wrong, for I am Luddite, but I still can't see it!

What does Luddite mean?

One who is loathsome to become uptodate. For example most of my buddies had a mobile phone / cellphone ages before me and called me a luddite ha ha

I was trying to open the file in Firefox but opened a new IE window, downloaded to desktop, then watched it in winamp.

The rules are clearly laid down on the BHSA and USAWA and IAWA site. They are exactly what George Weaver set out rather than ones we adapted.

Hey... that's me :)

I took this video when I was preparing for an aussie grip comp that never happened.

I'll tell ya, every bit of weight makes such a big difference with this lift!

As far as materials go, I did notice how much the broomstick I was using was bending when I was doing these... seems these would be better done with something more rigid.

Broomstick is it. As per the rules. Now I don't know what most are made from so if we found one which was made of a stiffer wood...

From the USAWA site:
F12. Left and Right Hand Weaver Stick Lift

Stick dimentions: 42 inches long. At one end, place a notch 1/2 inch from end. The weight will be placed in notch. Thirty six (36) inches from center of notch, mark a line on stick. This will be the foremost position of the hand. Place some sort of bracket (angle brackets will work )at this point, leaving 5 1/2 inches for the gripping surface. The gripping surface may be taped, for thickness, with non-stick tape.

Place the stick on a surface, even with the lifter's hand when hanging straight down. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. The stick must be lifted straight up from the lifting surface, with no rocking of the stick prior to lifting. The lifting hand and arm must remain free of the body, and the heel of the hand must remain on the top of the stick. If the hand twists around the stick, the lift is not allowed. The entire weight must be free of the surface and under control. The lift ends on command.

The lift may also be made by reversing the grip and grasping the stick with the little finger towards the weight, instead of the thumb towards the weight. The body may be bent during this method of lift.

For the lift to the front, 5 pounds is not bad, 6 is getting good, 7 is pretty damn good, 8 is awesome.

To the front: very and even harder on the wrist than reverse. Easier to see and so try and get some control over though.

Thanks Bob!! What kind of a stick would be good? Dowel rod or something of that sort? Or would that not be strong enough?

Broomstick is it. As per the rules. Let's not go down the changing it route. There is no need. What are broomstick handles - $2.00??

Clearly I'm not Bob...

But I use an old wooden flag pole that I recycled and made into a weaver stick, so I'm pretty sure a dowel would work. An old broom stick (if long enough) would probably work well also.

:bow to the mighty record setter on this event by the way. My wrist throbs in his honor every time I think about that... (wasn't it something like 20-22lb to the back lever?).

Broomstick is it. As per the rules. It is precisely because of the throbbing wrists that the single rule adaption was allowing a wrap. The WR, which is mine I believe, is (R/H) 8.10-kilos / 17.82lbs in competition. I HAVE done more in training (where the 20-22lbs came from - although I think I did closer to 20 than 22 - it was ages ago).

What does Luddite mean?

One who is loathsome to become uptodate. For example most of my buddies had a mobile phone / cellphone ages before me and called me a luddite ha ha

Luddites were a group of Weavers (ha ha!) who smashed up mechanical looms during the early Industrial Revolution.

Actually I shoe-horned that Weaver reference in, but the were textile workers.

The broom stick I had found laying around and have been using was only 3/4" and bent badly until it finally cracked. I went and bought a 1" dowel rod ($3.47) - no idea what kind of wood it is but the 1" size certainly feels better than 3/4" did. I haven't tried it yet but will soon - and yes it does hurt the wrist. We did some after Gripmas - it's fun and challenging for sure.

The broom stick I had found laying around and have been using was only 3/4" and bent badly until it finally cracked. I went and bought a 1" dowel rod ($3.47) - no idea what kind of wood it is but the 1" size certainly feels better than 3/4" did. I haven't tried it yet but will soon - and yes it does hurt the wrist. We did some after Gripmas - it's fun and challenging for sure.

I think that using a stick that bends is not the best idea. You can get some wrist motion going before the stick ever entirely leaves the tabletop.