Question - Why Hand Strength

Jedd Johnson

Just a curious question here. Why is it the several suggested and established names for the organizatiuon seem to always have the words "hand strength" in them?

Why not "Grip Strength?"

After, all, it is Grip Strength we are talking about. Grip covers all the muscles from the elbow down that influence the forearm and hands.

Is there a reason for using "Hand Strength" in the title of these organizations that have not heard of?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Grip doesn't cover extension, wrist flexion/extension/supination/pronation.

We chose 'Hand Strength' as the general public could understand that, whereas when I mention a Grip comp, they ask what's that?

My original idea was to name it the North American Grip Association but like David said you get alot of blank stares and fake nods when you mention "grip". I thought of a few but figured NAHSA would be most easily accepted.

I use the terms interchangeably but I will say that when my wife tells people that I do grip competitions they tend to think that we all stand around and close the plastic handled grippers. The way I explain a "grip" competition to them is by describing it as like World's Strongest Man except all of the events are based on hand and wrist strength.

...but I will say that when my wife tells people that I do grip competitions...

I bet that's great for a laugh - "My husband's into grip and grip competitions". :blink

...but I will say that when my wife tells people that I do grip competitions...

I bet that's great for a laugh - "My husband's into grip and grip competitions". :blink

Haha that's why my friends have no idea I do this stuff. They'd laugh their asses off at me if they did :tongue:D

It's definitely what the novice thinks of. When I started my website, I chose gripfaq.com because it made sense to me. Later I figured out that it's a crummy URL from a search engine perspective, because no one searches grip except guys that already know. I've had to pepper my site with the words hand strength in order to make it do well in the search engine. I still always think grip, but I make a point to write hand.

Another good point, thanks Scott.

Grip also covers things mechanical and artificial as per the google ads on some forums including ours which refer to such items. With hand strength they doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...