12" Fbbc Spike

vikingsrule92

Here you go guys, the FBBC 12" Spike. It was from the easier, shiny batch, but I'm proud of this bend nonetheless. Other stuff today included: 2 Mag bastards stuck at 75 degrees and a 5.5" Hard Red stuck at 85 degrees. Very disappointed in myself today, but oh well. I'll post the Mag video here, and in the grand thread once it's done.

You killed that FBBC 12" spike. From the looks of it it looks like the "easier" spike had a harder crushdown than the "harder" one.

Way to go Derek! :rock

You killed that FBBC 12" spike. From the looks of it it looks like the "easier" spike had a harder crushdown than the "harder" one.

Way to go Derek! :rock

Thanks David, I'm not sure about that, it was already way past 2.5", I was just crushing it farther. When I can cursh it barehanded with my girlish hands it must be easy :D

Dude, you really went down to crush it :D You kinked it easy. A few more training on the crush and this bastard will go down in 30 second :rock Have you tried any Shiny? I believe it can give you a nice crushing workout. Plus you don't have to change your hands a lot on a 7". That's why I prefer 7" bends.

Dude, you really went down to crush it :D You kinked it easy. A few more training on the crush and this bastard will go down in 30 second :rock Have you tried any Shiny? I believe it can give you a nice crushing workout. Plus you don't have to change your hands a lot on a 7". That's why I prefer 7" bends.

I've tried a piece of Brendan's easy fake Shiny (475) but not real FBBC. I can only kink the fake a little right now because my 7" kink has gone to hell since I've been doing all of this short crap.

thanks Alawadhi, I hope it goes down soon.

Awesome job!

You're doing great.

Tim

Nice bend Derek!! I'm glad somebody completed at least one bend today!!

I could've sworn I posted the link! Sorry guys here's the Spike

Jeremiah, thanks, it defintiely wasn't the one I really wanted, but I'll take it :D

I've tried a piece of Brendan's easy fake Shiny (475) but not real FBBC. I can only kink the fake a little right now because my 7" kink has gone to hell since I've been doing all of this short crap.

Me too :blink Before today my best bend time on the hard dark bastard was around one minute. Maybe even less. But today if you see my log, I bent it in 5 minutes :blink Most of the time was on the kink. Don't know what's wrong. But I also feel a pain on my lower back. Don't know the reason. Maybe they are connected somehow. I kinked the 6.5" without trouble though. Hope my back gets ok and my kink returns not only to were it was, but stronger.

By the way, that was a nice bend their! :rock I can bend many stong things, but still I didn't bend a spike or a horseshoe :upsidedwn

Edited by Alawadhi

Me too :blink Before today my best bend time on the hard dark bastard was around one minute. Maybe even less. But today if you see my log, I bent it in 5 minutes :blink Most of the time was on the kink. Don't know what's wrong. But I also feel a pain on my lower back. Don't know the reason. Maybe they are connected somehow. I kinked the 6.5" without trouble though. Hope my back gets ok and my kink returns not only to were it was, but stronger.

Well I know my problem, I haven't bent anything of 7" length in a while, and I can't get comfortable at that length. I hope everything gets better for you buddy, maybe you need a rest from bending for a while, i don't know.

Congrats man, that is quite a thing, even among the strong benders on here there is not allot that can do that spike. I hope you keep working on that spike and bigger stuff as well it is allot of fun once you can bend and crush stuff braced you (and most other strong unbraced benders) would have no chance of moving unbraced.

I almost felt sort of silly that I could always finish crush my braced bends unbraced. Once you cross over that line where you can destroy something using your whole body that nobody is going to move afterwards it feels pretty awesome. That 7/16" I did recently I don't think anyone but Gazza and Aaron and a handful of others on here would be able to crush down unbraced. That is a pretty cool feeling and it will get you hooked on the braced stuff.

Is this fake Shiny the 304 Stainless Derek?

Is this fake Shiny the 304 Stainless Derek?

Yup, why?

Thanks Scott and Tim. Tim, yeah my braced is so damn weak I can finish anything I can actually kink braced, unbraced.

Nice bending Derek, gonna have to gen up on the braced bending and give it a go! :rock

Derek nice work on the spikes!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

The 304 stainless I sent you cal'd at 465 lbs the O-1 drillrod cal'd at 475 lbs.

With the strength that you have once you get your 7" kink back you will take it down no problem!!!

Brendan

Yup, why?

Just curious how close it was to the FBBC Stainless is all. Still a very good bend. I thought it might be 18-8 Stainless which is something I had never heard of until a month ago. It is incredibly hard and even the 1/4" Square version of that stainless would stop most Bastard benders dead in their tracks.

Even though the 304 has a lower number than the O-1 drill rod, in my experience, it has a tougher crush.

Boy I'm in the same boat with you guys on the 7 inch kink. I've been doing alot of 5.5 inch and 6 inch CRS lately and didn't really think anything about it until the other day I was bending in the ol' hardware store and I went to do one of my tough 70d spikes unbraced and I couldn't get it moving. Well I got it some a little at a time but I could see everybody was getting impatient so I just knocked it down unbraced.

Really through me for a loop as that had been a pretty routing bend for me. Probably an off day too.

Great job again on the spike. Yes the braced opens up a whole new area of wrenches and massive bars and spikes.

Later,

Tim

Great attempt on the Mag Derek and nice Spike bend :rock

Thanks Mike, Brendan, and Mike!! :D

Ben, I've never heard of that stainless, sounds interesting though. Can you buy it off of McMaster? I might have to try some 1/4 Square

18-8 Stainless covers a large grade scale! just means 18% chromium 8% nickel!

Easy said as:

18-8: 300 series stainless steel having approximately (not exactly) 18% chromium and 8% nickel. The term "18-8" is used interchangeably to characterize fittings made of 302, 302HQ, 303, 304, 305, 384, XM7, and other variables of these grades with close chemical compositions. There is little overall difference in corrosion resistance among the "18-8" types, but slight differences in chemical composition do make certain grades more resistant than others do against particular chemicals or atmospheres. "18-8" has superior corrosion resistance to 400 series stainless, is generally nonmagnetic, and is hardenable only by cold working.

OK ;)

18-8 Stainless covers a large grade scale! just means 18% chromium 8% nickel!

Easy said as:

18-8: 300 series stainless steel having approximately (not exactly) 18% chromium and 8% nickel. The term "18-8" is used interchangeably to characterize fittings made of 302, 302HQ, 303, 304, 305, 384, XM7, and other variables of these grades with close chemical compositions. There is little overall difference in corrosion resistance among the "18-8" types, but slight differences in chemical composition do make certain grades more resistant than others do against particular chemicals or atmospheres. "18-8" has superior corrosion resistance to 400 series stainless, is generally nonmagnetic, and is hardenable only by cold working.

OK ;)

Thanks Mike :D