Question to grip masters...

Guest el4n

I'd like to hear from some of the CoC's and any others who have had success closing any of their grippers how long it took to close the #1 (could you close it first time you tried?) How long after closing the #1 to close the #2 (Were you able to close #2 first squeeze?)? And of course how long after the #2 did it take you to close the #3?

Hopefully this can give some of us newbies an idea of the time taken by most and some incentive as well. Thanks much!

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I was pretty lucky when I started. I could close my #2 right out of the bag. It took me about 1 1/2 years to mash the #3. But , I am 43 years old and have been lifting for almost 30 years, so I had a good base to start with.

HARLAM

I NOTICE THAT YOU SAY IT TOOK YOU 1 1/2 YEARS ROUGHLY TO CONQUER THE 3#(WELL DONE)AND THAT YOU HAD DONE A LOT OF TRAINING YEARS INFACT BEFOREHAND.DID YOU HAVE TO ALTER YOUR TRAINING IN ANY WAY TO BAG THE 3#,EG:-DID YOU HAVE TO DROP SOME OF YOUR OTHER GRIP EXERCISES,OR DID YOU CARRY ON AS NORMAL.

I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO THE PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF,WHO KEEP ON PLUGGIN AWAY WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH,

1 1/2 YEARS IS A LONG TIME,I THINK SNOTT TOOK ABOUT 2YEARS TO GET HIS 3#,AND SCOTT POLLS KING DADDY

(SORRY SCOTT COULDNT RESIST :)  :) HAS BEEN EFTER HIS 3# FOR A LONG TIME!

Guest omniexist

It took me about 1 week to close my COC#1. The COC#2 took me about 1 mounth. The COC#3 took me about 7 mounths. Befor i got my COC#1 i had no grip training at all.

I would hardly consider myself a gripmaster, but I went from the #1 to the #2 in about a month.  I'm now trying for the #3 and I'm expecting that to take about 6 or more months.  First, I need to close the double-stamped #2, which is almost as hard as my #3.  Once I can close the DS #2, the DS #3 will follow shortly.

#1 and #2 were closed for reps right out of the bag. I got my #3 in april 2001. Got it to 1/8 in june 2001 and stopped working on it fro months. Got back to it in january 2002 and closed it in july of this year. I'm not a grip master. very far from it.

First, I need to close the double-stamped #2, which is almost as hard as my #3.

Mjoynt,

Interesting about your double stamped #2.  I have a double stamped #2 which I cannot quite close yet (~1/8" off).  Tested my #1 and #2 on the bathroom scale and my #1 took 120lb. to close and the #2, 220lb.  I think the #2's  were supposed to be around 190lb. to close.  I  also noticed that my #2 has the spring set deeper into the handle than my other grippers.

Robert

Tested my #1 and #2 on the bathroom scale and my #1 took 120lb. to close and the #2, 220lb

RSW, how did you measure it ??

I have double stamped #1 and #2 which i bought directly on ironmind site and i obtain 74.8 Lbs and 105 Lbs respectively  :crazy !

I closed the #1 off the box but with great difficulty and four monthes after i'm still figthing against the last bits of my #2   ??? .

Amaury,

I just centered the gripper  on the scale and pressed down until the handles closed, with one handle lying flat on the scale.  I think the ratio between your #1 and #2 looks right, although I think your scale is reading the closing pressure a bit  light.  I think a #1 is supposed to be 140lb and a #2 190lb and a #3, 280lb.  I haven't tried measuring my #3 or #4.  I am afraid of breaking my scale.

Next time  I visit York Barbell I will look over the various #2's and #3's to  see if they look different.  I think the handle on my #2 is  set very deep.

Robert

RSW, check the PDA calibration threads posted at the top of grippage.  Those IP's that IM gives are way off.  

Harlan Jacobs and Tou--have you guys been certified yet?  Can I hope to see you in a MILO soon?

Robert,

in the way i measure it only the tip of one of the handle is touching the scale...maybe it changes the value of the torque required ?

Nevermind : the remark about the ratio is reassuring...phew!! :)

When I got all the grippers, I could close the Trainer and #1 right out of the bag.

The #2 was closed after about three weeks.

The #3 was closed two years after that.  It would of been sooner, but I was a bit lazy in my training.   :p

Guest Harlan Jacobs

My witness sent in my pictures of me clossing the grippers but didn't send in the picture of my ugly mug. So I have been setting here waiting for nothing. He has the picture of me and promised to send it in . So very soon !!!!!!!!!

RSW, check the PDA calibration threads posted at the top of grippage.  Those IP's that IM gives are way off.  

ip is torque, lb is weight, two different things. IM describes the closing force in pounds, PDA in torque. A scale measures weight (pounds).  You didn't think closing a #2 was equivalent to curling 300lb. with your fingers did you ?  ;)
in the way i measure it only the tip of one of the handle is touching the scale...maybe it changes the value of the torque required ?

Yes, most scales are not designed to have all of the pressure in one spot.  

Robert