The X-filed Gripper

Viking1

I am planning to file down one or two of my recent grippers to gain a deeper crush. You who have experience with this, how do you use them in your training regimen and have you felt that it made you gain some extra in that last part of the crush afterwards with "normal" grippers? Pretty new to this, :blush so all pointers will be appreciated :) Stay Strong!

I filed down my CoC trainer about a month ago. I definitely think it improves strength, but it makes it a lot harder than you would think, so I would be careful how many you file down. Maybe start with an easy one first and if you can do it pretty easily then file down another.

I filed down my CoC trainer about a month ago. I definitely think it improves strength, but it makes it a lot harder than you would think, so I would be careful how many you file down. Maybe start with an easy one first and if you can do it pretty easily then file down another.

This is real solid advice. I only have one filed gripper, an old HG150. I only use it for warm-ups and cool-downs. The only reason you should file a gripper handle is to gain strength and ROM in the final aspects of the close.

This is real solid advice. I only have one filed gripper, an old HG150. I only use it for warm-ups and cool-downs. The only reason you should file a gripper handle is to gain strength and ROM in the final aspects of the close.

Couldn`t it also be used on the heavier grippers as well, for low reps to gain on the final part? And how much can you file it without destroying the grippers construction/mounting to the spring? :unsure

There should be some pics in the gallery of filed grippers. I think most take off around 1/8" to start and go from there. Both of mine are around 1/4" or so.

I have an HG200 & 250 that are filed that I use for BTR training. I do one set of 3-5 reps, going very slow and crushing the gripper closed for 2-3 seconds each rep.

There should be some pics in the gallery of filed grippers. I think most take off around 1/8" to start and go from there. Both of mine are around 1/4" or so.

I have an HG200 & 250 that are filed that I use for BTR training. I do one set of 3-5 reps, going very slow and crushing the gripper closed for 2-3 seconds each rep.

What does BTR stand for, and is it of any differense if it`s the dogleg thats filed or the other when in use? Pictures in the gallery seems to vary regarding this. Thanks for taking your time answering a newbie in the gripgame :bow

BTR is good for heavy grippers too. I've seen other posts that this was Kinney's logic in filing his big grippers and also the handle on his secret weapon. Basically, if you do a negative on a regular heavy gripper you are only providing resistance in the range of motion where the gripper would be open anyway. But if you can force it shut PAST closed, then your negative will include the point at which the gripper would be closed. Your hand can then be conditioned for the force of that gripper at the point when it is closed--which is something that you wouldn't have experienced otherwise.

Edited by Cannon

I filed 1/4 inch from a #1 to use for strapholds. I don't use it differently from any other gripper I train with, but it is a lot harder than it was before filing.

I chucked an hg 100 and 250 under my friend's band saw and I am fairly pleased.

The 100 is still FAR too useless and the hg 250 is ultra filed so that is very hard to touch handles on. Noticed a little difference in final crush strength.

Thanx for all the input guys. Filed down two of my grippers and the new range gave them a new dimension of intensity in the last part of the crush. Now it`s time to give`m hell! :mosher

• 2 weeks later...

I went all out. I double filled my T, #1, #2. My dad said I was filing 'em so much the spring is gonna come out of the handle. Hasn't yet poped out. I can close my #2 double filed.

I went all out. I double filled my T, #1, #2. My dad said I was filing 'em so much the spring is gonna come out of the handle. Hasn't yet poped out. I can close my #2 double filed.

I would be careful with double filing or extreme filing of one handle as eventually you may push the spring too far...

I do enjoy BTR training for a few sets on an HG200 & 250. I do a slow squeeze and hold it closed for a few seconds.

I would be careful with double filing or extreme filing of one handle as eventually you may push the spring too far...

I do enjoy BTR training for a few sets on an HG200 & 250. I do a slow squeeze and hold it closed for a few seconds.

Well I have pics of how much I filled 'em on photobucket. I don't think you can host photobucket on here. Like copy and paste the code in a comment cuz I could show yall how much they are filed....