G5 Bolts Question

knyaz

a G5 Bolt is basically a 1/4 " 6 inch bolt right??

what would a G8 be.... sorry Im not new to bending but, just got into bolts and Im not sure what is what

thanks

a G5 Bolt is basically a 1/4 " 6 inch bolt right??

what would a G8 be.... sorry Im not new to bending but, just got into bolts and Im not sure what is what

thanks

a grade5 1/4x6" bolt would have 3 lines on the head, grade 8 would have 6 lines, grade 2 no lines but possibly some letters or other symbol.

- Aaron

G2s, G5s, and G8s all come in different lengths and diameters, but a standard for all of them is 1/4" x 6". It's the grade of steel that makes the difference in difficulty. The way to tell the difference is a G2 has no lines on it head, the G5 has 3 lines going in towards the center, and the G8 has 6 lines going in towards the center of the bolt. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but basically they're all the same diameter, or can have the same diameters, it's the strength of steel that makes the difference.

yes I finally got it, this would explain me bending some of them and only kinking the other bolts I have, now I can tell the difference :)

yes I finally got it, this would explain me bending some of them and only kinking the other bolts I have, now I can tell the difference :)

Haha yup that's the difference. Which can you bend and which did you kink? Just curious

Those grades make a big difference. Eric has calibrated grade 2 bolts of the 1/4 by 6 inch variety at anywhere from 185 to 235. Grade 2s are medium carbon steel. Some grade 2s are probably grade 1 bolts, truth be known.

Grade 5s are medium carbon steel that has been heat treated and they've cal'd anywhere from 345 to 435. They have the characteristic springiness to them.

Grade 8s are alloy steel that's been heat treated and the ones I've sent Eric have cal'd at anywhere from 445 to a whopping 495. These are even more springy and have a really tough crush, especially to the newer benders.

Have fun!

Tim

Haha yup that's the difference. Which can you bend and which did you kink? Just curious

kinked a g5 very tough, I think I have a lot more 60 ds and other sorts of steal to bend before it actually bends, but Im gonna try my hardest