What is it?

blueshadow

My #2 recently started making a strange squeaking noise when I use it, the spring does not seem to be loose in the handle. I worry that it might break and cause an injury.  It has served me faithfully these past few months since I bought it so I'm not complaining. It is the one I use the most and is single stamped. I will continue working with it  using eye protection!

Try some WD-40, it should get rid of the squeak.  If the skew is not right for your hand, you'll place more friction on the spring, and that's what causes the squeak.

I just did that & I say my grippers are WAY easier to close. They're also way easier to open because there's less friction keeping the handles togather, so maybe it balances out? ???

I thought the squeak was a good indication that a gripper is getting seasoned.  Why would you want to put wd-40 on it if it makes it easier?  Does it make it THAT much easier?  What's wrong with some squeak?  It is a good indication that my grippers are not functioning at optimal performance?

All good questions Euclid, I wish I had the answers for you!

JJ

P.S., As I said, perhaps it is nothing, but the squeaking bothers my concentration. I would think that my grippers are already seasoned after 100's of reps!

I seriously doubt if any kind of lubrication could make a gripper easier to close. Does it weaken the spring in some way ? It has to be all in the mind like the placebo effect.

I oil mine constantly to keep rust off the springs.  They have never gotten easier to close.  The squeek really plays mind games with me.  If a gripper squeeks it breaks my concentration and it's game over.........

I am surprised to hear that the squeak bothers some of you. I love that sound! It's right up there with the sound 2 45# plates make when slid together! I could make a soundtrack of that stuff. It just fuels my fire. But you gotta go with what works for you.

Well Adam, you know that the sound of 2 45's grating against each other does not mean that they are going to break and perhaps send a piece of shrapnel towards your face! Chances are that the grippers will not either, but that tiny little shred of doubt is what makes me think twice about it and affects my concentration during a work out!  ;)

mine have been squeaking for years...   no problems.  It's just the sides of the springs slipping past eachother with that bit of rust in there.  A bit of WD40 (cover the handles) should clear this up and bring the gripper back to new.  It 'aint gonna make it any easier either..  Dont worry about the spring exploding or whatever.  Springs are made of spring steel, alloyed and heat treated with the specific intent of bending back and fourth millions of times.  Think about the springs in your truck or car and how they get compressed more times in a 10 minute ride than in the duration of the life of a gripper probably.....

Has there ever been a failure? (besides chromed springs, which changes the temper of the metal a bit)

~Steve

Guest Youngguy

Don't use wd-40, because it will just ware off.  Use 3-in-1 oil to lubricate your grippers.  It cleans, protects, and lubricates.

Revtor

The springs may have fine metal on it, but my gripper spring still broke right in my hand.  I was lucky that all of the gripper stayed in my hand when it broke. :crazy

Omygawd!! Youngguy, you have suffered through every gripmeister's worst nightmare!! Having a gripper break in your hand during a work out! Give us the details please! Glad ya didn't get hurt, guy!