Tearing

Pancake Sprawl

ok guys, i've got a problem. i've got good grip strength and decent overall strength for a guy my size but i recently got into tearing. and my goal is to tear a phone book. i've read the techniques and such, but i'm having trouble tearing even magazines. is there any exercises that i can do to help develop a stronger tear?

Just tearing has been working for me, I'm working towards tearing a full deck of cards and I train by tearing like 20-30 cards at a time.

Edited by shizen

part of the problem is that magazines are printed on a much different type of paper. When they gave out the new phone books I went to the recycling place and got a whole bunch. If you can't get any smaller books use half books to practice on your form.

Brent

part of the problem is that magazines are printed on a much different type of paper.

Definitely! I have found that even a slight increase in the thickness of the paper makes a huge difference. The techniqe has to be right as well. Unless you are tearing the really big books it is more about technique than strenth.

part of the problem is that magazines are printed on a much different type of paper.

Definitely! I have found that even a slight increase in the thickness of the paper makes a huge difference. The techniqe has to be right as well. Unless you are tearing the really big books it is more about technique than strenth.

I think that depends on what tearing method you are using. Popping or posting and pulling. The popping method is a whole lot easier(which as long as you have the technique down, difficulty only slightly rises with a much thicker book), but the post and pull method, I think, is a better demonstrator of grip and wrist strength, but is tons harder. I have torn books both ways, and while I like the post and pull for the purity of it, I still use the popping technique if I'm on the spot, or preforming for a youth group. It doesn't waste my hands as much, and it seems like every time I post and pull, I pull a muscle in my left hand!! Also, tip for getting tearing material; I grab a handful of those free auto seller mags at the supermarket each time I go. the paper is very similar to a phone book too!! :D

I think that depends on what tearing method you are using. Popping or posting and pulling. The popping method is a whole lot easier(which as long as you have the technique down, difficulty only slightly rises with a much thicker book), but the post and pull method, I think, is a better demonstrator of grip and wrist strength, but is tons harder. I have torn books both ways, and while I like the post and pull for the purity of it, I still use the popping technique if I'm on the spot, or preforming for a youth group. It doesn't waste my hands as much, and it seems like every time I post and pull, I pull a muscle in my left hand!! Also, tip for getting tearing material; I grab a handful of those free auto seller mags at the supermarket each time I go. the paper is very similar to a phone book too!! :D

i like the post and pull, but with the magazines they seem too thin, because i can get a proper grip on it unless i crush grip it, plus the paper seems slippery. i don't fully understand the popping technique yet, maybe if i see an instructional on how to do it exactly, but i also use another technique that i haven't seen anyone do. i pinch grip the magazine or newspaper, and then instead of posting and pulling i just pull the it apart horizontally, like in the movements you do if you had one of those old chest expanders.

If you think you know the technique, then practice is all you need. I had it all figured out but couldn't do much for a while. Then one night, don't know why, I ripped about six phonebooks in an hour or so. Like most technique problems, it will eventually just click.

And once you get that, magazines, travel phonebooks, and anything else of the right size will help even further.

wow, i tried the popping technique out right after i went to that site of Clay Edgin showing you how to do it, and i ripped 3 phonebooks in half, and 2 of them were 3 inches thick. thanks guys for the help, now to practice my post and pull!