If I'm Alone In This, This Is Gonna Sound Weird; But...

twig

It's well known that, due to the physics of temperature, grippers are harder to close when they're cold, than when they're warm, but I find it much easier to do pich, blockweights and thickbar when the weights at atmospheric temp on a summers day, than when they're atmospheric temp on a winters day. Does anyone else find that warm weights are easier to lift than cold ones?

Oh, and it's not that my hands are colder in winter, I've already eliminated that as a factor.

It's well known that, due to the physics of temperature, grippers are harder to close when they're cold, than when they're warm, but I find it much easier to do pich, blockweights and thickbar when the weights at atmospheric temp on a summers day, than when they're atmospheric temp on a winters day. Does anyone else find that warm weights are easier to lift than cold ones?

Oh, and it's not that my hands are colder in winter, I've already eliminated that as a factor.

Twig, I've noticed that as well. If my Blobs are stored where it is warm, they feel a lot easier. I've decided I might occasionally cycle the temp of blobs as a training tool (at least try to do the same level of pinch "cold" after it is achieved "warm"). ;)

My all time rolling thunder PR of 100kg was achieved on a summer's evening. So it was warm, but not excessively hot. If it is too hot sweat on the hands becomes too much of an issue. humidity would have more effect than temperature imo as if it was too humid the implement would feel very damp and slippery.

My all time rolling thunder PR of 100kg was achieved on a summer's evening. So it was warm, but not excessively hot. If it is too hot sweat on the hands becomes too much of an issue. humidity would have more effect than temperature imo as if it was too humid the implement would feel very damp and slippery.

Pinching in the southeastern US, I rarely experience very low humidity-has anyone trained in both desert-like conditions as well as in high humidity that would be willing to make any observations?

Does low humidity lead to dry skin/ poor texture for pinching, or do you feel like an NFL punter in Denver? ;)

I prefer my hands to be drier (eveyone does, this is why we use chalk). How many people can lift a blob outside in the rain with no chalk? Hands should dry out more in low humidity. If the hands are really dry they are prone to cracking and tearing but this can be sorted out by using a 'moisturising' hand cream post workout. Also if you drink more water your hands will be less 'dried out'.

It was last winter when i first did the 2 finger lift of 5 11lb plates.

I could not replicate this feat in the summer because the plates felt 'slippery' in the heat, even though my hands were a lot stronger i.e. able to do more reps on the #3, more on a 2 hand pinch setup etc...

I seem to find it better to close grippers when its cold out with no warm ups for some reason. I recently TNS my BBSM left handed on a nice 20 degree day in the garage. Huge PR for me. Pinching is another story when it's cold out for me.

I seem to find it better to close grippers when its cold out with no warm ups for some reason. I recently TNS my BBSM left handed on a nice 20 degree day in the garage. Huge PR for me. Pinching is another story when it's cold out for me.

20 degrees C or F?

nice PR.

20 degrees Farenheit

Ever since I've started with the grippers I always did my PR's with no warm up. Not sure why being cold helps either. Might be less moisture on my hands. I rarely use chalk.

20 degrees Farenheit

Ever since I've started with the grippers I always did my PR's with no warm up. Not sure why being cold helps either. Might be less moisture on my hands. I rarely use chalk.

Yeah, probably less sweat.

When I pinch an icy cold plate the heat from my hand creates condensation on the plate under my fingers and makes it slippery.

Once in a while, when I soak my grippers in a sink full of hot soapy water, I notice that they seem weaker when they first come out. I don't know if it is because my hand was warmed by the water -> increased blood flow or if the metal softens a bit? I doubt that 120* F to 150* F tap water could do that to steel. Anyways, it doesn't last long. :dry

My grip workouts always seem harder in the winter - my gym is in my garage so the metal is cold and grippers etc seem to hurt quite a bit in a hard workout.

In other areas of the body - squats etc - I don't notice any difference once the body is warmed up.

I figured it was more like my old stiff joints in the cold weather making it harder to lift & grip.

All good points though...

I do 90% of my grip training in an unheated garage and have always found that my pinch numbers are the highest in spring and my vbar numbers are the highest in the dead of winter. My 387 pull on the FBBC vbar was in late December. Grippers are always harder for me when it's cold though. I occasionally bring them inside but mainly train them outside since I think the carryover to closing grippers in a warm environment will pay off. It's also another method I have of knowing when my grippers are on. If I can close something in my cold garage then I know I'll kill it in front of people in a warm house or contest setting.

i live in Hawaii so i can't experience the extreme cold but i do notice that when i first pick up my gripper it puts up a better fight than when i start to rep it out. maybe it's because i usually don't do warm up sets

Does low humidity lead to dry skin/ poor texture for pinching, or do you feel like an NFL punter in Denver? ;)

HAHAHA! That one got me on the funny bone.

All jokes aside, I'd be very interested to hear other thoughts on this topic.