An Announcement For Us Grip Contest

Bob Lipinski

Between Eric, Jedd, Chris, and I, we have come up with a qualifying system for 2008 Nationals. We have also changed the the US record qualifications for lifts:

http://powerandbulk.com/ushandstrength/id12.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the General Rules of grip competition, lifts in Nationals, National Qualifier events, or lifts to be considered for National Records, must meet the following conditions:

1. An attempt shall be counted as one effort to complete the event.

2. The event must use approved equipment.

3. The event must used calibrated implements.

The above rules shall be implemented for the 2008-2009 season (After GGC 2008).

For the 2008 season, an athelete performing any 3 of the following feats in competition shall be qualified for nationals. The 2008 season is exempt from the above rules:

Vertical Bar-290

2" Verticle Bar-200

Gripper-IM #3 or equivalent (140#), or 150# for choker close

Reverse Bending- Grade 5x6" bolt

Axle Deadlift-290

Plate Pinch-170

Any idea how many guys in 2007 competitions would have qualified? This looks real good and I think that would be a good way to check the numbers.

So to clarify: nobody has qualified for the 2008 Nationals as of yet? Wasn't sure if the "above rules" included the qualifiers in your post.

Thanks,

Josh

A question about the 3 lift qualifying for Nationals, must one re-qualify on those lifts each year?

Whoever has done the above lifts in competition is qualified, but they do not have to calibrated.

This only applies for this year. Next year the qualification process will be re-evaluated. An unofficial count gives around 25 people.

Whoever has done the above lifts in competition is qualified, but they do not have to calibrated.

This only applies for this year. Next year the qualification process will be re-evaluated. An unofficial count gives around 25 people.

Makes sense

So there is no timeline on the comps? For example, your lifts from BBB3 would count?

Fellas-

I think this is a very good list, I do think you need a few more things on the list for qualifiers starting next year, that way you won't have to be re-making the list every year (DO, DU bending, maybe a certain size Blob, RT, Bomb, different pinch apparati, Inch DB's, etc) if it's going to eventually be a permanent list, maybe eventually have a qualifying list for all standardized events (I.E. most all equipment from FBBC or IM, that are easily accessible for promoters) . Otherwise an excellent start.

I'd assume that to qualify for 2008 nats, you'll have had to get qualifying lifts from the list in a competition within 12 months prior to nats?

Keep up the good work, I'd be glad to help if you guys need anything.

Edited by John Beatty

Yeah good question John, do the lifts have to be comp lifts? Or can they be training lifts?

Oh and I definitely agree there should be more on the qualifying lifts list.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Right now we are in the season already. Basically the season of qualifiers started after August 26th, which was when we had GGC. If I remember correctly, the first contest after that was BBB 3.

Yeah good question John, do the lifts have to be comp lifts? Or can they be training lifts?

Oh and I definitely agree there should be more on the qualifying lifts list.

They must be competition lifts.

Only comp lifts count. BBB3 counts.

Yippie then my #3 close counts does it not? Woohoo! I'm a third of the way there then.

SO, where will Nats be? Will there be a comp for non qualified athletes as well?

Brent

I like the direction this is all going in and look forward to seeing more progress here as the final result should be really good for our sport, as long as we aren't too rigid and allow some flexibility.

Lets rock this sport in 2008 :rock:rock .. neilkaz ..

SO, where will Nats be? Will there be a comp for non qualified athletes as well?

Brent

We've been talking about making the Global Grip Challenge the nationals.

There was also talk about having a novice division at the same contest for non qualified athletes.

Of course you can count Fat Bastard Barbell in as a sponsor.

If one wants to have a grip competition/qualifier before 2008 Nationals, do they just need to follow the general rules on the US Handstrength page?

Also is there a minimum number of competitors? I read the US Handstrength rules a couple of times but I didn't see it. That said, I've always had poor vision :D

Josh,

Awesome that you are thinking of running a contest. You have been to several over the last 3 years, so i would suggest that you qualify to run one.

I am wondering if we should institute an application process for people to become promoters.

On the BHSA forum, it says that in order to be a referee, "All referees must have a proper understanding of the rules and application of same, and an ability to apply this under pressure. A wide knowledge of many different lifts as possible." They also break referees into two groups, "Level 1 refs are those that have refereed already, have competed, promoted and have experience of refereeing and so on. In the case of the three names above all of the above apply.

L1 can coach both competitors and L2 / L3 referees. They can also advise the same on decisions (it must be emphasised that this is done with an eye on improving the lot of the BHSA over other concerns – ie: the BHSA as a whole shall come before a record) as well as advise promoters (not always one and the same).

Level2 refs need to say sit in at one more comp, and have a test of all current events, with a pass given by L1 ref who is giving test.

Just one test needed as they’ve already done some referee/contest action in past."

But it does not say anything about qualified promoters.

No minimum # of competitors specified.

I wrote that comps must be open to the public and announced one month in advance. We may come up with more stringent rules in the future.

Damn Jedd, lots of good points there. Heck, BHSA rules seem fine enough by me.

As far as promoters in say powerlifting, I don't think you need much to get sanctioned. A venue, proper equipment, and some feds require the drug testing. As I am sure you have seen, some promoters suck and some are good. As long as the judging is right, at least we know things aren't screwed there.

Jedd,

We have so far got new promotors to phone us up, and that way we can help them iron any problems out before, and this has worked really well so far.

A BHSA sanctioned All-round Grip contest has 3 or more events in it, and also has to have at least 2 competitors. A supermatch event of 3 or more events will suffice.

In powerlifting, an individual class may only have 2 competitors, and of course the 3 events. This is a contest so this is what we went with.

David

• 3 months later...
The announcement of the events is on my blog, everyone.

http://napalmjedd.blogspot.com

Is there no novice class anymore? If not do I have to have a parent with me to compete? Because if so its going to be hard to convince my dad to go without him being able to do anything. Just curious Jedd, thanks.

P.S. I see you put up my vid of Pfister :D

Looks good. Sadly, I won't be able to make it even as a spectator :(

At the top of the thread 2" V-bar is mentioned and at the bottom the medley is mentioned. Does this mean we're contesting all 6 events?

And that Phister video is crazy! :rock