First Wrench Bend

vikingsrule92

Hey everybody, I finally finished my first wrench bend! It's nothing compared to what some of you guys are doing but it's decent. I found a 1/2 x 9/16 Craftsman wrench going through my late grandpa's garage a few weeks ago and decided to have a go at it today (in honor of him :rock). I kinked it a little yesterday, then finished it today. Went down easier than I expected, but still really damn hard! Here's the pic http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6824

Edited by vikingsrule92

Derek,

Excellent bend! Aren't those things so much springier than any spike? Really a different sort of bend that is alot of fun.

Next up is the 5/8 by 11/16.

Great job.

Tim

Derek,

Excellent bend! Aren't those things so much springier than any spike? Really a different sort of bend that is alot of fun.

Next up is the 5/8 by 11/16.

Great job.

Tim

Those things are so much springier than damn near anything. Anyone who says Brass or F911s are the springiest thing they've ever felt have never bent a Craftsman screwdriver or wrench.

Thanks Tim!! I'll have to find one of those, where can you get wrenches cheap? I found a 3/4 by 7/8 in my grandpas garage also and I can't even fathom how you bent that. It's SOOOO damn massive. Also, what size HRS flat bar would be good for my strength level? I want something to train on without blowing a couple bucks per bend :D

great bend derek, nice picture :) that looks like one tough wrench, great job man!!!

Great job Derek!!! :rock Conrats on that wrench, I am like a hoover at wrench bending if you know what I mean!! I think some of the guys bend the Craftsman Tappet wrenches(somebody correct me if I'm wrong). They are probably a little easier than the standard Craftsman stuff. You might give those a try. I saw em' in the tool section the other day, and they looked to be thinner than the regular wrenches.

Great job Derek!!! :rock Conrats on that wrench, I am like a hoover at wrench bending if you know what I mean!! I think some of the guys bend the Craftsman Tappet wrenches(somebody correct me if I'm wrong). They are probably a little easier than the standard Craftsman stuff. You might give those a try. I saw em' in the tool section the other day, and they looked to be thinner than the regular wrenches.

Thanks Jeremiah! Haha well at least I'm better than you at something :D Yeah I knew that, I just didn't know if there was one place better to find them at or one place cheaper than others.

Thanks Steve!!

Jeremiah,

From what I can tell in the pic, that is a tappet wrench he bent. You can find them in a 5 piece set which includes the 9/16, the 5/8 and the 3/4 and 2 smaller ones. They're all the same length so you've got an excellent progression.

As for the flat steel, I'd say depending on the length you're wanting to bend it at, I'd go with 3/16 by 1 inch or 1/4 by 3/4 inch. Those would probably be great for you at 10 to 12 inches then you can always cut them down more if you progress really fast. Flat steel does vary alot in my experience though so you have to keep that in mind.

A word about the tappet wrenches. I've got several sets and I took them to the post office and weight them and there seems to be 2 different weights, or strengths for each size. For the big 3/4 by 7/8 for instance, the one I bent in the youtube video weighed 6.2 oz. but the first one I bent weight 6.7 oz. and yes it was even more insane. Same with the 5/8 by 11/16. One weighed 4.7 and another weighed 4.2 so you're talking 1/2 oz more metal and it's probably all in the handle as the heads seem pretty consistant. You can definately feel the difference too when you bend them. I don't remember the weights for the 9/16 but it and the smaller 2 also seem to have 2 distinct weights. They don't overlap though. The heavier 5/8 is still nowhere near the lighter 3/4 inch one so it still is a great progression. Maybe 2 factories? Who knows.

Great job and hope this helps!

Tim

Jeremiah,

From what I can tell in the pic, that is a tappet wrench he bent. You can find them in a 5 piece set which includes the 9/16, the 5/8 and the 3/4 and 2 smaller ones. They're all the same length so you've got an excellent progression.

As for the flat steel, I'd say depending on the length you're wanting to bend it at, I'd go with 3/16 by 1 inch or 1/4 by 3/4 inch. Those would probably be great for you at 10 to 12 inches then you can always cut them down more if you progress really fast. Flat steel does vary alot in my experience though so you have to keep that in mind.

A word about the tappet wrenches. I've got several sets and I took them to the post office and weight them and there seems to be 2 different weights, or strengths for each size. For the big 3/4 by 7/8 for instance, the one I bent in the youtube video weighed 6.2 oz. but the first one I bent weight 6.7 oz. and yes it was even more insane. Same with the 5/8 by 11/16. One weighed 4.7 and another weighed 4.2 so you're talking 1/2 oz more metal and it's probably all in the handle as the heads seem pretty consistant. You can definately feel the difference too when you bend them. I don't remember the weights for the 9/16 but it and the smaller 2 also seem to have 2 distinct weights. They don't overlap though. The heavier 5/8 is still nowhere near the lighter 3/4 inch one so it still is a great progression. Maybe 2 factories? Who knows.

Great job and hope this helps!

Tim

Tim, I wasn't sure if this was a Tappet or not, as i told you I found it. I might have to buy one of those 5 piece sets and try them out. We'll see :whistel

Alright Tim, I'll go to the steel supplier next weekend or something and try those sizes out.

That's very interesting that they vary so much, I'll have to make sure and get a "light" 5/8 by 11/16 :D

Thanks a lot Tim, I really appreciate the advice since I'm so new to this stuff.

Awesome Sentimental Bend Derek :mosher

Thanks Mike, maybe someday I'll actually move the 3/4 by 7/8 I found also .... but I kind of doubt it :D;)

Edited by vikingsrule92

Thanks Mike, maybe someday I'll actually move the 3/4 by 7/8 I found also .... but I kind of doubt it :D;)

Congrats on the wrench nice job!!! How you make out with the stuff i gave ya?How you like that aluminum horseshoe??

Congrats on the wrench nice job!!! How you make out with the stuff i gave ya?How you like that aluminum horseshoe??

Ohh you're Jim? I haven't tried too much of it yet. I tried the aluminum horseshoe, but I told you I'm REALLY weak with horseshoes so I didn't move it that much.

Awesome wrench bend Derek,Looks good. :rock be careful with those aluminum shoes,I here that sometimes they snap :cry .

Awesome wrench bend Derek,Looks good. :rock be careful with those aluminum shoes,I here that sometimes they snap :cry .

Yeah and don't get addicted to aluminum shoes. Very expensive

Yea this is Jim from Youtube.Dont sweat that aluminum shoe its a tough one.Also the fact that its a used one makes it even harder.The Diamond is much easier than that.Let me know when you do that bolt im curious how hard it is........

Yea this is Jim from Youtube.Dont sweat that aluminum shoe its a tough one.Also the fact that its a used one makes it even harder.The Diamond is much easier than that.Let me know when you do that bolt im curious how hard it is........

Ok I might try that bolt tomorrow. It seems really springy from what pressure I've tried to apply to it.

I didn't know the aluminums were so tough!

Ok I might try that bolt tomorrow. It seems really springy from what pressure I've tried to apply to it.

Neither did i you would think they be super easy!!!Good luck with the bolt i got the same ones but 3/8 holding my racecar together so it better be tough lol.......

Neither did i you would think they be super easy!!!Good luck with the bolt i got the same ones but 3/8 holding my racecar together so it better be tough lol.......

Yeah I naturally assumed they'd be easy because they're aluminum.

Haha yeah then for your sake I hope they're tough :D

Hmmm, aluminum shoes huh? Harder than diamonds huh? I'll have to get one of those bad boys soon then!!!

BTW, what brand is that aluminum shoe?

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Hmmm, aluminum shoes huh? Harder than diamonds huh? I'll have to get one of those bad boys soon then!!!

You should Zach, you can probably do them, I sure as hell can't :D I'm not sure, maybe Jim can answer that, but it says ELITE on the inside rim of the shoe

You should Zach, you can probably do them, I sure as hell can't :D I'm not sure, maybe Jim can answer that, but it says ELITE on the inside rim of the shoe

To eBay I go then :rock :rock :rock

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

To eBay I go then :rock :rock :rock

I got a bunch of them. They are used and someone gave me them for free.PM your adress i can send some if you like.Im gonna try one again today its been a while.From what i remember they were definetly harder than a Polo#2........

I got a bunch of them. They are used and someone gave me them for free.PM your adress i can send some if you like.Im gonna try one again today its been a while.From what i remember they were definetly harder than a Polo#2........

PM sent :)