2008 January - 2007 In Review - climber511

climber511

2007 in Review

I was born in 1948. This year I turned 59 years old. I got my first set of weights in 1959 – if you can’t out lift em – outlast em!

In 1969 and 70, I celebrated New Years in the Republic Of Vietnam, seems like forever and a different lifetime ago – but I was lifting even there – just the weights were pipe with sandbags tied on the ends – makes me really appreciate my Eleiko set now. My best wishes to those serving our country everywhere today, I wish them luck.

I worked out 174 times this year with various routines. Everything from a walk with my wife to a 5 minute grip workout to a 2 hour full body session to a contest is included in this number. Some of those I wouldn’t classify as much of anything really and some were kind of intense.

I set 27 or more PRs, depending on how you look at them. Some brand new – some improvements on old lifts. Some of which I have done better when younger but haven’t done for several years.

The 60-60 list is now finished – not really because it will go on forever now – either with new items to try or with trying to still be able to do the things on the list as I age. Still it was quite an accomplishment I felt – some fairly good feats of strength were on there. I think this was a really good idea for me – I need a carrot to chase and this provided me with one. I haven’t decided exactly what to come up with now but I need to have some things out there to chase. Perhaps the 70 -70 list – who knows?

I did 3 grip contests this year, having fun at each one and with good results for me I thought.

I finished Top Three (2nd in small hands) at the GGC this year – one of my all time grip goals. I hope that is enough to get me an invite to the next Champion of Champions event or what ever it will be called. I really hope to meet and compete against the Europeans that I now only know through the Gripboard.

I also won an event overall – Hercules Hold at BBB – another long time goal of mine – and what a thrill that was for me. I’d rate this as the high point of my grip contest experience so far. Beating Chad, Jedd and Dave T doesn’t happen every day for me.

Gripmas Carol was a for real contest this year with 22 competitors. I thought it went well

for my first try as a promoter. I finished 5th. I had a lot of help from everyone there – thanks everyone.

I went to one Strength Picnic get together. Atomic Athlete’s Great Black Swamp Picnic – great time as usual! These things are really fun and I wish more people could attend, I got to watch Pat’s show again, always a pleasure!

I did my first Highland Games and loved it. Did it with my middle son Sean – I love competing with my sons. I didn’t embarrass myself and fall down at least.

I donated, however modestly, to the GripBoard.

I climbed indoors 34 times.

I climbed 11 days outdoors this year – sad – sad.

I did some type of aerobic workout 83 times this year. Most were pretty easy with either Concept 2 rowing or hill walking but some interval track work and a short stint of Crossfit. The Crossfit works but my elbows won’t take that many pull ups – kipping or otherwise. A few heart rate weight routines as well, these actually work pretty well.

I did one Olympic lifting competition – totaling 160 kilos after missing my first two snatches. 65 kilo snatch and 95 kilo C&J. A couple months training at the most for that one – I wanted to lift at the Arnold but didn’t get in – I had hoped to qualify for Masters Worlds there as they have the level of judges necessary that most small meets don’t have.

I did Astanga Yoga about 41 times – again sad – I need much more of this. Much more!

I had (have) a couple health issues this year and still seem to be fairly anemic – we’re working on it and a couple other issues. Doc is using some big words I didn’t like the sound of. A few injuries – right shoulder, low back/hip and a major flare up of arthritis in my right index finger, it had a knot the size of a grape on it and hurt like crazy. May have to consider the Doc on the shoulder – we’ll see. So far “Geezerhood” - while nipping at my heels, hasn’t got me down yet – it is kind of inconvenient and painful though at times. Knock on wood! The anemia is going to really affect the high altitude climbing I’m afraid if I don’t get a handle on it.

I bent a Bastard bar reverse this year at Gripmas. That’s two of the three methods; I suppose I should work some DU now and become a Bastard in all ways hehe.

I’m tied for 18th on the all time 2 hand Euro pinch. I know I can do better here. I may not place any higher on the list but hopefully can lift my best weights from training in a comp.

I gave back to the sport by working the Olympic lifting at the Arnold Classic for 3 days. I think it is important to contribute to the sports you love in some positive way.

I made a lot of new friends at the various contests and get togethers. Who would have ever believed when I was young anything like the internet would ever exist and I would have people all over the world that I have never met but consider as friends of mine.

I learned a lot from other people that I hope will help my training in the future. Thanks everyone!

I was in Dale Harder’s newsletter a couple times – again an honor! Also ended up on Dennis Rogers website for a scroll I did – how about that? Yeah I know it was a product endorsement but hey – I was happy about it.

I started some long bar bending and some scrolling in November this year after getting the Basic Scrolling DVD by Eric and Dennis. It’s fun and a good workout.

Dec 30th – I bent a 5/8” HRR x 30” long bar braced to tie currently for fourth on David Horne’s long bar list. Definitely a maximum bend at this time!

I built, bought, sold or modified several pieces of training equipment – the Climber Curl has become kind of popular – with people from all over the world now using it with seemingly good pain free results.

My family and I are still healthy and happy – we have enough but not so much that we can’t still enjoy having to save for whatever it is that we want.

AND I MEET SLIM “THE HAMMERMAN” FARMAN AT GGC – A LONG TIME COMING BUT WORTH THE WAIT

Super review - well done!

Onward and upward, and yes in 2009 it will be the 'Champion of Champions' and it'll be great to see you there.

David

Great review!

Heck, I just can't wait to see what you will accomplish in 2008 :D

Superb summary, Chris and congrats on your late year contest results. Watching you win that Herc Hold at BBB3 which for me was the worst torture my hands ever endured, was very impressive, but your top 5 and Gripmas among that field of superstars is just as impressive.

Best wishes for a great 2008 and more fine results for your 60th year.

.. neilkaz ..(geez turning 50 soon)

You are one tough old bastard.I only hope to be half as good as that when I am 60.I am 50 now and back to training hard.I want to make a strong run at the masters world championship highland games this year.You should seriously consider it.You could do some real damage.It is in July this year in Michigan.Keep it up Chris.You are an inspiration.

http://www.scottishmasters.org/

Nice review Chris glad I was there to see alot of it happen! Hope to see just as much if not more this year your a good friend and all around great guy but I'm done letting you beat me cus your old I'm going to make you work for it this year :D yeah right don't hold your breath I'll be happy if I can even be close enough to be a shadow. Keep on trucking though it's guys like you and John that give me some hope I won't be crippled by the silly stuff I do to myself when I get your age.

Great write-up Chris! You keep some good records of what you do. It's inspiring to read what you have done/can do at your age. Stick with it as long as you're enjoying it. :D

Chris, you give me a lot of inspiration and hope as I approach Geezerhood. The goals you set (and meet!) and the detailed records you keep are fantastic. :rock :rock :rock

great post Chris. I think I need to start recording things better. I wish I could look back at the year with this kind of a list. I'll work on it for next year.

Brent